body armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabounk

I am looking to get a vest. I know little about what is out there and any info or good websites would be greatly appreciated.

Larry R. Erickson

Second Chance Vests - The owner/creator stood behind his product literally. Proof they worked - shot himself point blank wearing his vests lots of times!

I wore one everyday for years. Never got shot.
But one night a drunk border brother who didnt like our security breaking up a bar fight, threw a full unopened can of Bud at me from a car as it was passing by. Hit me in the chest and bounced off. Barely felt it. Look on his face as I started to point a weapon in his direction instead of doubling over in pain is still etched in my memory......hehehe... :cool: Body Armour is Good ;)

Dave K.

I checked out the vest mentioned here, seems to be a LOT of controversy over a police officer who was shot in this model and it did not work. Will be watching closely to see what other alternatives are available.
Dave
Florida

2000lux

I've got one from Point Blank. It's pretty old though. Almost ten years I think. Last I heard the Kevlar isn't waranteeted after five years. P.B. has a jacket made of Kevlar that looks interesting. It would be a lot less obvious than a vest. I've also heard of a T-shirt made out of the stuff but I assume it's kind of thick. I'd be interested in a base ball cap too.

Here are some web sites I found:

American Body Armor -- www.xtremearmor.com

First Choice Armor -- www.firstchoicearmor.com

PACA Body Armor -- www.paca-vest.com

Point Blank Body Armor -- www.pointblankarmor.com

Safariland -- www.bodyarmor.com

Second Chance Body Armor -- www.secondchance.com

U.S. Armor -- www.usarmor.com

focusthis

Avoid a material called "Zylon". It's found in some higher-end Second Chance vests, and is the subject of a recall.

"Level 3A" is the highest level of protection you can find now in soft body armor. It will be heavier and bulkier than Level 2, and Level 2A (in decending order of effectiveness). HOWEVER: newer materials are lighter and thinner than those of the past at the same threat level, so buy the highest level of protection you can afford. Vests only weigh 5-10 lbs anyway.

Take the proper measurements to ensure a good fit.

Buy the model that says "extended" fit. That's where it wraps around your sides more.

Don't forget the "trauma plate". That's an insert carried in the front of the vest, covering the sternum. There are hard and soft plates (or Pacs) made of metal wrapped in ballistic fibers, or of many layers of fibers bound together. The metal plates are a little heavier, but offer a lot more protection.

Don't get ballsy because you have one on!

What do you need the vest for? I have 2. both of them are flak jackets I use when I am hostile countries such as Iraq. They go over my clothes and are the highest protection you can have with the right plates. Are you looking for one to wear on a day to day basis here in the states or are you going somewhere over seas? There are sooooooo many different kinds of vests and they each have their own purpose. My favorite one is an NT Aerospace. It is the one you usually see the reporters wearing in combat, but if you are looking for one to go under your shirt it wont work.

Gabounk

Thanks for the info and advise. I work overnights and wanted a vest for my own piece of mind. When there is a shooting and the crowd is saying less than positive things about the media being there, I feel a little safer wearing the vest. I wanted a low-profile vest so I wouldn't advertise to the crowds I am wearing protection. Never know when someone with a gun might try to see if "those bulletproof vests really work. Shoot the cameraguy!" For the record I got a GatorHawk IIIA oversized from a local police supply shop. So far I am happy with it.

Todio

Just got a contact that asked me if I was averse to going to Afghanistan. Personally, I'm all over it but want to investigate a bit of 'insurance' beforehand. Is there anywhere to 'rent' a vest? I'd probably only be there a month.

Terry E. Toller

there is a serious difference between a 'flak' jacket and a bullet proof vest. Flak jackets will not stop bullets. they are made for larger things like shrapnal (sp?).

Galls has several vests. http://www.galls.com

they have all sorts of gear for cops.

Priam1998

I just saw this on the wire this morning:

Bulletproof Vests
WEST HOMESTEAD, Pa. (AP) - Pennsylvania's attorney general is
suing the nation's leading maker of bulletproof vests.
The suit says Michigan-based Second Chance Body Armor
Incorporated made a "conscious decision" not to warn law
enforcement officials that some vests could deteriorate when
exposed to fluorescent light, heat, or humidity.
The attorney general says the faulty vests contributed to the
death of a California police officer and the wounding of an officer
in suburban Pittsburgh.
He says Second Chance kept selling the vests up to five years
after first learning of problems with fibers in the lightweight
vests.
Pennsylvania is the sixth state to file such a lawsuit against
Second Chance. The state is seeking hundreds of thousands of
dollars in civil penalties and refunds to law enforcement agencies.
Company representatives did not immediately return calls.

ewink

FYI to y'all also...

Thanks to the North Hollywood shooters, there are also some states that have tried and/or are passing legislation to make wearing BRVs illegal unless you're the police or paramedics.

Check your laws first and remember, NO VEST IS BULLETPROOF!

Terry E. Toller

Diane Finstein was on TV after the Hollywood robbery saying, "It's obvious that we have to ban bullet proof vests." Typical! It's already illegal to rob a bank. Illegal to shoot at people. Illegal to shoot at cops. Illegal to own a fully automatic weapon (in CA). What makes her think those guys would have not had vests because they didn't want to break that one law? Well, that's the way gun control people think... Nonsense...

I sent her an email and told her she can pick up my vest when she comes for my, what she calls, assault rifles.

[ July 29, 2004, 04:35 AM: Message edited by: Terry E. Toller ]

2000lux

How often do you guys wear your vests? I've worn mine may be four times when I thought what I was doing some thing a little risky, especially if I'm alone. A stand off (SWAT teams et all), shooting a drug factory the cops had busted up the day before, a gun dealer's store & home (he had been busted for 33 counts of failing to properly authorize a hand gun, and out on bail)...

[ September 30, 2004, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: 2000lux ]

Terry E. Toller

Everyday! Funny, I had my vest on the night a guy tried to carjeck me. He pointed a 1911 to my hear and all I could think of was my vest won't work. Luckily when I got out of the car, he lowered his weapon until I shot him.

Brian Z

Originally posted by Todio:
Just got a contact that asked me if I was averse to going to Afghanistan. Personally, I'm all over it but want to investigate a bit of 'insurance' beforehand. Is there anywhere to 'rent' a vest? I'd probably only be there a month.
Can I go...? Seriously, I would really love the challenge of working in a place like that. I understand the dangers, and just how rough it can be. However, it is stories like these that got me into the business. Unfortunately, I don't possess the resume or major contacts that allow me to do so. I would really like the opportunity to go along as a all around guy cutting his teeth.

I have always looked for the toughest challenge, because that is where you learn the most. I'm not just trying ot be the young and stupid, I just believe in the story and a lot of what isn't finding it's way back to the states.

krazycamera

Get in touch with your local armed forces, army, reservists or territorials. They often have requests for media armour/vests and the like, while they'll probably bill you till the cows come home, it’s a worthwhile investment. Make certain to try on those with raised neck-guards; they're a pain to shoot with, but its apparently invaluable when main arteries are on display! In the end, it’s really up to you how much weight you want to carry.

NewsMan

I reccomend you buy from DHB Industries. They are the leader in U.S. military vests (I know, my stok has done very well this past year). They produce "Interceptor". Although that is a bit bulky for what you're looking for, but they have plenty of shapes, colors and sizes to choose from.
NASDAQ: DHB

Brian P

Get one with a high collar for neck protection.
Mine has a flap that hangs down over the lower regions. Don't know how well that part of the vest works and don't want to find out, but it makes me feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.