Alaskan Photogs

svp

If you are a photog in Alaska, what camera are you currently shooting with?
What do you use to keep your camera working in extreme cold conditions? We are using Panasonic HPX370's and the operating range for these cameras is 32° to 104°. Once it gets into the 0° to 20° range we start to have serious issues including the camera just shutting down. Any suggestions for keeping it doing in extreme cold conditions? I'm asking because I see the famous Iditarod dog sled races have started and you guys cover that extensively.

Run&Gun

I can't speak for the guys in Alaska, but Porta-Brace has long made insulated camera covers. Think rain cover, but insulated and with less access to the camera. They used to call them Polar Bear cases. Not sure if your guys would really like shooting with them, though. There is no access to the camera controls, except the lens, once it's inside. They're designed for pretty extreme conditions. If y'all have Shoulder cases on them already, maybe you could try hand warmers between the body and case.

https://www.portabrace.com/cameras/polar-bear-insulated-camera-case.html

Focused

Not Alaska

Not Alaska, but North Dakota. Back in the day that is. Betacams.

Maybe things were better built back then but we routinely shot outdoors at -10 with wind chills down to -30 and had no issues except for cold fingers. I heard about a -35 day where a camera locked up. Only time I have heard of it. We did not have the heavy insulated camera coats Run&Gun mentioned, just the standard blue canvas porta-brace covers.

More recently (2013 I think) I had multiple Sony EX3s out all day in -15 degree weather. No issues til end of day when condensation hit when bringing gear inside. Very sweaty camera.

Im surprised the 0-20 degrees is a concern. Do you have a camera case or rain jacket? Have you tried hand-warmers inside that? Gaff tape them to the body to stabilize heat loss.

Run&Gun

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised that you're having problems at those temps. Especially with as much heat as modern cameras generate internally. I've shot with my VariCams down in at least the teens. I was NOT happy, but the camera seemed fine.

Alaska cameradude

I've long ago moved on from being a staff shooter. I currently shoot on
Sony large sensor cams (FS5/7/700) for my production company.
Some of the stations use Panasonic P2 others use Sony XDcam, it's
all over the place. But the 'card based' cameras have fewer moving
parts with no tape transport and most hold up pretty well in the cold.
Of course you have the usual issues....keep batteries warm and give the
camera time when going from warm car into cold but I haven't had any issues
with my Sony cams. I've seen hand warmers gaff taped on batteries
and such. As for me, I'd rather use them for my hands and feet!

svp

Yea the real bad problems start when we hit single digit temps. These are the cheaper cameras so I’m not surprised we are having issues. It’s not just the cameras. At those temps our phones stop working and the Dejeros lock up too. Thankfully we only hit those temps for about a month every year. We’re past it until next year so hopefully we’ll come up with something by then. We might even look into designing and making something ourselves out of neoprene.