Avid Liquid

McFly

Last Saturday we had a training session with P2 cameras and Avid Liquid.

The Avid was fairly easy for me to pick up, it's similiar to FCP.

I thought it was okay, but with one MAJOR DRAWBACK. Before laying your sequence to tape, you have to color correct each and every clip!

What sense does that make?

Some packages may have 20-40+ clips to correct! And trying to do that on a tight deadline? It seems it may be a recipe for disaster!

Does anyone know a way around this or this just the way it is?

Chuxty

This is actually interesting to me also. I was told that we too will be upgrading to an Avid system by the end of the year and Using P2 cameras.

McFly

032 said:
you should try shooting the correct color so that you don't have to change in post.
Yeah, that whole 'white balance' thing just really throws me off! :p

Regardless of the video, you have to color correct it somehow, no matter how minute.

I have heard that this is a bug and only has to be done for video shot on the P2... anything shot with actual tape is ok.

Has anyone heard that as well?

Tom Servo

McFly said:
Yeah, that whole 'white balance' thing just really throws me off! :p

Regardless of the video, you have to color correct it somehow, no matter how minute.

I have heard that this is a bug and only has to be done for video shot on the P2... anything shot with actual tape is ok.

Has anyone heard that as well?

Wait. . .Are you saying that even if you don't NEED to color correct, you have to send it through the color correction process anyway? That seems worse than archaic ;)

McFly

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying! You have to color correct each & every clip, no matter if the color is perfect or not!

You have to alter SOMETHING.

In a crunch, this is going to make getting a package in at the last minute or breaking news on the air a real problem.

g0uld

P2 & Avid

We shoot P2 and edit Avid and I haven't had that problem. Maybe it's just the Avid (Liquid), We are still on the Adrenaline and its super smooth. 4 live trucks and 1 Sat all with Avid 10 Avid edit suites in house. The P2 cam is great, maybe your bean counters should consider an older version of Avid (such as the adrenaline)then upgrade once they figure out the problems with the program.

bluffton

I'm a fluid FCP user so excuse my ignorance here, try making a new timeline and puting your previous sequence as a full clip (nesting) into the new timeline and add your correction there. That way you only have a few steps to take, as opposed to forty.

Or try exporting your timeline out as an AVI (DV, NTSC 48Khz) and then import it as a single clip and then add your color correction.

Of course I don't know if any of this is possible with AVID. I'm really glad I don't have to use it. Good luck.

Grip

Lets not confuse Avid Liquid, which is one step up from FREE Avid DV, with Avids many fine working choices.

Why someone would choose Pinnacle/Avid Liquid? With MC now offered for cheap? Or even express.

Either way I would expect the problem will be fixed by the end of the year.

photogtony

we use avid liquid at our shop, it has a lot of bugs as far as the server goes, but we have never had to color corect to put it to tape. We don't put it to tape to put it to air thought, we just publish the story to the server and play it out from there. We will be moving to P2 so this is an issue I'll watch.

krazycamera

i'm curious - we use pinnacle liquid edition 7 on our laptops - is there a different version of the product on your avid, or is it just called avid liquid now
- even tho they are part of the same company, or is we talking samey samey thingamy doo da?

McFly

UPDATE: Apparently, when editing from tape (DVCPro for example), NO RENDERING is required.

When editing from the P2 cards, each video clip must be rendered. :mad:

I can't tell yet, but I'm wondering if Avid Liquid has a feature like FCP does where you can COPY a clip and then PASTE THE ATTRIBUTES of that clip to other clips.

Anyone?