Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to break into the business in the 125-210 DMA range. Here's the prob, I have experience with videography, but no demo reel. Here's a copy of a letter I've sent to 10 stations so far, all small markets who have openings that prefer but not require experience. Any advice?

*** LETTER PASTE BELOW ***
Dear Sir/Madam, my name is James xxxx. I am interested in the news videographer position listed on the xyz.com website. Below, I listed my background directly related to ENG and television production. I do not have any paid newsroom experience. However, I feel my non-paid experience makes up for it, and makes me qualified for an entry-level position.

I need this opportunity to break into television news photography, and I would relocate without hesitation to get into the business. I want to learn the overall craft of journalism, including information gathering and writing technique.

Experience/Education- I successfully completed 2 years of coursework in Electronic Media (equivalent to an Associate’s Degree) at the University of Cincinnati, before I changed to business. I completed coursework in field and studio production, audio technique, media business, and 2 quarters as a student videographer/editor for ‘Uptown’, the college’s news program. Unfortunately, I do not have a demo reel since I did this coursework in 1995.

Since 1992, I continue to work as a volunteer at Waycross Community Media, a local government/community media organization. Through WCM, I have experience in field videography, studio production, linear editing, and a little non-linear editing. I have a good understanding of studio and field television production. I have a basic understanding of building stories using shot composition, audio, lighting, and editing. Again, I do not have a demo reel, but I can provide staff references to confirm my skill and experience. I know how to shoot to build a story, and I know how to edit.

For the past 8 years, I worked in sales but realized now that I should have pursued my original career passion. I shared earlier that I originally majored in broadcasting during college before I transitioned into business administration. I found I do not have the same passion for sales that I have for TV journalism.

Work Ethic- I am hard-working, reliable, teachable, rational under deadlines, and easy to get along with. I understand this position requires a variable schedule including weekends, holidays, and late night hours. I carry myself in a clean, professional manner. If you add me to your team, I will work hard to meet deadlines, and will continue to strengthen my skill level to get better at the craft.

Again, I want this position. Please consider me for this opportunity. I have a lot to offer your team. You can contact me at (513) xxx-xxxx. I look forward to talking with you. Thank you.

[ September 15, 2004, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Jamesinohio ]

BluesDaddy

Yeah that's pretty good. The last paragraph sounds a little desperate. Tone it down a little. The key thing is to convince the hiring manager in the interview or on the phone that you will be a quick-starter, fast learner and a good citizen. Attitude is everything. If I were hiring in your market range, I would be used to getting people with not much experience, and would be on the lookout for someone who will learn easily and not make any waves.

[ September 16, 2004, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: BluesDaddy ]

SmlMktChief

Ditto to what BluesDaddy said. We have a 3 photog staff and can't hire more. Wish we could. We haven't hired an experienced photog in the six years that I have been here, including myself. Good luck, keep trying.

WV24fpspro

Based on the content of the letter it looks as though you're off to a solid start James. There are also other issues to double check before sending it to it's final destination. Make sure the comp and format are perfect. Most people are now electing to include their email address in both the return address header and under their signature line as well. It also helps to know as much about the station as possible. Try to find out some useful background about names, titles, etc. Considering the market that you're looking for; would it be more appropriate to address it to the chief videographer or the news director, or perhaps someone else? You may even want to send out more than one customized copy to more than one individual.

Then there's getting the letter to it's destination. Are you planning on mailing it? Some people will attempt to make an appearance at the receptionist's desk, but few have much luck in doing things in this manner. One could also attempt to make a rather brief call (just a minute or two) to state that you'd like to drop off a letter to xxxx in person if their schedule would permit.

No matter which route you decide to take, make sure to do some follow up to additionally thank "them for their" time. You may also want to consider emailing as well.

As far as the demo tape issue goes; could you still manage to put some type of content together into a tape, based upon your video background? Something will be better than nothing.

In conclusion, should you require further assistance with something such as comp, content, and/or demo issues feel welcome to contact myself via the link on my posting. I'll make every attempt to get back with you in as timely a manner as possible.

Best of luck, and happy hunting. Even if one doesn't get in the door on the first attempt, don't let that discourage you- keep trying!

mettacam

Here's a tip for you. You don't want to refer to a job as a "videographer". Use "photographer" or "news photographer".

Hope it helps.

zazvideo

hey mettacam,
why should you say "photographer" and not "videographer"? we shoot video not photographs. just wondering.

AKinDC

I'd refer to yourself as whatever the job ad refers to the position as. If the station is looking for a photographer, write photographer. If they're looking for a videographer, put that down.

SHOOT4U

Just my 2 cents, photographer works at the newspaper. A photojournalist tells a story through his/her lens. AKinDC had a good point, use the title that they are looking for. But if they are looking for a storyteller then you may want to refer to yourself as a photojournalist. Make sure you have high energy if they do call you back. I know I have called people and they have had no enthusiasm. Hence, no call back.

Terry E. Toller

"videographer" is a word that came along when the industry started switching to videotape. Kids with two years of school started flooding the market. As photojournalists, they were lost after turning on the camera.

I for one think of home video, weddings and event coverage for $200 a day when I hear "videographer".

Terry,
I work in the Wedding Videography biz, and wouldn't ever ask someone...."hey do you need a photographer for your wedding?" That totally decieves the person. I shoot video, do not take pictures, and I get paid a great deal more than $200 dollars a day. I worked in news for several years, and yes, the photog term is used constantly, but once you mix the room with print photgraphers and news photgraphers, things get confusing right? I don't see why "videographer" is looked at as a negative term. I'm starting the "Videographer Foundation"! Who's in?

[ October 13, 2004, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: DrumnShoot ]

Status
Not open for further replies.