Alzo HMI lights

V

VideoSmithy

I just got back from NAB and saw the Alzo HMI lights and was quite impressed on price and value. I did some internet research and found the same lights on www.videolighting.com even cheaper and sold under the manufacturers name rather than the Alzo name. I called the Video Lighting Inc. guys and they told me they are the same lights as Alzo and they have been direct importers for several years selling them for photography lighting but recently with improvement in the lights and bulbs have they have begun selling them specifically for video lighting with excellent experience for video, dv film etc. I've been researching the internet and many positive reviews of the old version of the lights but nothing lately as to improvements in the light head and bulb making them an even better value for video. They seem perfect for my budget and situation and I want to buy them and get the best deal. Any info on the new version?

chicagoshootr

I like this from the website:

"Compatible with all digital and film video cameras such as Canon, Sony, Panasonic, Hitachi etc."

If you have one of those cameras, you're good to go.
Don't forget what PT Barnum said...

zac love

I have read up on the Alzo 800s, but haven't heard anything about the new versions.

If you want good quality lights that will last a long time, stick with Arri or Lowel, probably two of the best known brands in the ENG world.

If you need daylight on a budget, check out Lowel's fluorescent, or some of the various LEDs.

If you're doing budget EFP work, where you have control over everything, then the "Alzo" might be a good way to go. But the cold start / long re-start is going to be a real deal breaker for many ENG types. Also be aware of the flicker of budget lights.

Lowel & other professional fluorescent bulbs cycle at 3000hz I believe, which means you have to have a shutter of 1/3000 before you'll start to notice any flicker. I'm guessing a lot of these budget lights will be at 60hz, which means you have to shoot at 1/60 or else you're run into issues.

Mostly remember these Alzo are not true HMIs, take a look at this site to see what the difference is between real HMI lights and budget ones (also take a peek at the Fresnels, might be better than the open face lights you're looking at). http://www.coollights.biz/wordpress/archives/category/faq

99% of the time, you get what you pay for. A $0.50 garbage bag might keep your camera as dry as a $200 Porta Brace rain slick, but the garabage bag won't last you as long as the Porta Brace.

your boy

Yes you get what you pay for. Buy k5600, bron,LTM or arri HMI's. Other cheaper lights don't have the power or consistancy you need.

Lowel does not make HMI's, and their tungstun lights are junk except for the rifa boxes. If you need flo's you should get Kino's or Mole Richardson's. These lights can do 5600 or 3200, however they do not have the punch for outdoor lives except for maybe a hair light.

Zac: What camera has 1/3000 shutter? I think you math is a little off. But your theory is close on why you can't use shutter with some hmi's... But it's all to much too type on my phone.