A Question about Cameras and Compatability

BoomDrive

Is there a camera or group of cameras that work well with Final Cut Studio that aren't as expensive as the EX1, but are still considered to be quality, reliable cameras?

Please note: I'm not asking to start some kind of silly argument! I just want honest opinions and a point in the right direction. I realize that even EX1s aren't very high up there, but the economy sucks, very few people are hiring, and the videographer pool is large. There's a lot of people applying for the same jobs that I am.

I'm asking because employment options are scarce and I'm tired of relying on someone else for a job.

Any advice would be appreciated!

cameragod

The truth is you will always be relying on somebody else for a job. By limiting yourself to cut price gear you are limiting yourself to cut price clients... not where you want to be in a sucking economy.
Work out your business model and then get a camera and edit package your clients actually want.

zac love

The truth is you will always be relying on somebody else for a job. By limiting yourself to cut price gear you are limiting yourself to cut price clients... not where you want to be in a sucking economy.
Work out your business model and then get a camera and edit package your clients actually want.
Maybe a business model will work at that price? Not every client needs a 2/3" camera, and I think for the freelancers, the biggest thing is: If it works, it works. Just don't sell yourself short.

As for cameras that work well with FCP, look at JVC's HM700 & HM100. Both cameras are the ONLY cameras out there that were built w/ a NLE in mind. JVC actually went to Apple to make these cameras a reality.

If you're looking for cheap & still kinda ok, the HM100 will do the trick. 3 1/4" CCDs won't be good in low light, and the camera is so small you don't really have much great lens control. But there are a few buttons / toggles in the "correct" places.

In my opinion, right now AVCHD is just about the only format that doesn't work easily w/ FCP (in my experience). It will probably change soon, but AVCHD has to be transcoded before you can start cutting.

HDV, XDCam & DVCPro HD all currently work w/ FCP in their native formats. (Many will suggest you transcode any or all of those to ProRes, but it really is up to your workflow.)

BoomDrive

I understand what you're saying. I should note that I know there's no real way to completely "free" myself of working for someone else. What I mean is that I'm tired of waiting for local news to open up during the recovering economy. Hell, some of them might not even "open up" in the way I'm hoping. I have my local news skills, but I want to further myself in order to expand skills. If something opens in local news, fine. If not, I want to at least have a taste of what's behind other doors.

Maybe a business model will work at that price? Not every client needs a 2/3" camera, and I think for the freelancers, the biggest thing is: If it works, it works. Just don't sell yourself short.
I know there was a thread recently about doing this for art versus doing it to get paid. Not many of us have a choice, though. I figured I would step up and ask for myself. Like someone pointed out in that other thread, there's about a million other wannabees on Youtube and Vimeo. I don't want to get lost in the shuffle obviously, but I'm running out of options.

You could say I'm "running scared" while still holding out hope. There's probably a lot of people in the same predicament as me. Maybe another topic is on the horizon about us "starving artist" photogs and back-up plans just in case?

I guess the important question is this: what can we do to separate ourselves from the mass of talentless posers?

As for cameras that work well with FCP, look at JVC's HM700 & HM100. Both cameras are the ONLY cameras out there that were built w/ a NLE in mind. JVC actually went to Apple to make these cameras a reality.

If you're looking for cheap & still kinda ok, the HM100 will do the trick. 3 1/4" CCDs won't be good in low light, and the camera is so small you don't really have much great lens control. But there are a few buttons / toggles in the "correct" places.
Thanks for the comments, zac. That's about what I was hoping for. If you think of anything else, please let me know!

zac love

2009 was a bad year for me in terms of employment. Overall I met a lot of new people, made new contacts & am more realistically optimistic about 2010.

If you're going out on your own, best thing to figure out is your business model. Next thing is to figure out what you say "No" to.

I just lost a series of gigs b/c I told someone my full rate & then said (after I could tell there was no way they had the money for it) to post on Craigslist & see what other people offer. The gig would have been for a non-profit sports league, would have been easy work, but not worth it to me to work at 80% off what I want to make.

It took me a long while, but I finally gave into shooting some weddings. I now contract for one company & it works for me. They find the clients, they set everything up, they bill them, they edit. All I have to do it show up, stay out of the way & FedEx the tapes when I'm done.

Pay isn't great, but it is paid. For me, spending a Saturday behind a video camera doing something I'm not crazy about making money, is a whole lot better than not making money sitting at home w/ my stroking my ego.

Figure out what works for you.