Changing Camera Technology. What do you want to see?

svp

Camera technology is changing rapidly. With news in mind, what features would you like to see? Maybe the camera companies will read this and think about our suggestions. For our station, here's what we'd like to see:

1. Camera connects to a cloud or station server back at the station remotely through wifi or a USB 4G modem so editors can log into your camera and download the video they need without the need for a photographer to stop and feed video. I know some cameras like the JVC 890's have this function.

2. Bluetooth wireless audio. In addition to the headphone jacks on the camera, I'd like to see the ability to connect the camera to a bluetooth device such as wireless bluetooth headphones to monitor audio. This would allow for multiple people to pair their device to the camera for audio monitoring.

3. Bluetooth or WiFi to iPad connection. I want the reporter to be able to connect his/her iPad to my camera via a wireless connection and have access to all of the video WITH TIMECODE so he/she can log video without the need to pull cards or use the camera for logging. Ideally, the reporter could access the video and log sound bites while I'm still shooting. Excellent for breaking news. It would also be nice if the reporter could edit simple videos on the app and post them to social media without the need for me to stop shooting.

4. Built-in cellular bonding for LIVE shots. Simply put, we use Teradek Bond Pros and Dejeros for almost all LIVE shots. We don't use ENG trucks much anymore. It would be great if this bonding technology and the 4G cards would built into the camera so all we have to do is turn on and pay for a data plan and you're LIVE anywhere without the external BCNG (Bonded Cellular News Gathering) devices.

These are just a few things I'd like to see soon in newer model cameras built for news.

Sony has already done most or all of this through the WA-100 module for the PMW-400 and the 101 unit for the 300 series. What I wish they would have done is allow the same unit to do bonded and live so that you don't have to carry around a separate live u unit.

Ben Longden

4K, size of a pack of cigarettes with f2.8 optics, a lens with the same wide and tele as my Fujinon, XLR mic inputs, WRR inputs, outputs to SDI/Firewire/SIM card (for 4G Dejero/LiveU), 8 hour battery...