An Excuse?

Rad

This was a preview piece, basically to get on the record before the feds announced a new initiative. The NOAA experts backed out of the interview (and were supposed to bring pictures) just hours before they were to meet me. So I had to scramble around and find a different way to tell the story.

Then I shot this nice sunset... and sort of put two and two together to make four...

[b-rollTV]1106[/b-rollTV]

AKinDC

I liked bracketing the story with the coastal photos. Very pretty. The quick dissolve from the first shot to the second didn't work for me. If you were trying to set a peaceful feel, a slower dissolve would have worked much better. The moves on the archival photos worked well, but dissolving from a zoom in to a zoom out is a bit awkward, try mixing a pan in between. The light behind the historian was too bright, it takes the focus off of his face. The screen saver in the wider interview shots was extremely distracting, as was the really wide interview shot with the printer in the foreground. I know you wanted variety in the interview shots, but only do that is something in the wide shots actually adds to the scene. I didn't understand the random fish-eye shot on the side cut away. Again in the second interview, I didn't like the wide composition. If you were doing a story about his hat collection it would have been nice, but I don't like random stuff in the foreground unless it's germane to the story. His hair was overly lit and his face too dim.
I know this is all really nitpicky, and you were just trying to help a less than visual story, but I found that many of your ideas here were more distracting than not. Did you run out of underwater shots to use? I would have liked to see more, possibly covering the interviews.

NEWSSHOOTER3

Same

Rad-

You and are so similar in editing technique that I will reserve too much judgment, but I enjoyed this piece.... just too much like me in "still" style transition and shooting. Nice job! :rolleyes: