Are these real terms?

cyndygreen1

OK - I stand corrected by Amanda Emily. These are older terms according to some documentation she pulled out from a 1970s era lighting book. More Hollywood style. News to me...never too old to learn something.

zac love

Something I just learned... XLR cables used to be called "Cannon" cables.

I ran into this a few months ago when an audio guy told me he had a "Cannon" audio output for me. That & a couple other things made me think this guy was a little crazy & I tried my best to not have him see me rolling my eyes.

Then last week looked up what XLR stood for of wiki & found out they were invented by James H Cannon. They started off being called "Cannon X cables" then upgraded to "Cannon XL" cables then later "Cannon XLR" & after a while the "Cannon" got dropped.

I really don't like the taste of my own foot.

cyndygreen1

Add a little seasoning and even your own foot can be palatable.

I called those Canon cables for years...seemed like the switch to XLR came in the late 80s or early 90s.

Nino

Found this and was wondering do I know less than I thought I did (a distinct possibility) or is this guy b-sing and making things up?

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/11/12/five-basic-lighting-techniques-for-studio-portraiture/

I know Rembrandt...but what the heck is butterfly and some of the other stuff? (and don't be afraid to dump on me if I'm wrong - I know you aren't shy).
Sometime these old term, (weren’t old when I started) still makes me chuckle, especially when I try to explain them to the newer generation. Some of those terms sound like something they teach in kindergarden. In portraiture they are still being used, no high tech replacement there yet.

If placed correctly the “butterfly” light will cast a shadow directly centered below the nose and half way to the upper lip. Of course you really have to use your imagination on this one, the shape created by the lighted area and the lip will be in the shape of a butterfly. If the shadow is too low or too high, meaning the light is incorrectly placed it will look like an ugly butterfly or no butterfly at all. Of course the size of the nose will determine the correct placement angle of the light, big nose = lower angle, small nose = higher angle.

cyndygreen1

Thanks all - especially Nino. Mostly used Rembrandt and the "toss em up" lighting style in news. Love this site for learning "new" lessons.

Nino

Mostly used Rembrandt
After going from art to photography school I had difficulties making the connection between the work of Rembrandt that we studied extensively and the application of the traditional Rembrandt light, better known in film and television as 45 light. In most of his work Rembrandt use butterfly or split light, and when using 45 light, with some exceptions, he has the main light on the broad side of the face rather than on the short side as the traditional Rembrandt light technique that we know today. Over the centuries something got lost or modified in the translation from art to photography.

satpimp

one's obsolecence another's nostalgia

Edison plugs. Mags for the soup. LP records. All gone the way of Rotary Dialing

The worst part is remembering when you were the young guy in the newsroom.

Omar

Tv Shooter

Edison plugs. Mags for the soup. LP records. All gone the way of Rotary Dialing

The worst part is remembering when you were the young guy in the newsroom.

Omar
No...the worst part is realizing you are the old guy in the room.

Ben Longden

Carting around a portable darkroom and picture transmitter in my stills days....
changing peanut valves in the mixing desk at the radio station where I used to work as an ad producer... Sigh......

cyndygreen1

I can remember the day my station went overnight from 16mm to tape. Veteran (even then) cameraman Rich Raymond made some comment about - hey it's all new, we can make up our own terms for what we do now!