Articulated Arm for Camera Light

N.Klaeser

I would like advice on shooting run and gun interviews with an on camera light with an articulated arm attached. I am trying to get the light off axis so it's not sitting above the lens.
Does anyone have examples or know of a good resource to see how to position the light so you don't get the flat look.

Thank you.

engphotog21

Rotolight makes a nice articulated arm for toplights. 6 inch runs about $100. 10 inch about $8-$10 more... Still wont be as good as stand lights, but its better than nothing...

N.Klaeser

By using an articulated arm does the interviews look better than just using the standard straight stud mounted light.

engphotog21

Honestly, if you are run and gun, top light interviews will always look like top light interviews. The ten inch arm might help you change your angle a bit, but not sure how well. I use a 6 inch arm on my camera, but it's mainly to keep my LED top light compact. I always use my stand light LED's whenever I can, and even use my top light as a backlight in a pinch as the Rotolight easily detaches and can be used on a light stand.

1911A1

By using an articulated arm does the interviews look better than just using the standard straight stud mounted light.
It helps if the person being interviewed is fairly close to the camera (like arm's length away). Beyond that, it doesn't do much good.

Run&Gun

It's not really gonna help the way you think it will. It'll probably make it a little worse, actually. The best thing you can do to help an 'off-the-shoulder' interview with your top light is it diffuse it/flood it, back-up from the subject and not physically move in and out towards and away from them during the interview(easier said than done when you have to shoot LTT's).

I use one on my camera I believe 10" or so on my personal setup I use a bi color dimmable led as well. As others noted the main thing is to diffuse or dim it back appropriately so that it isn't as punchy.

The other is to offset the light a bit. In my case as I work in Texas I find the magic arm helps a lot with guys in hats so that My other option aside from going straight to the left or right with the light is to move it down below the hat line. If I am careful I can use it as a gentle kicker to help with the black hole created by a Stetson hat.

cameragod

For run and gun I mainly use the magic arm to get the soft light closer to the lens, can look very good.

Run&Gun

For run and gun I mainly use the magic arm to get the soft light closer to the lens, can look very good.
I do something similar, I "under-sling" my light to get it down closer to the lens axis than if it were just mounted on the handle. I run Sola ENG's on my cams and if you didn't under-sling they sit VERY high on the cam handle.