Cable Reels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wally

Gentlemen,
We are in the process of replacing 4 cable reels for our live trucks. We have 4 reels that have 2 video, 5 audio and 1 power (Belden 9171).
My problem is that we can't find any other supplier other than Canare. We also can't find a reel that has a side panel with space behind it as our engineers mount the video and audio plugs right to the side of the panel. We then jump from the reel to the truck via an umbilical.

The current reels have no manufacturer on them, they are 18 inches across and hold between 225 to 275 feet of cable. They are a bear but they do job for us and have lasted quite a few years.

So, dinosaur, Shaky, et al., If you all know of anything please post. And if anyone from WPXI knows Frank B. in engineering, have him give Jack or myself a call.

Thanks, Wally

F

<f35>

in our truck we have haney reels(or something like that). The two we keep in there are 250 footers. I also have a 1000 footer I use on special occasions but that stays at the station because its a pain to lift. The 250 foot reels have 2 BNC terminated, 2 female 3 pin XLR, 1 male 3pin XLR and a male 4 pin XLR.

shootist

PRO user
hey wally,

we use hannay reels in our eng vans. they have a patch panel at the perimeter of the reel from which we jump to the truck.

on our cofdm truck we have a cable reel with the connectors on the side of the reel. i'll check tomorrow (if the truck is in when i get there) and see what serial numbers i can come up with.

scott
wpxi

Wally

Thanks all! Scott, those Hannay reels were the ones we were looking for. And to C St. SW, my Markertek catalogue was buried in a pile of crap on my desk...if I had only looked a little longer.....

Tdomi74

Hey Wally:
When did you start referring to the live truck as more than one? I thought 12 only had the one Big Box Production truck. Did you guys gain a few trucks from 35? And speaking of cable reels I love our set up down here a lot. Reels are permanently a fixed inside the truck makes for faster set up time and break down time.
I'll be up that way next week, I plan to stop by.

Brad Ingram

David R. Busse

Hannay (reel manufacturer) is also a common booster-line hose reel on fire engines.

Warn your engineers that certain manufacturers occasionally connect powered cable reels directly to the motor without an on/off switch. This essentially delivers power to the windup motor at all times, creating massive drag when you are pulling cable. The on/off switch eliminates power to the motor, creating a freewheel condition when pulling cable.

I could start a whole different discussion about powered cable reels vs. unpowered portable reels. I like having both available on a big truck. On a smaller ENG van, the powered reels eat up a great deal of space and weight.

Wally

Brad, stop & see me or give me a call after Thursday the 14th.

And David, thanks for the information.

shootist

PRO user
Wally,

Here are the two types of reels we use. First one has a powered uptake and is used in our eng trucks:

S/N is EC 1518-17-18-8 RT

But, I found out the connector panel on the perimeter IS NOT standard. It was fabricated for us. Don't know if Hannay or Wolf Coach did it.

Second is a manual uptake and is used in our COFDM truck. I believe the connector panel on the side is offered with this model:

scott

[ October 10, 2004, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: shootist ]

Status
Not open for further replies.