Common Sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomDrive

Do you ever find yourself saying something often while in the field and shooting a story?

I don't mean the colorful vocabulary we tend to sling during an edit crunch in the back of a live truck with minutes to spare. ;)

I find that, when trying to find a way to shoot something and we come up with multiple ideas, I say, "It's tape; we can burn it."

photogguy

"Yeah, that stuck to the tape." Yes, I stole that one from Letterman.

Ooh, and another I stole..."It's better than good, it's done."

cameragod

“I’ll buy that for a dollar” gets a laugh about the first 8 or 9 time I say it.

F

<filter4preset>

"why not, half of what we do borders on fraud anyway."

"if you want to be on tv, go to college, get a degree in journalism, do a few internships, get a job in a small market, put together a great tape, send it to the news director, if you get hired ask the assignment editor to work with me. then I'll put you on tv. And no, you can't say hi to your mom."

BoomDrive

Originally posted by <filter4preset>:
"why not, half of what we do borders on fraud anyway."
I'm lucky I wasn't drinking anything when I read this. Hilarious!

"if you want to be on tv, go to college, get a degree in journalism, do a few internships, get a job in a small market, put together a great tape, send it to the news director, if you get hired ask the assignment editor to work with me. then I'll put you on tv. And no, you can't say hi to your mom."
There's a guy whose signature has another example of this.

H

<Here's One>

After a less than great story I often say...

"Well... at least it beats color bars and tone."

tvdood

We have two sayings that use fairly often... when we're LIVE in the field it's "no biggie... we'll fix it in post." The other saying that we use indoors mostly is, "that sucked less than normal."

Cambot Mk. II

"I wonder how many people's mothers I must look like because someone always says 'Hi Mom' when I'm around."

My favorite is when we're interviewing a nervous person:

"Alright, now just look at the reporter and totally ignore me... I know she's a lot easier to look at than I am anyway."

This usually does a great job of breaking the ice and loosening up people.

(Sin)ical

When leaving the station to shoot live shots, I used to always say "I'll see you on tv." It works at the end of an interview as well.

2000lux

Back at my last shop, a producer coined a phrase that stayed with the editor pool:

"Better crap than black!" He meant a black hole in the package of course.

There was also, "It's only cable."

While we're going through the process of telling people to ignore the camera and lights and just talk to the reporter, I often say some thing like, "I'm not here." They laugh and then I say, "I can't tell you how many places I haven't been."

-Brian

N

<NLEditor>

"I will burn it to tape soon...leave me alone!"

"My vibrator is going off"

"You want me to do what?"

"can you hear me now? can you hear me now? Can you hear me now?"

"What time is it?"

"I love it when I feel the tape slide across the hot head. The lub from the tape keeps the temp down and in turn make a clean copy"

"Stick it right there. Ya! I like it when it ejects"

D

<Don't...>

My intern supervisor used to always say to me before I went out, "Don't F_ck it up". It worked. I now work there and make him say it to me before I go out on a shoot.

livedownunder

To a housewife that's a witness, and doesn't want to be interviewed because her hair is a mess ... "It will be ok, I have my special lens on that witl fix that".

My farewell to other crews when leaving a job .. "See ya's at the big one".

On the 2-way to the COS when returning from a job .. "I'm on the rebound"

When following a fire truck or ambulance on the way to a big story .. "I have a red light escourt"

J

<Junk Story>

On a stupid, small-market story: "We're taking chicken s**t and making chicken salad."

H

<Hey YOU>

"You want me to keep the mast up! Screw you! Theres lightning all around us you dumbass!"

"go ahead rat on me you worthless peace of trash"

"Do you want me to show you the mast I keep with me everywhere I go?!"

"I just used it on your wife"

Status
Not open for further replies.