Dichroic Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the 8 months that I have been shooting, not once have I used the Dichroic lens on our frezzies....just wondering in what situations it should be used and if you are using it, do you white balance with it flipped over the frezzie, or do you white balance before you flip it on?

(Sin)ical

The the filter is used to bump up your color temperature to something closer to daylight 5600K.
You will want to white balance with it on, and ideally you'll use it when you need some daylight. If your subject is backlit by the setting sun, turn it on and blast them with it. It works well in afternoon and evening live shots, maybe you'll scrim down the sun, and light your talent with diachroics.

shooter k

Originally posted by PhotogRene:
just wondering in what situations it should be used and if you are using it, do you white balance with it flipped over the frezzie, or do you white balance before you flip it on?
Early morning before sunrise and just after sundown until it the sky gets black. Yes, re-white with the filter over the light and the light is on. Also you would have to be in filter 3 at those time. Those times of the day the sun's light is still the predominant source of light in the sky. If you went to filter 1, your video would be blue.

You can also use the light when it's a bright sunny day, but the subject is in the shade. You shoot on filter 2 for that.

I'm sure there's other situations, but those are when I use my dichroic over my frezzy.

S

<steede>

White balance with the filter over the light. Your Frezzi is a 3200K light. The Dichroic balances it to about 5600K I believe. I rarely use a camera light or a Dichroic for that matter, but the filter does come in handy outdoors when you need a little fill light on interviews. Hope this helps.

-steede

D

<dichro>

I don't use my frezzi dichroic filter very much because when you need 5600k, there is usually so much other light that a small frezzi doesn't make a difference. If I need light when it's cloudy or sunny, I use 650's with dichros. If there is no power around, a reflector. I have found that turning on a frezzi with a dichro during the day is like spitting into the ocean.

TC

I have a dichro, and don't use it on the Frezzi either. I find using the light without it on filter 3 gives a nice warmth in outdoor situations.

D

<dichro>

forgot to add above: Dawn and Dusk are times when a dichro frezzi can help.

?

<()>

I use it mostly when subject is inside near a window and needs a boost of light to even things out.

hunt tv

I think <0> has got it right. The only time that filter will work would be under low levels of daylight i.e. inside near a window...otherwise your gonna need at least 2-3 hundred watts pumping through that filter to make a dent. Also..I did a beautiful live shot this morning at 5:40 AM....used dicro filter on colortran/250 watts, outside...used filter 1...if the camera cannot cover the range as far a color temp...it will tell you...if you need Max depth of field, and it's overcast, start with filter 1 (just make shure the iris ring isn't pegged). Please correct me if you have had any problems.

stroke the hokie

Let me start by saying i hate flourescent lights..when you have a situation when you can't turn them off, i've found that if you use filter 3 with a dichroic, it helps to eliminate that washed out look.

Sportsguy

Originally posted by stroke the hokie:
Let me start by saying i hate flourescent lights..when you have a situation when you can't turn them off, i've found that if you use filter 3 with a dichroic, it helps to eliminate that washed out look.
Or you could just use a Minus Green Warmcard...

PBSphotog

I try to shoot interviews so the subject is looking into the key. Of course sometimes this is clearly impossible. Especially in news. But when I have some control, and the light is plain noon-time-ugly and I can't find shade, I'll put the Frezzi with the dichroic on a stand and put it off to the side of the interviewee, hoping it'll add a little kick. It can help fill ugly shadows, too. With the dichroic, this is for daylight, of course. And of course it depends on the intensity of the lamp you're using. Then I do the "reporter sandwich" thing with the camera on one side of the reporter and the tiny light on the stand on the other side so the subject is looking into the key and not the fill. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Often there's just no time to do this dance, so you've got to figure out how to position the person so they look best in bad light.

Shaky & Blue

Originally posted by TC:
I have a dichro, and don't use it on the Frezzi either. I find using the light without it on filter 3 gives a nice warmth in outdoor situations.
To me, that always looks like a horrible mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.