cure for a green camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

<steede>

What's the best way to remedy a camera that always looks a little bit green. It's not terribly offensive looking, but I notice a slight bit of green especially when shooting indoors w/3200 lamps. Our engineers don't know what they're doing, we can't send it out, and if I tried it myself I'm scared I would really mess up the cam. FYI I have a D600, so I've got a plethora of menu settings that I can tweak.

thanks,
steede

Tippster

The Fly on the Wall
I'd ask a colleague with a d600 if I could "read" his set-up card into my camera, then check the video. If it's better, just save the settings on your card. Otherwise there are several engineers (don't know their names) who will sell you 600 set-ups specific to your configuration (read: Lens) and shooting preference (soft skin-tone detail, warm, etc.) You just tell them what you need. I think Frank Litz in Alexandria, Virginia can hook you up. No, I don't have a number for you, you'll have to call information.

Shaky & Blue

I just happen to have Frank's number sitting on my desk:

703-838-5985

You might also try white balancing on one of those minus green warm cards everyone seems to love so much. There's probably a banner for them at the top of this page right now.

G

<GOODFOOT>

If You haven't yet, try black balancing...a co-worker once told me that green video could be caused by a bad black balance. Other than that, sometimes flourescent lights can look a little green, there are some "warm" cards you can white balance on to compensate for this. Good Luck..

GOODFOOT

S

<steede>

Thanks to all for the tips. I've done the warm balance thing and that just adds orange on top of green, thus not helping me at all. I haven't tried the minus green cards though, so maybe I'll give that a shot. Black balance is a o.k., I've done a bunch of them.

Still curious though if anyone knows of any menu settings I can adjust in my 600 that could help me out? I know the right way to do this is to have an engineer look at it on a scope with a chip chart, and if nothing else works I'll give this Frank Litz guy a call or maybe try Macie, but in the meantime if I could eyeball it myself that would be fine.

thanks a bunch for the speedy replies.

cheers,
steede

P

<Poor Photog>

I'm not sure about the d600, but I had a Sony UBW-100 (I think) that had a green tint and the video looked washed out in broad daylight.

I'm not really good with the advanced settings or what they mean, but I looked at the menu to find that the pedestal setting (M. Ped on the Sony) had been turned up all the way.

The pedestal setting, I learned, helps compensate for too much or too little light on a subject that is in contrast with the background (i.e. backlit).

I set it to the factory default and it took care of the problem.

Good luck!

Dedline

ya, check your ped or black level in the menus somewhere and see if you can set your gamma back to default. as others have said, save ur settings first in case u have to go back!

F

<FLETCH, F FLETCH>

It's probably the ball bearings. or it could be the fetzer valuve, now you wrap that valve w/ some gauze pads, and get about 40 quarts of antifreeze, preston, no make it quaker state. :D

K

<KTUU>

use the minus green card from the warm cards kit. I had the same problem.

konman

The camera might need adjustments of many variables, like white knee, preset white, gamma, black pedestals, flare, and more, so:
point your camera to smth white, zoom in on it until there is only this white in the frame, open iris and let zebra appear on some of that white thing. Now white balance. After that start closing iris and monitor what happens (you can record it and watch it later). Note when (if any) coloration appears -- we'll go from there.

P

<Pixflix>

If the maint. guys are no good, then go to the
News Director and tell him or her that your
camera is BROKEN. No N.D. in their right mind
would want something as valuable as a 600 to
not work properly. Somehow, I'll bet if the boss
knows, they'll find a way to fix it. And if you
need to send it out, SONY now has a maint. insurance program for Cameras or send it to
Macie Vidoe in Boston..they're the SONY gurus.

B

<Been there>

I came back with green video once, and it turned out to be dirty tape heads. When they start to go, you'll get all sorts of tinted video, even purple!!!

Sounds like your shop needs a REAL engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.