Cameraphones

Deaf and Blind

Well on my Sony-Ericsson I can shoot then up-load video to stream on the web, watch streaming video, (16:9 or 4:3)take stills on the 1.3MP Camera, touch them up in the on board photo editor, (cut, crop, colour correct, add text, flick it around 90 degrees etc) upload them to a web site or download to my computer via blue-tooth or the cable attachment. Download films from the web on to the 1GB memory stick and watch at my leasure. The sound through the headphones it truly amazing for what it is, bit like the many MP3 albums already stored on one of the four drives it has.
Then I have the Audio recorder to get addition audio to add on then once it's all e-mailed away sit down and do up an invoice on the word document software to e-mail after the clip.

What I can do with this thing is scarey, but this phone is old comparitivly speaking (at least 10 months) what will the top end models be capable of in five years?
So getting the idea planted in the minds of the plebs that they can get their video on air (at no cost to the station) is not so much a problem now but a potentual one in the future.
And who's to say some passenger on a crashing airliner is not going to turn the video camera on with the phone in flight mode? Don't matter how nasty it is do you think the station your working for would not run such footage?
If I was in that situation I damn well know I would have the thing on getting anything I can.
It's only a matter of time.

No I personally don't think it will ever get rid of crews but the amount of "Amature footage" will increase as time goes on.
It has the potentual give stations the ammunition to get rid of the sloppy shooters in many stations keeping the best employed?
Who knows it's a wacky old world in which we live.

Todio

Originally posted by Deaf and Blind:
And who's to say some passenger on a crashing airliner is not going to turn the video camera on with the phone in flight mode? Don't matter how nasty it is do you think the station your working for would not run such footage?
If I was in that situation I damn well know I would have the thing on getting anything I can.
It's only a matter of time.
It's already happened D&B... There was a great shot from the Air France crash here in Toronto this summer that came (I think) from a cellphone camera. The survivor was running away, turned and snapped a photo.

I don't think any of us has anything to be worried about. I don't think cellphones are going to replace Betacams as a primary production or newsgathering format for a long, long time (ie never) but for Johnny-on-the-spot stuff? why not?

It's just a darn shame that news outlets would try to scam ordinary citizens out of a hundred bucks for something that's breaking. It feels slimy and cheap. Mind you, I have a sneaking suspicion that it is the Lawyers talking more than the Accountants. If you say you'll pay for submissions then eventually you'll have some yahoo (or a lot of yahoos) trying to sue the station claiming they weren't paid for footage they shot. Even if the suits have no merit they'd still have to be defended (or settled) and that costs money, more than if they paid in the first place. Telling the proles that they won't get paid up front just eliminates those hassles.

When in doubt, follow the money.

Of course the news outlets could just be stunningly miserly as well... :D

couryhouse

a walk though history....

Remember it was the The Abraham Zapruder 8mm film that showed Kennedy getting shot. This was one of the most shocking documented events in history...... it was NOT on 35 mm or even 16 mm... it was on a 8mm Bell and Howell home movie camera the 60's equiv. of a camera phone, a palmcorder or PDA!

Although we enjoy our large cameras we must remember that it is not always the tools we use, or the training we have... some times it is being in the right place at the right time.

View the 26 second 8mm film

Terry E. Toller

A friend of mine just told me he bought a wireless BROADBAND unit that allows him internet access from his car. It doen't require a hotspot, it works on its own and broadband at that. If I find out more, I will post the info.

couryhouse

mobile car uplink!

I would be very interested to learn more. One question is what speed will he be able to uplink at? We like to go out and shoot... and run camera 'A' as a stream also live to the internet.

ok some history now...

got some pre- video newsgathering equipment for the museum this week!

Gordon Yoder 16mm Bach-Auricon Sound-On-Film Camera​

Professional CINE TELEVISION CAMERA. This is an original Gordon Yoder, model 31507. Yoder developed a modification for the 16mm Bach-Auricon sound-on-film camera, expanding its film capacity to hold larger film magazines, incorporating a transistorized magnetic sound recording system, and using 12 volt synch motors. Many considered the Yoder camera a standard of the news film industry.

LOOKING FOR MORE INFO ON THIS AND
WRITE-UPS BY THOSE THAT USED ONE!​

Terry E. Toller said:
A friend of mine just told me he bought a wireless BROADBAND unit that allows him internet access from his car. It doen't require a hotspot, it works on its own and broadband at that. If I find out more, I will post the info.

Run 'n' Get 'em

Terry E. Toller

The auricons I used were powered by a 110 volt inverter that had a lead-acid battery. They would frequently produce an ac hum in the audio. The amplifier we used was the MA-11. It measured about 10X4X6 inches. The mag on the camera in the photo is on backward! The rubber belt that drove the take up spool was on the right side of the camera.

When cinema products began making the CP-16, they first converted those cameras by putting a 20 volt crystal sync motor in them. They were so successful, CP designed their own bodies. They later added an on board amplifier that did away with the large MA-11 and the heavily shielded cable that ran between the two. The serial number of my CP-16 is 0017... :)

The mag in the photo would give you 10 minutes of shooting on 400 feet of film. The camera could also accept a 1200 foot mag that gave you 30 minutes.

That camera was like using a TK76 compared to the later CP-16's. You had to use a shoulder brace which most shooters would mount the inverter/battery and MA-11 on.

couryhouse

ok.... I have a Kerocia 650 card.... I was hoping something new had come out!

OK.... I have a Kerocia 650 card.... I was hoping something new had come out! It works ... sort of... I can send a live stream to the Internet and to our website but at very low bandwidth.... The uplink is only 100..

Downlink speed is much better and it is pretty useful. The new release of EVDO that will take place in 2008 will give you 400 uplink speed...

Run 'n' Get 'em said:

couryhouse

CP 16's larger mags... and backwards mags!

ok... i will have to check the mount on the mag. I just put it on so I could walk into the cable station with it....

Would love to find some 1200 foor mags. would make a nice display.

I have 2 of the amplifiers and an extra lens and some more of the 400 foot magizines...

I remember being interviewed back in the 70's and they had a cp-16. yes that is a bit more streamlined than this one!

Terry if you would like to write up a detailed article on this please do so and we will put it on the website with the camera photos/

Terry E. Toller said:
The auricons I used were powered by a 110 volt inverter that had a lead-acid battery. They would frequently produce an ac hum in the audio. The amplifier we used was the MA-11. It measured about 10X4X6 inches. The mag on the camera in the photo is on backward! The rubber belt that drove the take up spool was on the right side of the camera.

When cinema products began making the CP-16, they first converted those cameras by putting a 20 volt crystal sync motor in them. They were so successful, CP designed their own bodies. They later added an on board amplifier that did away with the large MA-11 and the heavily shielded cable that ran between the two. The serial number of my CP-16 is 0017... :)

The mag in the photo would give you 10 minutes of shooting on 400 feet of film. The camera could also accept a 1200 foot mag that gave you 30 minutes.

That camera was like using a TK76 compared to the later CP-16's. You had to use a shoulder brace which most shooters would mount the inverter/battery and MA-11 on.