Breaking Greenville

svp

Anyone watch the first episode tonight? Pretty funny but also sad that people watching this will think this is how all newsrooms operate. Also, did anyone notice WXVT is using Panasonic HMC80 cameras?

satpimp

Reality... Whose reality?

I tuned in out of curiosity. I won't do it again.

I was news director in market 102 in a former life. A sorry depiction of what I once considered my craft. Drivel about drivel grinders at very low level. None of those featured are doing themselves any career favors. Not flattering, but that's not unexpected.

Couldn't you just feel the excitement when they brought the "breaking news" video back for the show.

Tony Curtis, after a live interview was bumped down in a noon show:
"Breaking news is like breaking wind, the longer you sit on it the more it stinks"

Land Rover

Terrible. Just terrible. What I couldn’t get over was how difficult setting focus seemed to be and the amount of over exposed shots. My first news job was in Louisiana, not too far from there, so I recognize some aspects of what the crews were dealing with; like having the floor camera op leave the room.

Since they helped get Subway as a sponsor for the show I have to wonder if Ross was too. Both stations had Carbonite switchers and in one of the control rooms you could see the old switcher leaning against the wall.

SoMissTV

Both stations are owned by the same family; this isn't really a ratings war, and I would imagine equipment purchases are made with the ownership structure in mind.

At the scene

Why would anyone want to watch a TV comedy about local TV news when they can turn on their own local news to watch a comedy routine.

I don't know about your market but my market is a comedy of errors!!!

prosheditor

I saw the promos for this and couldn't believe anybody would watch the whole run of it. The network must have had a desperate hole to fill. How could they expect any of the locals to take them seriously after all that internal personal drama was aired? I wouldn't watch any of it.

But here are some notes I took to complain about it here:

After watching how they treated their gear, it is clear why the larger ENG cameras have to be so ruggedly built. It would be unbearable to watch them destroy these newer fragile systems.

What bothered me the most was at 22-23 minutes into the 2nd episode when that Lucy gal flat out INTENTIONALLY let go of a vertical semi-extended, not spread, tripod from a vertical position allowing it to fall straight to the ground like a sledge hammer on a paved parking lot surface while she either answered her phone or reached for something else less important! And then giggled about it. My eyes immediately slammed shut after seeing that. I was waiting to hear the show's camera operator say, what the hell did you do that for?

That was just inexcusable and reminds me of the local cable starter station I interned at where the twits left unsecured, uncased cameras in direct sunlight in the seats of their hot cars, dropped sticks as above, stripped P/T and leg locks on sticks, dropped stick mics & bare XLR cables to the ground from waist height, tossed lights into the kit, stripped light stand clamp locks, touched halogen bulbs, bent barn doors, didn't clean lenses / EVF diopter and on and on.

Back to the show, I loved how they whipped out the yellow-cased, caged hardware store contractor lights for the internal live remote.

Depending on what it is, I think helping the competition is commendable, but when Lucy shot her competitor's OTF standup on that plane's wing, that was pushing it. Then to top it off, she had to ask how to operate the camera.

I thought it was odd and unrealistic that the competing station anchors met and talked about the airtimes of their packages so as not to be in conflict. Then the note by a commentor above revealed that both stations have the same owner explained that, which absolutely disintegrates the rivalry perception. Even if the public knew that, they would still probably watch it like the other contrived "reality" shows subtly disclaimed as re-enactments.

The young weather guesser MET looked like Steve Carell's son.

The guy that seemed to do whatever he wanted cracked me up because of how serious he took his former what's that you say? series.

And finally, watching that young weather guesser MET struggling at the speed date event reminded me of that old Blind Date show with all those crazy animated graphics added in post as the cast made fools of themselves.

svp

The local Greenville paper did a story on the series after the finale and the community was initially skeptical of the show but by the end of the run the town was happy overall with it. It pulled really decent ratings for TruTV but no word on if the show will be back in Greemville or another market.