Anything constructive is appreciated

cyndygreen1

After the anchor build-up I was expecting to be right in the action. While you have some good shots there were also a good many stagnant shots - and dirt racing is most certainly not stagnant. I see what you were trying to do - to juxtapose the quiet shots with action, but the former outweighed the latter and slowed the story down.

Hint - use word like "race" (as in when you say "they race for one reason) as a trigger to use a sound heavy action shot to emphasize the word "race".

Curious if you were on a deadline and only able to shoot one or two rounds of racing? And were you stuck in the inner section of the track? In the future it would be more effective to find a spot when you can shoot down a length of track and get the cars stacked up coming at you.

Good story...keep working at it.

RyanD

unfortunately I was kind of stuck at one spot in the infield (during the races). I did get three or four heat races in, but I had to be back to the shop to get it put together for the 11. They got put on hold due to some rain and I still had an hour and a half drive. Thanks for the critique!

cyndygreen1

Yeah...had a feeling. Sometimes access sucks. And that's when you need to out think your circumstances and get creative.

Latin Lens

So yeah...its not that bad but there's a good amount of room for improvement. Lets start easy...hid the mic cord. Big no-no not properly mic'ing someone. Learn early cuz it'll stay with you the rest of your career. Cyndy is right about one point (especially if you have limited access at a shoot)...pick your best spot possible to get the best video and sequences. If not...and you have full access to move around...then move around and give the viewer variety in shooting from as many angles and vantage points as possible. Shot variety is always a good thing. Carry that also over to your interviews. Variety in all its forms throughout the story will keep the brain and eyes stimulated. Use your time wisely out in the field to maximize effectiveness when sitting in the edit bay.

At the scene

Like I said to you in a previous post, OMBanding is not easy. Let me start by saying that this is not the best story I have ever seen but it certainly is not the worst. Above posters are correct! The mic placement on your interviews scream amateur!! It takes a second to run that up a shirt.

Ryan this is racing, fast pace, fast action, crashes, air guns, pits, tire changes, screaming drivers, etc. where are they?? How about an announcer calling the race. Kids, people in the stands yelling, cheering on their family, friend or favorite driver. Drivers happy or sad from race etc...

Tell me a story, beginning, middle, end. What are you trying to convey to the audience. Why should people show up to this track? What is the big difference from dirt track to an asphalt track? What are the drivers trying to accomplish ( do they want to be in NASCAR)or is it just a hobby. You mention some big NASCAR drivers getting their start on dirt tracks, SO??

Shooting! Nothing more distracting to me then having the shutter on when shooting fast action. You need to move around I want to see the wide of the track, cars going around, sliding into the corners, close calls. Where is the adrenalin!!!!! Racing is exciting! There was nothing exciting in your piece.

Just some critics to consider. What I would like to see is, if you still have the raw footage. Rewrite, and edit this piece again to gain some practice. I think all of us would like to see this piece reworked. Post it and lets see the improvement!!
Keep working it will come.

RyanD

My chief likes when we shutter up for action stuff...so you're saying not to turn up my shutter speed to shoot action?

At the scene

My chief likes when we shutter up for action stuff...so you're saying not to turn up my shutter speed to shoot action?
I'm not a big fan of it. Very distracting to me. If your chief wants it then do it, Don't get into trouble. Try it without shutter some time and see what you like best.