Advice for a new guy

mj1016

Hello

I just joined the site.

I graduated college about a year and half ago with a degree in TV/Radio Production.

I have had no luck trying to break into the media industry.

Can anyone give some good advice to an aspiring Photog?

cyndygreen1

Better be willing to move anywhere. Couple of questions: did you do an internship? Those are wonderful for opening doors and making contacts. Do you have a reel with strong examples of your work? Do you belong to any local professional organizations? I know folks, including myself, knock NPPA but it has a lot to offer those just starting out.

I notice you list yourself as a "Video Production Student" in your profile. If you're going for a job as a news cameraman, dump that and relabel yourself with the job you want...to keep it honest, maybe go with "aspiring".

And I hope you've kept your skills up by continuing to shoot and produce stories, if only for yourself. Having a demo reel that has nothing but old stuff on it may be a barrier.

Capt. Slo-mo

Don;t know if it holds as true now as it did back in the day when we had to race velocirapters out to the news truck, but many of us started for a year or two in very small markets...like Idaho small or similar. Pay sucks, but the chance to do a bit of everything can't be understated.

x2 on Cyndy's comment...while you are waiting for the first break...go shoot something every chance you get .

2 Hungry Dogs

I started in market Laning MI wich was 103 at the time. I felt very lucky to get my first job in that big of a market

photoguy603

Have to agree with everyone else. Your in Orlando now and moving to Tampa. I've never worked in either market but they are both top 20 (I believe) and you a new out-of-school photog will NOT land a job there without other experience (unless your that lucky 1 in 1,000 guy). Open yourself up to move ANYWHERE, including Wyoming, Montana etc.

And you never know you could fall in love with a place like that and never want to leave....but just be open to almost ANYTHING ANYWHERE.

satpimp

Skills Acquisition Tour. That's the SAT that is often the better yardstick. Photog slots in large markets are coveted and competitive. MMJs have changed a lot of the math but news photographer isn't entry level unless you're in an entry level market. You may have to move to acquire skills... hence the tour. My SAT score let me party at school. Out here nobody cares about my degree. Maybe a little that I have one. It was the tour that gave me the resume to play in greener fields.

Every place has its problems and it's strengths. It's never really better in the new building, city or format, just new. Everyone you work with can teach you something. Examples to follow and to avoid.

"There is no such place as WGOD. KGOD is even harder to find
Everyplace sucks".

Fred Honsberger, a long time Pittsburgh broadcaster told me that during the orientation tour of my new station many years ago.

Good luck on your tour.