Best drone for aerials?

BluesCam

I looked at the footage from the AR Drone and it was very shaky from side to side. Has anyone found a smooth solution? These guys have some interesting ariel work.
http://www.jhproductions.com/

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Land Rover

I have an AR Drone and its pretty much just a toy. I wouldn't use it for any of my work. It really comes down to how much you’re willing to spend.

I’m interested in looking at a Turbo Ace to see how well it works and they’re less than $2,000. They’re supposed to be pretty stable right out of the box.
http://www.turboace.com/

You can go all the way up to one of these which can easily run you over $10,000 but have an impressive list of features and abilities.
http://www.quadrocopter.com/Freefly-CineStar_ep_63-1.html

In the end, you get what you pay for. Remember, right now its still illegal to operate them without permission form the FAA and they certainly can't be used in any commercial work.

Land Rover

That article is almost a year old. Yes, it is changing but very slowly. The first part is already in place for first repsonders, universities and research companies. We're still waiting for the general public and right now the FAA is still writing the rules and developing "testing" locations. Supposedly the commercial side is going to be phased in by weight class in three steps with full access by 2015. We'll have to wait and see.

svp

Just from a practical standpoint I think a big issue that will need to be addressed is how loud the current drones are. Nearly all are gas powered and VERY loud, giving off a high pitched buzz that is VERY annoying. If drones are to be flown in populated areas for commercial use, they are going to have to be MUCH more quiet.

svp

Just to add to my previous post, even if the FAA makes it legal to fly, nearly all cities and towns have noise ordinances which nearly all current drones clearly violate. That means that police could still stop anyone from flying the current crop of drones in populated areas and I'm sure they'd make use of that loophole.

Land Rover

Just from a practical standpoint I think a big issue that will need to be addressed is how loud the current drones are. Nearly all are gas powered and VERY loud, giving off a high pitched buzz that is VERY annoying. If drones are to be flown in populated areas for commercial use, they are going to have to be MUCH more quiet.
I'll disagree here. Most, if not all, quads, hexs, octos or whatever are battery powered. I don't think I've ever seen one that runs on fuel, not that it means it isn't out there. I'll have to look. Now, a lot of folks are using helis and those are gas powered. Personally I've never been able to fly one of those very well. Even with the electric ones, if you don't have a good camera mount you can get a "jello" effect in the video.

svp

Land Rover,

I've only ever seen the gas powered ones and they were not the RC helicopters but the type I think we're all talking about. I'd be interested in one that's battery powered because I'm sure it's much more quiet.

Lensmith

Marion's Lady Justice has new toy

For complete article.... http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/05/02/Marion-courthouse-helicopter.html

Cline suggested that Sheriff Tim Bailey, a licensed pilot with a (real) helicopter, use this as a training exercise. Someone could rappel down and rescue the drone from the statue’s clutches.

Bailey doesn’t think so.

“Look. Let’s put this in perspective. He ran a helicopter into county property. It’s no different than if someone hit the courthouse with their car,” the sheriff said. “We took a report. We’re done.”

svp

An editor at our station runs a n aerial photography business. I'm buying a quadcopter from him that he's only had a short time. It's perfect for what I need. I'm not sure what he's upgrading to but he's sinking a lot of money into it and he's been doing all the demonstrations for Fire, PD, Red Cross, etc.

svp

I'm pretty sure our station is going to buy a couple as soon as its legal for them to use them

svp

Sorry for three straight posts but there is no edit post option on the iPhone. I'll add that we were warned not to use any drone footage in our stories if we personally own a drone. Several people here personally own one and its been a topic lately.

svp

Necktie Boy,

I know but I don't advertise it as part of my business and I don't charge a separate fee for it. Nowhere on an invoice will you see any mention of aerial photography. These drones are being used everyday in car commercials, golf coverage, etc. I refuse to sit back and be told I can't use one while while the FAA turns a blind eye to the big companies with millions who are doing it day in and day out.

cyndygreen1

Just to add to my previous post, even if the FAA makes it legal to fly, nearly all cities and towns have noise ordinances which nearly all current drones clearly violate. That means that police could still stop anyone from flying the current crop of drones in populated areas and I'm sure they'd make use of that loophole.
Right on that one...was stuck in the air for multiple live shots for the five and six one day and locals were calling PD complaining about the noise.