Daily Blog from Athens

Status
Not open for further replies.

b-roll

Administrator
Staff member
Lynn French of KPNX in Phoenix, AZ is heading to Athens, Greece to cover the Summer Olympic Games.

We've started a "blog" (even though I hate the word "blog") to allow Lynn the ability to give us daily updates while she's there.

Check it out at: http://b-roll.net/blog

Thanks to Lynn for giving us play by play behind the scenes of the play by play.

kev

p.s. Have I told you how much I hate the word, "blog?"

[ August 06, 2004, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: b-roll ]

DGTate

C'mon Kevin, Blog is good. Go to Afghanistan at http://dgtate.blogspot.com I'm just a freelancer though.
I figure I'll hhok it to this post so not to annoy you with another "blog" post!!

[ August 06, 2004, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: DGTate ]

Lenslinger

How very cool! I look forward to experiencing the inner workings of the Olympic Games - without all the jet lag and stomach disorders! Kudos to Lynn French for making the extra effort on what has to be a taxing trip. And Congratulations to you, Kev. This beast you've created continues to grow. What's next - photogs in space?

Corporate Management

Originally posted by Lenslinger:
What's next - photogs in space?
Whose ass do I have to kiss to get *that* gig?

And I'll bet that would be one time the reporter wouldn't mind carrying some of the stuff...well, maybe once we'd escaped gravity's grasp, anyway.

Newshutr

Forgive me for this...

but....

blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog

photogguy

Originally posted by Newshutr:
Forgive me for this...

but....

blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog blog
Dang, you stole my line(s).

D

<dean martin>

Lynn,

Sony will usually have several service engineers at the Olympics. They will usually be assigned to help NBC Sports most of the time. You can probably find out where they are by calling the NBC News assignment desk in Athens or check at the AOB. They might have the time to work on your broken edit deck. FYI, Anton Bauer & Canon will have service office there too.

J

<Joey>

Get to the good stuff already

Like the Greek Love experience

That is what we all want to hear about.

LE French

Thank you <dean>, Sony does indeed have a service center here, but after they wanted a hundred euros just to look at the deck (about $127) and that does not include the repair, our operations guru from Gannett found an engineer to pop the tape out---took less than 60 seconds. Anton Bauer is here and they are great, they have visted every photog and given out lots of cool pins and t-shirts along with on-site repairs to stuff I did not realize could be better (he took one look at my Ultra light and took it apart, changed the shoeing and got it out of the way of the strap clip).
Joey, right now I am just looking for a good night's sleep and a decent cup of coffee, all of my energy is going to shooting and getting on the air. But as much as we get frisked at all of the security check points , it may qualify for what you are looking for.
Thanks for the good words my dear Lenslinger!
Lynn

hey poopsquare!

Are you sure you don't want to come back and spend 12 hours with me waiting for Bush (the President)! Just wanted to say hello, and we miss you here already. Good job with the articles, and don't forget it could be worse. You could be here and tired! Rock out monkey! And for God's sake, don't flush! Have a Happy Day!!

Mighty Mike

pinecone

Lynn,

Love the reports. Sounds brutal. If only some of the producers could experience those "fun" assigments we get out-of-town (or country) they would change their perspective.

We cut and fed five packages today

Five packages? Are they all different content or are some of them similar/reworked material? Different versions for different shows.

Not that there is much less work involved...

Lensmith

Just a note to say thanks to Lynn for sharing her experience. The blog has become a daily must read for me. Keep up the great work!

Deaf and Blind

I assume you lot are 0nly getting the NBC feed from Athens? Some of the "pool feed" shots I have seen could best be described as amature hour.
Wildly over exposed, one camera which went green every time it panned CCU / camera operators making super fast exposure changes, wild framing, very rough panning the list goes on.
I am starting to wonder if anyone is watching the out-put monitors, wave form/vector or if it's just the cameramen & a person doing the vision switching and just throwing it out there.
I saw some right royal fluck ups at sydney but this seems to be consistantly bad at every outside venue.

addixicon

Technical DGS...Out of curiosity...How is NBC dealing with coverage in Europe? I mean...is HD NTSC or PAL specific?

Menlow

Originally posted by addixicon:
Technical DGS...Out of curiosity...How is NBC dealing with coverage in Europe? I mean...is HD NTSC or PAL specific?
NHK Japan is doing all of NBC's HD stuff. Should be all shot ATSC 1080i. Too bad our rinky-dink NBC affiliate here does not do HD or digital yet. Its supposed to be pretty good looking, not to mention completely seperate (and better) coverage.

focusthis

I saw an EasyRig in the background of an interview tonight. Any other cool "toys" you've seen there?

Lensmith

It's a little sad to see the end come to Lynn and her Blog in Athens. I've enjoyed every word Lynn! Have a great vacation and I offer a sincere thanks for the extra effort you made to share your experiences with the rest of us. It made watching the Olympics a little more fun as I searched for your face among the photogs!

Status
Not open for further replies.