basic editing books

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

<newbie>

does anybody know of any good books to learning basic editing for photog ie: jump cuts and wide mid tight

Cambot Mk. II

I don't think I've ever seen a book that focuses on editing techniques alone. I was always taught that editing begins in the camera by shooting sequences.

If I'm in a situation where I can only spray a scene before jetting to another assignment, I go by a simple formula:

2 to 4 wide shots,
4 to 8 medium shots,
8 to 16 tight shots.

My reasoning:

You don't need many shots establishing the scene.

You do need several shots that show what's going on

You need even more shots that allow you to show detail and still allow you to avoid jump-cuts. I know that's oversimplifing things but it's hard to explain without showing you.

If you want a good example of good editing, watch "The Graduate". Good uses of tight, medium, and wide without relying on dissolves or other gimmicks.

Also, don't forget the audio when you edit. What you see should match up with what you hear. Talk with a veteran photog at your station for more explanation.

A book that talks about editing, composition, sequencing and other aspects of visual storytelling is the "5 C's of Cinematography". It's an older book, but the lessons are still valid.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

Status
Not open for further replies.