dvc pro audio problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

<yellowbeta>

HI, I'm using a panasonic dvc pro camera. I've noticed that the audio in ch. 1 is starting to cut out now and then. I know the mic and cord are good. Soooooo..., has anyone else had this problem with the camera????

I ask because are station has 2 cameras with the same problem and no one can figure out what's wrong.

Thanks

TXPhotog

Now I'm definitely not an expert at this but when we got DVC Pro, it turns out that the levels that the audio would cut out at because it was
over-modulating were lower then the Beta SP we were shooting on, I think the levels were something like the peak for SP was -20 and the DVC was something like -10. So maybe just try lowering your ch. 1 volume that it is recorded at. Well just a simple thought but sometimes it's the stupidest things that we overlook that are causing the problem because you expect it to be something big. Good luck.

P

<PMartel>

Have you checked the connection to the camera? We had the same problem and the engineers discovered the connections aren't mounted on anything, they're just kind of "free-floating" (engineer term) with a couple of soder-points to the board. Haven't had any problems since. Now if only we could figure out how to keep the edit decks from slipping.

Peace,
PMartel

mrphotog

Check to make sure your phantom power is off. We have had several problems with our wireless mics when the phantom power is switched on.
They would sometimes cut out and sometimes have a low buzz or hum.
Also at my last station (on a Philips DVC) we had the audio levels set to high and that would also cause the cut out problem.

Shakey and Blue
Guess what... after a while they do slip in time code. Our DVC Pro shop is living proof. All of our machines are slipping in either mode.
Jane

P

<Poor Photog>

PMartel is right.

I used to work with DVCPro and we had that problem.

Our engineers said that the audio inputs were designed poorly. They are close to the bottom of the camera.

When you have a mic or a mic cord plugged into the back, DON'T set it down on the ground. If you do, and the mic/mic cord contacts the ground first, it can wear down or break the connection inside.

I'd get some headphones.

Good luck!

PMartel

Thank you Jane!

Shakey & Blue,

We edit in timecode, in control-track and any other way that occurs to us and the darn machines continue to slip. If we stay on top of cleaning the decks we can keep the slippage down to only a few frames...unfortunately, now the decks don't want to synch up and we have to change our inpoints constantly. Part of the problem stems from the camera changing timecode each time we hit record or whenever we change batteries or tapes while shooting. It's very frustrating! And yes, I've had the engineers replace the internal battery and nothing changed.
I miss my SX!!!
Peace,
PMartel

C

<cameragod>

Originally posted by PMartel:
Part of the problem stems from the camera changing timecode each time we hit record or whenever we change batteries or tapes while shooting. It's very frustrating! And yes, I've had the engineers replace the internal battery and nothing changed.
[/QB]
Are you hitting the return button after you shut down, change batteries etc?
If your TC settings are right that should sync up the time code on the camera.

PMartel

Not hitting the return button. Have never had to. Camera dropped three frames between shots today and I didn't change anything other than the angle I was shooting. Would hitting the return help?
Peace,
PMartel

cameragod

Every time you power up and want to have continuos timecode you should hit the return button, but if you are having breaks in timecode between normal shots then ether the head are dirty or warn, or there is something seriously wrong with your camera.

turdpolisher1

jane and pmartel,

we've been on dvc pro for 3 years. only one of our 6 edit bays has the slip problem. it is also the only one set with a 3 second pre-roll. the machines can't sync up and the sync switch has to be turned to "off" to work. (the photog in that bay seems to likeit htat way)every other one works without a problem.

you might want to try a 5 sec. pre-roll if you haven't alreay.

Shaky & Blue

We edit in timecode, in control-track and any other way that occurs to us and the darn machines continue to slip... Part of the problem stems from the camera changing timecode each time we hit record or whenever we change batteries or tapes while shooting.
I don't think that's part of the problem. I'm guessing that's the whole problem.

DVCPro requires unbroken timecode to edit smoothly. There is a menu setting in some of the cameras that allows you to choose whether the camcorder deck syncs up on the existing timecode on the tape (without having to hit the return button), or just starts recording from the last timecode it remembers. If you set it so that it syncs up, it takes a second or two longer to start recording, but you get unbroken timecode. If you set it so that it doesn't sync first, it starts recording almost immediately but leaves a timecode break that gives you editing headaches later.

I can't recall the actual name of the menu setting, but it was in the 700, 810, 910 and HD cameras that I have used. You will have to go through your manual to find it and change it. If I remember correctly it had an obscure name and location, so you'll need a little patience. Once you change it, however, you'll find editing a whole lot friendlier.

