Airiels from a plane?

2000lux

I'm shooting ariels from a plane tomorrow. I'll be shooting out the side, open door, handheld, with a C300. Yes I'll be harnessed in. We're going to try to fly over downtown Boston. Minimum elevation is 1000' above the tallest building.

Any suggestions other than, "Don't drop it?" A polarizer filter maybe?

Focused

No matte box. That will catch wind and remove re camera from your control if to close to the door.
I'd also teather the camera.

prosheditor

. . . We're going to try to fly over downtown Boston. ...
You're going to try to fly? The pilot wouldn't happen to be SVP would it?

No matte box. That will catch wind and remove re camera from your control if to close to the door.
I'd also teather the camera.
That and don't get tunnel vision in the EVF and forget where you are. Hahaha I would also make sure that specific insurance was in place.

Even with a harness, I wouldn't fly with an open door if it was a helo or a plane but it's still cool so have fun.

Necktie Boy

Zip tie the windscreen so it doesn't fall off. If you can provide a monitor to the pilot, he can see what you are shooting and he tilt the plane toward your shot.

I held the camera on my knee for balance, but that was on a heli

Maybe a highhat? Bean bag to balance the camera?

Tunnel vision may be a problem. When I did some shooting on a small plane, I sort of got air sick since I was using my VF, and lost my sense of balance. Back on the ground, it did take me a few minutes to get my balance back LOL

Douglas

Zip tie the windscreen? I say take it off completely. What audio are you going to get anyway.

I've flown outside on the skids of a helicopter a few times with a rappelling harness I had made just for the purpose, but I don't recall ever shooting out of the open door of a plane. That slipstream is going to be hell. Even the wind on a slow moving helicopter creates a lot of pressure and buffeting. You'll have to back away from the open door and that is really going to limit your field of view.

Let us know how it goes (or went).

prosheditor

. . . Tunnel vision may be a problem. When I did some shooting on a small plane, I sort of got air sick since I was using my VF, and lost my sense of balance. . . .
I'm with you. Getting sick from the real & electronic view differential is a concern but I meant losing perception of your safety bubble. It gives new meaning to the note on a car's sideview mirror but instead for aircraft, the ground in your EVF may be closer than it appears. :D

Zip tie the windscreen? I say take it off completely. What audio are you going to get anyway. . . .
Yep.

. . . I've flown outside on the skids of a helicopter a few times with a rappelling harness I had made just for the purpose, but I don't recall ever shooting out of the open door of a plane. That slipstream is going to be hell. Even the wind on a slow moving helicopter creates a lot of pressure and buffeting. You'll have to back away from the open door and that is really going to limit your field of view. . . .
Is that when you were shooting aerials for Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom?

I agree with the pontential airflow & field of view issue and would have to have one hand on an OS handle at all times. If it's all handheld with no support as Necktie mentioned, be ready for some post-stabilizing.

I've been in a few helos with closed doors just for the ride. But back in the 90's, I went up in a small plane to get some downtown skyline scenics & shot through a closed window and the content was basically useless because of instability & haziness. I have not since and won't be flying in a small plane again after that ride. Those guys throroughly enjoyed scaring the sh!t out of me with a few sudden drops and bank turns. If it's hazy, some filtration and some type of stabilized mount would be good if possible.

Last edited:

Run&Gun

Dramamine. They make a non-drowsy version now, too. Every time I've shot in a helicopter without it, I've gotten motion sick. Never to the point of hurling, but I had to stop shooting and didn't feel ok until after we landed.

As an experienced aerial DP I can say many of the points made are good. Best to remove as much hardware that can catch the wind from the front of the camera. Do not let the lens stick out too far because it will catch the wind which will buffet the camera.

And yeah, that shooting from the helo skids is showboating and gets nothing unless you like that shaky, wind-blown shot.

Be sure to secure yourself and the camera. All other loose parts (batteries, tapes, memory cards) in a safe place.

Use the widest lens you can get without getting aircraft parts in the shot and have the pilot get close to the subject as he/she is comfortable doing. The open door is best optically and as long as you don't stick anything out into the airstream it should be manageable. It will be windy and noisy.

Plan your flight before leaving the ground. Work out the communication between you and the pilot because some terms each industry use are not interchangeable. Mostly regarding direction. Remember you are looking out the side and the pilot is looking out the front so something like "closer" may not mean the same for both of you. Ask them to make gentle moves (and pedal turns) because if the wings dip into your shot it's ruined.

If you can over crank your material. Slomo smooths out some motion and gets more time on the shot.

A polarizer may help but since you are at various angles to the sun it would be hard to adjust. I would leave that in the camera bag. Plan your flight to make the best use of the sun. Be aware that you may not like the shadow of the aircraft spoiling your shot so may need to pass higher or lower on the next go around.

I've never experienced motion sickness but have heard that too much concentration on the VF can throw you off. Be sure to look at the horizon with your eyes out the front or side to get your bearings.

If you can rent a Kenyon gyro. It is threads into the tripod mount and can add some stability. They are heavy but are the choice of still photogs able to get some slow nighttime exposures. Don't rest the camera on any part of the aircraft as it will transmit vibration. Some have used their knee but you could still get some unwanted motion. Shoulder may be best and easiest to control the camera as you are most familiar with this method.

Douglas

Is that when you were shooting aerials for Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom?

Almost. Herding Bison in Utah with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). One time we flew it was in winter with light snow and it looked amazing. Wish I had a copy of that footage. It was much easier to get the shots I wanted by being outside with the camera on my shoulder as we were flying so low and turning so sharply to herd the animals. I don't like to stand on the edge of cliffs, but being outside on the skids of the chopper seemed perfectly normal.

FeedingFrenzy

I know its not your call, but I question the client who wont pay for a helicopter with an stabilized rig. No matter what you do, getting a tight shot will be next to impossible while handheld. Good luck and safe flying. Hopefully they rented a plane with parasol or high wings and not low or mid wings.

Berkeley Shooter

Old fashion Flight Goggles. You can usually get them at a motorcycle shop. No more blinded by tears. I bought my last pair from Sonny Barger himself.

BluesCam

I once shot from a slow and low flying plane, but it was through a window and off the shoulder. We got some nice wide shots when the plane banked.Zooming in of course, was not an easy task. We were shooting a large fishing trawler. It was kind of fun, even though we took off and landed in a softball field. I think everyone's advice has been spot on. If you have time, maybe set up a GoPro to capture you shooting. Good luck and be safe!

2000lux

Thank you everyone for all your help! The shoot went well. You can see photos HERE. Hand held worked fine because the other planes I was following were flown by stunt pilots who flew extremely close to the plane I was in.

The ride was actually much smoother than i thought it would be. I was able to stay wide, but also to zoom in to 105 mm for tiger shots because they flew so close to us.

When my monitor stuck out the window too far, it would flatten out in the wind, but that only happened a couple of times.

Last edited: