Carnet Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhcamera

I need to get a Carnet ASAP. Leaving Thursday for Canada. In addition to this time frame, I'll be working throughout the week, with limited time to make it to the customs office. Anyone have any ideas how I can get one sooner than later?

dinosaur

Don't quote me, but I do not think you need to have a carnet to travel with gear to Canada because of NAFTA. However you should register your gear w/serial numbers, value and country of manufacture with US Customs in order to return to the US with a minimum of hassles.

Here is the form:
https://forms.customs.gov/customsrf/getformharness.asp?formName=cf-4455-form.xft

Attach a manifest of your gear with a letter from your employer stating that you are traveling to Canada on a news assignment and that you will return all equipment to the US upon completion of the assignment. Take all of your gear listed to the US Customs office at least a day prior to your trip. The US Customs agent will stamp his seal on that form & manifest. Make ten copies of that form with the customs seal on it. Give one copy to Canadian Customs upon entry. Save the original for return to the US.

Call Canadian Customs at your port of entry and ask them about media camera equipment being brought in from the US for temporary use while on assignment. http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/

or find a customs broker in the port of entry and ask them. They may charge you a fee however.

Thomas

hh:

No need to fret. You can get a carnet overnight. You can have one by Tuesday if you want. I needed a carnet and it was Friday evening when I got the call to go to Montreal. I finally got the carnet people in California on the phone and I had the thing the next day.

Here's some words of advice:

You should have a carnet to enter Canada. They strongly urge you to carry one. However, you don't need it, depending on which port of entry you go through. Toronto is a BIG carnet port as is Montreal. But, a certificate of ownership (I forget the exact name) that is signed by US Customs stating you own the gear will also do. The carnet never fails, though. And I once had to pay a thousand dollars to buy a bond to get my gear from the Toronto Customs people. I say, pay the money, get the carnet (it's good for a year) and you won't get hassled at the border.

You get carnets from the United States Council for International Business. The closest service to you is, I believe, in California in Long Beach. Their number is 800-421-9324. Fax 562-590-9564.

There are branches in San Francisco: 800-255-4994, Miami: 800-468-5467, Illinois:800-762-6653 and Houston: 800-257-6394. The headquarters is in New York: 212-354-4480.

There is also a website at www.roanoketrade.com. You can get a carnet via the web.

One thing you want to do is remember that the cost of the carnet is directly tied to the amount of money you say your equipment is worth. Since it is NOT an insurance document, make sure you keep the dollar amounts on your gear way way down. For instance, I state the value of my D600 camera at $15,000. Going even lower should not cause you any problems. When they add up the total value of your equipment, you get charged a percentage for the carnet. So, it makes sense to lowball the gear to keep the cost of the carnet down.

Also, you will need to list everything you MIGHT take with you on a "normal" shoot. If you should not include something on the list, there is a chance that US or foreign customs might notice it and either charge you for not having it listed or confiscate it. So it's better to overdo the list of equipment to include any future jobs you might need the carnet for (as opposed to making the carnet reflect the job you need it fo on Thursday) so that you can use it again if the need should arise. You can always ELIMINATE things from the carnet. There is a space to do that. But what you cannot do is ADD things AFTER you have purchased the carnet.

If you still have concerns or problems, e-mail me at t.fahey@attbi.com, I'll give you my phone number and we can talk tomorrow. But, I know you can have a carnet overnight so you'll be fine.

Thomas

Dino's right, the Certificate of Registration SHOULD work. They might hassle you about it. But if you use it you must say that you are doing a broadcast news job. That's the only thing they respect in Canada in terms of a quid pro quo with the US.

Hess

PRO user
Hey HH,

I was in Canada in late January, and had no problems with just getting a certificate of registration as I croseed into Canada.
I had all of the serial numbers on company letterhead, they made a copy and sent me on my way. I was able to travel back and forth b/w Canada and the states for three days awithout any problems. You just need to hold on to the certificate for the duration of the trip.

Good luck, hope this helped.

Hes.

hhcamera

All,

Thanks for the input.

I spoke with US Customs today, and although a Certificate of Registration should work, the Agent indicated that the best approach to eliminate any "possible" problems, is to have a Carnet.

Roanoke Trade's web site (thank you Tom!) has all the information, and I'm in the process of completing the application. They will fedex the Carnet to me on Wednesday, then I need to scramble to the US Customs office Wednesday afternoon and have them approve everything. All this, while shooting a news story! Fortunatly, my producer is a good friend who understands the dilemma.

This whole process has made me lose five pound. I've come to the conlcusion that the best way to maintain your proper weight is to work freelance and jump through all the hoops. The anxiety level we work at has got to be studied in depth.

Thanks again!

semi

Funny...we can't travel from Canada into the US WITHOUT a carnet. It might work once or twice, but in our experience it depends on the mood of the customs officer. Once, (pre-carnet) we were threatened with not being let in because we had no carnet. So we got one and have used it ever since with no trouble.

And from our end, getting a carnet is a nightmare.

But that's in Canada.

Grangeway

HH,

Whenever I have a shoot in Canada, I leave my gear at home and rent gear either from Matrix Professional Video in Vancouver (Wayne Carignan @ 604.875.6301 ext. 219) or Shooters Broadcast Services, Inc. in Toronto (Arnie Wood @ 416.405.9977).

The Canadian government offers all kinds of incentives for rental houses to rent to foreign crews. Equipment rental rates in Canada are insanely low because of the tax breaks. You won't make as much on your shoot but your cash postion also won't get depleted with ancillary nonsense.

By renting there, you don't have to deal with airline excess baggage hassles, common carrier(FedEx, et al.) shipping charges or the Carnet bond. That bond can be quite expensive and it can take about two to six months to get the bond money back from USCIB.

dhart

Don't forget about your Canadian "work" permit. I was hassled a couple of years ago comming into Toronto airport big-time. But luckily I told the work permit team a couple of funny Canadian stories and they let me go mainly because I was only working one day. With all that gear you're sure to be a target so be prepared to purchase a work permit or have a really good story.

Funny, it seems to be more trouble getting in and out of Canada since NAFTA went into effect. I had a list of my equipment (with prices) documented and signed for by local US Customs which did zip. Steelcase (my client) had their local customs agent "bond" my gear (10% of total value). I'm told it takes them 6 months to get their money back after I left the country. Much easier to cross the border in a car (which most Michigan do to avoid the hassle)

hamcam

hh...

What brings you north of the 49th parallel?

Are you visiting Toronto? Vancouver? Montreal? Tuktoyaktuk???

Just wondering.

:cool: :cool:

hhcamera

Originally posted by HamCam:
hh...

What brings you north of the 49th parallel?

Are you visiting Toronto? Vancouver? Montreal? Tuktoyaktuk???

Just wondering.
Coming into Vancouver for the Vans Triple Crown of something or other...For NBC Sports. WE'll be there for five days.

So far, things have gone smooth. I received my ATA Carnet from Roanoke Trade today. Fortunatly, my Girlfriend picked up the docs since I was shooting for MSNBC. We wrapped the shoot around 2pm, and I had to hightail it back home, pick up the docs, and gear, and go to the airport Customs office and have them Verify and check the gear. The Agent (A nice looking blond I might add) looked at the high price items - Camera, Lens', Tripods. Other than that, she didn't bother looking in the other four cases.

I did not do the Bond since the cost would have been something like 14K CASH. I would have received the money back upon re-entry, but jeez, $14K? I went the other way, were you list the cost of the item, then they take 40% of that total, and you pay something like 1.2% of that total. I ended up paying (well, NBC paid) a little under $400. The Carnet is good for 1 year.

Now I did not list the gear at replacement cost. My digibeta I listed at $20k, wide angle lens at 6k. Obviously I was trying to keep the cost down otherwise the fee would have been well over $1000. I'm not sure how this affects anything, but well see.

I split tomorrow Early, and hopefully I'll have good news to post once we end up at our hotel.

Later.

I

imported_blank

Originally posted by hhcamera:
Coming into Vancouver...For NBC Sports. My digibeta
DIGI BETA???? For NBC????? Are you sure you don't care to swap cameras for five days???? :D I could strap a PD150 on my dog's back. My dog has learned some funky camera moves around skateboarders. :cool: I hear many of the NBC producers prefer the shoots that way. :confused:

All kidding aside hhcamera, good luck - have fun in our city :) , but remember most Vancouverites are even more obnoxious then me, :( they don't call me Mr. NICE GUY for nuttin' you know... :D :D

hhcamera

Well, the Carnet WAS the way to go. No hassles, didn't even check the bags. Just looked at the paperwork, stamp, stamp and were in!

The Canadian Customs gaurd reiterated that the Carnet IS the way to go.

Now Ivan, believe me, there is no art in this shoot. Fortunatly, NBC prefers the Digibeta. I don't question their process.

Now to all of you who have not been to Vancouver, and have questioned Ivans ways, I think I have the answer.

If your into smoking weed (I'm not, but can appreciate the thought) There is an international event going on called The Tokers Bowl. I'm not making this up. I'm not smart enough. But this is a strange city.

Earlier in the day, I walked past a couple of shops in the downtown area were the smell of high grade weed was wafting out the door. Seems the laws on pot are pretty lax in this city. Tons of stoners walking around ready to partake in the festivities. You pay something like $500 US and your entitled to four days of being in a daze. They "taste" 26 various blends of pot, rate them, grade them, and at the end of the event, some lucky grower is crowned the high priest of weed. They also have boat cruises, BBQ's, forums, exhibits and all. Kind of like an NAB for weed smokers. From the smell of this stuff, I don't know how how anyone could make it past the third tasting. Anyway, true stuff and I think Vancouver is on the path of being the Amsterdam of the Northwest.

Now Ivan, I don't need anymore explaining about your ways. I understand, and you have my blessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.