Affirmitive Action

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

<Relieved Photog>

I don't know about you guys and girls, but I'm glad this is one subject we don't have to deal with in our line of business. Either you know your stuff or you don't. You get hired primarily on your talent. At least thats the way it is where I work.

Am I wrong?

D

<distressed photog>

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

you funny man!!!!!!!

E

<eeoc>

Lost of a few jobs due to affirmative action. It is very much alive.

Lenslinger

Affirmative Action not only lives- it thrives in in broadcasting. About 12 years ago I interviewed across the street for a one-man-band position. The ND told me I was perfect for the job BUT he was looking for a minority. Eventually they hired some clown who didn't last six weeks.

Since then I did a stint as a promotions manager - where I learned just how pervasive this practice is. Whether it's government mandated or just station policy, race DOES play a part in the hiring process - especially on-air.

Not that's it's always a bad thing. I've been at stations where the on-air talent was lilly white, yet the audience was the usual American mixture of races and creeds. I consider that just as wrong as filling positions based solely on the color of one's skin.

As far as photogs go, it's not quite as high profile - but it's out there. I've often joked that if I was a hot Hispanic female, I'd be pulling in 20K more a year. Unfortunately I'm a fair skinned aging white guy with a mortgage, two kids and a wife who wants to cut back on her part-time job. Not that I expect (or deserve) any pity.

Right or wrong, affirmative action is alive and well in TV land. I just wouldn't advise losing any sleep over it.

E

<elvez>

its amazing that here in san antonio there are plenty of minority photogs, few minority reporters and there is the "breakfast taco" each station relegating its minority anchor talent to the morning shows, but there are no minority managers in this town of with a 60% hispanic population. wheres the AA? quite a brown ceiling here.

The last station I worked at proved how affirmative action is still alive and well. I don't care what the person's skin color is, if they are good for the job then they should be the one who gets it. I can understand the need for mixing up on air talent, but you can still hire competent people. The last station I worked at was not racially balanced, at least photographers. When it came time to hire someone new, they hired an inexperienced white kid, passing up someone else I knew who had more experience, but was black. The kid hired didn't last but two weeks. The business wasn't for him. The other guy I knew... Well, because he didn't get the job he had to make other plans. So the station just screwed themselves. They are still down as of right now and that was months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.