Cancellation fee?

2000lux

I was booked for a truck shoot tomorrow that was cancelled with less than 24 hours notice. I would have been using their their gear, not mine. What do you usually charge for a cancellation fee? 100%? 75%?...

It's customary for 100% inside 24 hours. Weather may be the only exception but for me I will only reschedule at no charge if it's a big storm.

Run&Gun

Also depends on the client. If it's a good client(i.e: they pay for your mortgage and most of your gear), then I would probably let it slide, because I know I'm going to probably be the first call if it's rebooked and I'm gonna make it up in the long run.

But, yes, the norm is 100% if they cancel within 24 hrs or less.

2000lux

I've been working with them for almost two years and they've generally been good clients. I've done a lot of shoots with them.

However, this time they really screwed up. They booked a shoot at at union site where they have had to cancel camera op's before (almost exactly a year ago) because its a union site.

Douglas

My policy has always been to let it go unless I had actually turned down other work that I could have taken instead. If I hadn't turned down other work, no harm done and there's no charge. But if I have turned down other work after they confirmed the shoot, I absolutely have the option of charging. And I don't care if that is 24 hours or 24 days in advance. Once a job is confirmed they are on the hook if I turn down other work and cannot get a new booking for the day. A confirmation is confirmation. Period. I may decide not to charge anyway to keep a loyal client happy, but it is my option if I want to.