Atomos Ninja/Samurai/Shogun ?

joecam147

Anybody have any remarks regarding use of the Atomos Shogun/Ninja/Samurai ?
Interested in any feedback...Thanks !

Focused

A colleague uses a blade and it's pretty simple to operate. I've rented it before and it's user friendly once you get the buttons figured out.

Only wish is XLR audio input and better time code options but for the cost it's hard to beat.

Douglas

I've got a Odyssey 7Q+ arriving next week so I can do 4K with my A7s. So my nearly mint condition Samurai will go up for sale shortly thereafter. It's never been outside my studio and has been an excellent piece of gear. Case, batteries, charger, etc. Make an offer! :)

Doug I would be interested in knowing your opinion of the two units. I own the 7q+ and love it but am curious about the atmos unit as a lot of other shooters are using them.

Also if you have a good cage monitor mount or protective bag arrangement for it I would be interested to know I looked probably 6 months ago but was underwhelmed at the time. But as I understand it there are a plethora available at the moment.

Douglas

Geoff, I currently own a 2-year old Samurai so it would be pointless to compare it to the Odyssey 7Q+. A better comparison would be to the Shogun, but I don't have one of those. The Samurai has served me well, but it can't do 4K, so it's time to find it a new home.

I don't need cage for the camera because I won't be mounting the Odyssey to it. I want to to keep the camera lightwight, lean, mean, well balanced, and inconspicuous. And I also don't care to use the Odyssey's monitor or any of the focus/exposure tools the recorde offers. I just need it to start and stop recording when I press the button on the camera. So the Odyssey is going into a small Portabrace bag over my shoulder with an HDMI tether.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/895884-REG/Porta_Brace_MO_79G_Monitor_Case_7_9.html

I think I'm going to have flashbacks to the old 3/4" days with a VO-4800 deck.

Douglas

Richard, For one thing, the A7s doesn't have HDSDI trigger or even an SDI output for that matter. And for another thing, I'll only be using the Odyssey for 4K anyway. If I wanted HD, I can do that internally with no external recorder.

From everything I've read I will be able to trigger the Odyssey remotely while it is in the bag via the old fashioned timecode method. Timecode trigger will be good enough, and I didn't mean to give the wrong impression that remotely trigging the Odyssey would be an issue.

Tv Shooter

For some reason I thought the A7s had an SDI out. I was thinking about getting on to use on a Ronin. Guess I should spend a little more time with it.

Douglas

The Odyssey arrived yesterday and I spent a few hours today getting up to speed with it. The A7s combo has some limiations, and god how I hate HDMI cables, but ultimately the setup is going to be awesome for what I intend to do with. The A7s gives me a full-frame sensor with 4K recording -- and a look that I cannot get with the super-35mm F55 or FS7. Amazing times we live in.