Editing in Premiere Pro CC

paulisphotoman

I am new to using CC, but am editing my new Cinematography demo. I was wondering, when exporting, what setting(s) should I be using as I have a mix of SD and some HD footage. I am exporting for use on YouTube, Vimeo (H.264), editing on Windows 7.

Douglas

The best export option is really dictated by your timeline. Hopefully you are editing on an HD timeline, and if so, then export with one of Media Encoder's Vimeo presets.

But if you want some further advice, throw out all the SD stuff and start over. Nobody, I mean nobody, wants to see your SD stuff.

The best export option is really dictated by your timeline. Hopefully you are editing on an HD timeline, and if so, then export with one of Media Encoder's Vimeo presets.

But if you want some further advice, throw out all the SD stuff and start over. Nobody, I mean nobody, wants to see your SD stuff.
Unfortunately Doug is dead on on this one. I worked at a news station that lingered on SD longer than they should have and while some of my favorite news feature shooting was done there It is utterly useless.

cameragod

I don't know. If you are just exporting to youtube or vimeo then by the time its up there good SD can look like HD.

Douglas

I don't know. If you are just exporting to youtube or vimeo then by the time its up there good SD can look like HD.
What??? You need to get a new computer, a better monitor, or more bandwidth. There is a huge difference between good SD and HD.

Tv Shooter

If "good" SD looked like HD, no one would have spent the money to switch to HD, because the "good" SD would have been just like HD.

paulisphotoman

So if you shoot something in HD but not lit right, as compared to really good looking footage in 1280x720 not 1080, is that useless ?

svp

If you are exporting for YouTube, use the AVCHD 1080/59.94i setting for your timeline. When you lay SD video down it won't fill the screen. Use the motion effect to zoom in on the SD video until the screen is full. Export using .h264 and the YouTube 1080/30p preset. Premiere does a very good job of scaling SD video so that the finish export doesn't look as bad as other NLE's I've used such as AVID.

paulisphotoman

I am playing with exporting with CC, am wondering if I can use 1920x1080p footage along with 1280x720P when exporting (??). My recent footage is a mix of both so I'm wondering if I have to make separate timelines for either or if I can put them on one time line then which exporting do I use (??). I have no formal training in HD, learning on my own.

Necktie Boy

I used an older version of Premiere Pro....

I know that 720p footage has to be sized up since the frame size is different than 1080. Make sure all frame rates are the same. You have to decide what size timeline you plan to use. The rule is go with what you have the most, and convert the other footage.

You can do it on the timeline if the frame rate is the same. You can use Adobe Media Encoder to convert the footage. I would test both ways to see what looks better. I think they will look the same. By converting outside Premiere, editing will be faster.

It depends where you plan to show the footage? H264 seems to look fine and everything seems to play them. Files are small enough to be put on a tablet, phone, or thumb drive. My last interview, I had all of the above with a mini speaker for the tablet. We ended up watching on the tablet. In my case, Instead of a demo reel, I had the entire footage of projects to watch. They wanted to watch complete stories and ideas. So, it worked out very well. I did have a demo reel along to watch if they just wanted to see bits and pieces.

I have not used the YouTube or Vimeo presets. I have found it crushes the footage a bit more than I like. It may be a problem on my end. I think I went with H264, and let Vimeo crush the footage for playback. Takes a bit longer, but the quality is better to me.

Really no big difference between SD and HD video works.