Common Sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaxJedi1

When the engineer asks who the talent for the live shot is I reply with a quick -- "I'm the talent and Joe is my meat puppet" Usually warrents a laugh from our "techy".

P

<pin me>

When I clip a lav mike on a female I always say
"Pretend I'm your prom date" ;)

O

<Oh ya>

Originally posted by <pin me>:
When I clip a lav mike on a female I always say
"Pretend I'm your prom date" ;)
I say "this is the only time I am going to get physical with you"

by they way..its Mic Mike

C

<chase>

Makin' it up - as in:

Interview subject: "Anything exciting goin on?"

Me: "Nah, we're just makin' it up today."

--------------------------------------------------
Lawyered - as in:

Photog: "Got me a script yet?"

Reporter: "Not yet, I have to get it lawyered."

Reporter complaining about legals. Reply:

"Ahh, come on. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story."

Fisher

On multiple camera shoots ask your fellow shooter (say it fast), "three two on one with zero D B?"

Meaning: Are you getting a 3.2K color temperature on filter 1 and shooting without gain?

Works best when your subject is in the room. I've had people ask what language I'm speaking.

:D

Widescreen

When out on a shoot and you have shot all that you can in overlay on a subject, exhausting all angles, I always say...

"There's only so many ways you can peel a banana"

Latvos

To nervous on screen talent I'd say "Just relax, its my first time too"

or else "you look great, I've put the Elle Macpherson/ Jack Nicholson filter on".

To signify to other members of the crew that we are not rolling tape, just going through the motions we "shoot with the strawberry filter"

We better get shooting "cause the sun is dropping like a stone"

A junior reporter is a "spoon" cause he needs to be spoon fed.

"It'll burn off" said by the cameraman whilst looking upward at an overcast sky.

z-one-b

«Garbage in => garbage out»

«You can put make-up on a pig, but at the end of the day, it's still a pig»

2000lux

I always ask people, "What did you have for breakfast?" rather than to count to ten for a sound check. They speak naturally so you get a more accurate sound level, and it makes them laugh and relax a bit.

The other day I shot a VO of some college kids making a talent show tape to send to the troops overseas. When they did sound checks (which was often because their gear was even worse than mine) they kept saying, "Can you hear me now?" I guess we'll be hearing that forever when these kids join us in the industry!

:rolleyes:

-Brian

S

<ShooterTim>

I always tell people just after mic-ing them up, Ok... this isn't gonna hurt me at all. Tends to make people smile and break the tension just before an interview.
Another is, this light is gonna be bright but it'll make you look better on tv.

keep rollin'

timmy ;)

A

<A Classic>

Works well with the FNG's:

When someone can't figure out what's wrong ask him if he hit the DFO switch, or is the DFO switch on?

(Dumb F*cking Operator....)

Even better when someone tries it, and you tell them to shove it and give you some real help (nailed someone trying it to me on a big NBC Network shoot...being the FNG and all)

-Zoo

W

<will>

When in a time crunch I say...I don't make art...I make air.

Once in a huge crunch I was cutting in a truck and just before we went live...I was fretting over one last shot. The reporter looked at me and said...."Let's just slap it together and get it on." I almost fell out of the truck laughing.
-Will

If I'm with a reporter who's in a bad mood (and has a sense of humor) I'll say, "Man, somebody had a big ol' bowl of Bitch Flakes this morning."

N

<Nematode>

A few from the Heartland

"speed on before you get pee'd on..."
"it ain't art but it's in..."

"let's gas this puppy" as in
"don't come to work at the pound if you're not ready to gas some puppies"

"prod the meat puppet (cue talent)"

tvdood

Here's another one... when we're having a problem, I usually blame it on the Operator by saying "hmmm... must be a short between the Camera and the Headset." or "hmmm... must be a short between the seat and switcher."

Status
Not open for further replies.