Diffusion for interview

tschelle

For you guys who have made the switch to LED, do any of you still use Rifa lights?

Or are there other options for quick-deploy soft boxes? Either for LED 1x1 lights, or LED fresnels?

I've grown tired of traditional soft boxes & speed rings, and have been using Road Rags silks lately, but have been trying to find something else, but not sure what.

Run&Gun

For "formal sit-down interviews" I've actually started shooting through a 4'x4' now. But for more down 'n dirty or space constrained times when I'm using my LED's(Astra's), I use them with the Chimera soft boxes designed for them and other "1x1" panels. It has a internal collapsible frame and you just pop it open and attach it to the panel with elastic loops that are sewn onto it.

Necktie Boy

LED's are harsh lighting. Soft boxes are okay, but don't diffuse that much. Shooting through a larger diffusion, like a 4x4 makes a difference.

The road rags are very good. Don't know what is the problem. Very easy to set up and use. You can get better diffusion with them than a soft box mounted on the LED. Distance and size of silk will create a softer look.

As for the Rifa light, it's not bad as long you have one with the higer wattage. It's a very easy light to use. Small and light to carry around. One major problem with soft boxes is controlling the spread. Without honey combs, the light is spread out over the subject. To control the direction of the light, honey combs or flags to control spill.

tschelle

I like using the road rags. I was just wondering if there was something better, but it sound like I should just keep doing what I'm doing. I'm planning on adding more options to my diffusion kit. I need something bigger for a Sola 9. Sounds like a 4x4 would be the way to go.

The thing I liked about using the soft boxes was less spill on the background with out additional stands and flags.

Necktie Boy

Yea, I am a Matthews fan boy!

I have been using them for awhile. I do have the smaller ones, but I use small Fresnel like lights to control the beam and use the barn doors to control spill. I do have regular silks in different sizes.

Even with softboxes, if you don't have honey combs on them, the light goes everywhere. With LED's, you do need to use flags to control spills. Actually, with any light, using a flag to control light is a good idea.

Size of silk and distance from light source will determine softness of the light.

As for using more stands, the Road Rags can be used with the Road grips(Not correct name). Arms and grips heads that mount on the light stand.You should use sandbags to weight the stand.

Even if you go with a larger 4x4 silk, you will still have to control spill.

tschelle

Are these the grip heads your talking about? I haven't used these before.
Matthews Mini Grip Head 350584

Focused

I use my chimeras with my westcott flex lights. C47 them to a speed ring and your done. Great light control and no heat.

Focused

It's 32x24. Video Small I think. Using old tota speed ring with clips and an umbrella mount to secure ring to a stand. Did this today infact.