Alphatron EVF and 4K cameras

Starman

Has anyone had any kind of issue with the Alphatron and using it with a 4K camera at all? I just heard of some issues in customer reviews with 4K cameras, but I don't see why you would need 4K in your EVF, even if you are shooting 4K, HD with focus peaking seems like it would work fine, no? Is there some kind of downconversion issue with certain cameras or something?

Run&Gun

To my knowledge, NO CURRENT CAMERAS are outputting a 4K signal to a VF and there are no 4K VF's to accept it, if there was. They're all sending an HD signal to the (HD)VF's.

Douglas

Not only are there no 4K viewfinders, I don't think there are any tru \e HD viewfinders either. All the viewfinders that I'm familiar with have less than 1920x1080 resolution. Usually they are 1/2 or even 1/4 HD res.

Run&Gun

I don't really wanna open this can of worms, but there are 720P VF's(my Sony and Zacuto OLED's come to mind) and that is HD. The ATSC specs do NOT differentiate between 720 and 1080 when labeling them HD. Yes, 1080P is higher rez than 720P, BUT "Full HD" and true HD are just consumer marketing terms that unfortunately have been picked-up and used by the pro side, too.

I did just read that Astro Design has a prototype 1920x1080 OLED EVF that will accept a 4K signal(via HDMI) and convert it internally. Supposed to be available next year. And for those of you that remember the insane prices that Sony used to charge for their first few generations of color EVF's… This is back in that range. They're estimating it will be $7,000.

http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/11/22/interbee-2015-7k-astro-design-1920x1080-oled-electronic-viewfinder/

Douglas

Oh you opened the can of worms whether you wanted to or not. 720P is not HD no matter what an equipment marketer may tell you. 720P is medium definition at best. The minimum resolution for HD is 1920x1080. A few years ago someone may have gotten away with calling 720P HD, but those days are long gone.

720P, 60i, SD, and 4x3 all must be thrown onto the junk heap of outdated technology that has no business being used today by professionals. :)

Lensmith

I agree with you Doug...except when I shoot live shots for CBS News shows I have to switch my camera from 30P to 60i.
But everything recorded for all shows now is 30P.

Focused

I hate to bring this up but a good number of sports trucks (expandos) are 60i at the camera. I don't know if it gets converted somewhere down the chain somewhere but I certainly hope so.

And it might have to do with the guts of the truck. Might have been built when 720/P or 1080/i were the only camera options.