Originally posted by Jane Boulen:
Guess what... after a while they do slip in time code. Our DVC Pro shop is living proof. All of our machines are slipping in either mode.
I have had shooters swear to me on numerous occasions that their decks were slipping in timecode. Almost every time, they were unable to demonstrate the problem to me when I stood in the edit bay and watched them edit. Photographers are notorious for just assuming they know what the problem is and NOT taking the time to scientifically track it down. That's why engineers get so frustrated with us, because when we make a claim about something being wrong with our gear they can't be sure if it's really the problem we tell them or just an unjustified assumption on our part. Like them, I can't believe it until I actually see it.

Furthermore, an engineer at one of my stations who was trained by Panasonic explained that it should be impossible for the deck to slip in timecode. When in timecode, the decks lock on to the specific timecode number that exists on the tape as the point at which they begin recording. If they can't sync up by the time they reach that point, they are designed not take the edit at all. That's the source of all that backing up and trying again.

The decks slip in CTL because the CTL numbers move in relation to the timecode. When you shuttle the tape in CTL, the deck keeps track of where you are by counting frames instead of actually referencing the timecode laid on the tape. Sometimes it loses count. If you zero the control track counter at a specific timecode and run the tape back and forth several times, you'll notice on many decks that the the zero point is no longer at the same timecode. That's the source of slipping in CTL, and some decks are worse than others.

Earlier I said that shooters were almost never able to show me that it was slipping in timecode. There was one exception. We were using external controllers that had their own menus to control the decks. In the menu for the controller we found a "frame delay" option that had been set to delay the edit point by three frames. This had originally been done (and was necessary) when we were editing from DVCPro field tapes to MII archive tapes during our conversion to DVCPro. Once we went completely to DVCPro, the frame delay should have been changed.

The way we discovered this was through careful observation, and we found that the slip was exactly the same each time. Seems like a simple observation, right? Wrong. It took four months before someone realized the slip was consistent and then only after a concerted effort after hours to find the problem.

BTW, that frame delay setting is in the menus in some of the decks also, so it's just a matter of time before some bonehead changes it and screws everyone else.

Finally, these problems are not exclusive to DVCPro. SX also slips in CTL and gets confused in TCR if you have breaks or glitches in the timecode. It seems that often when I hear people complain about DVCPro's problems, their complaints actually stem from their own bias against the "inferior" Panasonic product and their own unwillingness to learn to think the way the gear thinks.

Tyna

To PMartel:

"Part of the problem stems from the camera changing timecode each time we hit record or whenever we change batteries or tapes while shooting."

I am having that very same problem! Does yours pick times like 14 hours out of the middle of nowhere? Also, mine will overheat....the viewfinder starts horizontally scrolling, and it records it that way.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the camera, even though if I could I'd trade it in a heartbeat for a beaten down BetacamSP.

PMartel

Thanks for all the great feedback on a topic I sort of highjacked. My apologies to the writer of the original post.

Our DvcPro decks DO slip there is NO question! Having said that I have to tell you we are editing from the 440-player to a 450-recorder with an A-850 external controller. I'll check the menu settings Shaky and Blue mentioned.
Our engineers have told us to edit in -/+1 for better accuracy. I wish I could say we've noticed some consistent slippage but it's all over the place. We've had them slip more than two seconds...and we double checked the in-points for confirmation.
If it's "almost impossible" for the decks to slip why does the manual discuss it in the trouble shooting section?

Viewfinders! AAarrggghhh! The image in mine has actually begun to shrink and I have little to no contrast. Although, I can say I've never had the camera record any of the viewfinder effects. That sounds more like an internal problem.

Keep the tips coming! I have to admit to being a Huge Fan of Sony products, I used them for eight years! Panasonic has yet to prove itself to me.
Peace,
PMartel

PMartel

Tyna,
14-hours? Mine picks days! I've actually had timecode switch from a minute-30 to 33:14:27:06 after changing batteries. Where's that come from?
Peace,
PMartel

Shaky & Blue

Having said that I have to tell you we are editing from the 440-player to a 450-recorder with an A-850 external controller.
Well that's interesting. Understand that you are using bottom of the line gear, and those decks really weren't designed to do what you're asking. When one of my stations first went to DVCPro, our Panasonic rep told us we could edit from a 440 to a 450 with a cheap external controller. We assembled the system and... it didn't work. Panasonic's engineers kept saying it should work.

Then one finally said, "No, that won't work." We dismantled the system and used the decks to take and send feeds.

I assumed you were using something at a higher level. Sorry. Look for those menu settings anyway, just to be sure. And call Panasonic and pester them about it, just for revenge, until they give you a straight answer.

P

<PMartel>

Thanks Shaky!
I have pestered the Panasonic reps and engineers. I think they have caller-id though. :D
We had heard that the decks shouldn't work but they do and that's not going to change. The good news is we have an AVID that will be available to news soon...but it's over 5-years old. Gotta love small market news!
Peace,
PMartel

Y

<yellowbeta>

Thanks for the responces.

I passed along the info to the repair crew. As for my problem, turns out the mic went bad. oppps.

F

<flipped switch>

the dvc pro camera takes a superb picture. everything else about the format sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.