A Job offer you can't refuse...

BluesCam

I'm sure you D.C. folks will be all over this one...

"Radio Free Asia (RFA), a private, non-profit international broadcast operation located in Washington, DC, is seeking part-time DC-based contractors (20 hours per week) to work as Videographers/Video Editors alongside RFA journalists in shooting and editing field reports for satellite TV broadcasts. Prior experience with Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, and After Effects preferred. Work may also include some studio production. Some advanced education in Journalism/Communications preferred. Pay is $15/hour. Send résumé and cover letter, identifying "TV Videographers/Video Editors," by email to rfajobs@rfa.org or by fax to 202-530-7797"

Douglas

$15/hour? Are people really willing to work for that? Why not go do weddings or something else on your own? I know PA's that make more than that and who work more than 20 hours a week too. I guess if you're just getting started it could be worth it for the learning experience and just consider the $15/hour a bonus. But is this really something that appeals to people who have been in the business more than a few months? I honestly don't know.

Run&Gun

$15/hour? Are people really willing to work for that?

Schools are partly to blame for this, I believe. They don't really teach/tell students what their skills, talent, time and services are worth and instill in them that they need to/have to "pay their dues" and work for free or almost free to "break into" the business and it just perpetuates because the networks, etc. are able to get them fresh out of school for paupers wages and they now realize that they can keep paying them that and it's hurting the entire industry, now.

Douglas

I have two words of advice for newcomers: Corporate Production.
99.9% of everyone I know who make an excellent income in this industry, owns their own gear, works sane hours, and has prospects for a comfortable retirement . . . makes their money in corporate/government video. Getting into news production, or even worse wasting money on schooling to work in news, is a dead-end career move. The world is full of a never-ending supply of young people that will work in news, indy films, etc. for peanuts and then never have two nickles to rub together when eventually realize they are too old to do something more productive with their lives.

BluesCam

Some people around here are addicted to the 48 hr. film festival and other similar ones and are constantly trying to get people to work on them (for free of course). I've done a couple as a favor, but I'm done. The other thing is the Indy film "deferred payment" scenario. The only problem is that deferred means never. Of course, the producer gets something that they can use for demo purposes and the carrot on a string continues.
Sometimes it might pay off way down the line.

Last edited:

AKinDC

I have two words of advice for newcomers: Corporate Production.
99.9% of everyone I know who make an excellent income in this industry, owns their own gear, works sane hours, and has prospects for a comfortable retirement . . . makes their money in corporate/government video. Getting into news production, or even worse wasting money on schooling to work in news, is a dead-end career move. The world is full of a never-ending supply of young people that will work in news, indy films, etc. for peanuts and then never have two nickles to rub together when eventually realize they are too old to do something more productive with their lives.
Wow, it's like you've been possessed by the spirit of Nino. :)
Despite the fact that we use the same tools, news and production are two ENTIRELY different careers.
I love doing news, and can't imagine switching to production, even knowing I could make more money there.
There's a reason that "the world is full of a never-ending supply of young people that will work in news"...because it's a fascinating and exciting field, that can still lead to great careers.

Lensmith

There's a reason that "the world is full of a never-ending supply of young people that will work in news"...because it's a fascinating and exciting field, that can still lead to great careers.
I say this with all due respect...those "great careers" are not news careers.

At least that is the point I believe Douglas was trying to make...and I agree with.

Yes, I still enjoy shooting news, but it is dying as a "career" at all levels for those who shoot video. Unless one thinks a career should always end when a person is in their mid to late forties? Sure we can all name a handful who are older and have a true full time career with a company shooting news. However you'll be hard pressed to use both hand, with all fingers, to count them. ;)

AKinDC

Yes, I still enjoy shooting news, but it is dying as a "career" at all levels for those who shoot video.
Yes, I'll agree with you there...if all you want to do is shoot news, it's really hard to make a career out of it these days.
If you want to be a journalist though, and are willing to widen your skill set, there is still plenty of opportunity.

Douglas

I understand the excitement and rush you get from doing news and big events, but after you get beyond 25 years old, you people need to think more about finances, career, lifestyle, retirement, etc. People who fall for the "news" carrot are not that different than their hipster counterparts who fall for the "film production" carrot. All dead-end careers . . . in my opinion.

AKinDC

I understand the excitement and rush you get from doing news and big events, but after you get beyond 25 years old, you people need to think more about finances, career, lifestyle, retirement, etc. People who fall for the "news" carrot are not that different than their hipster counterparts who fall for the "film production" carrot. All dead-end careers . . . in my opinion.
Well, as a middle aged network staff editor, I'm pretty happy in my dead end career. :)

Douglas

I certainly would not be. :)

And I would argue that being a staff editor is significantly different than being a staff photographer.

Last edited:

AKinDC

I certainly would not be. :)

And I would argue that being a staff editor is significantly different than being a staff photographer.
And I totally agree with you. As I said, I wouldn't want a life-long career as a cameraman in any field...can't imagine lugging tons of gear around into retirement age.
And that's what I love about journalism...lots of different job opportunities within one career. I imagine the same thing is true in production.
You love your career, I love mine.
If it makes you feel better to put down mine, so be it.

BluesCam

One big production shop here, has a policy of putting older, experienced people "out to pasture" and then hiring 20 somethings (no offense if you are in your 20's) to take their place. No job security there.

svp

You can't live in DC for $15/hour. That's like making $3.25/hr in the midwest.

BluesCam

There is a flood of production school grads hitting the market. They have studied camera, editing and graphics, so, a first job in their career path seems great, even at $15 hr. Because of the overflow of these grads, and cheap gear, compensation has plummeted. There are too many beginners in the intersection. Standards have dropped and so has compensation.

Douglas

Standards have dropped and so has compensation.
And deservedly so! I wouldn't pay someone more than $5/hour to shoot a lot of the crap I see on local TV.

My earlier point still remains: If you enjoy working in the TV/video production industry and want to be well-compensated, have a decent retirement, work normal hours, etc. -- strike out on your own and make your own way -- or at least find a good corporate gig and be on staff someplace outside of a newsroom. There are dozens of ways to make a good living in this business and not settle for peanuts.

Of course, if you must have the rush of news, then good luck to you 20 years from now when reality hits.

cyndygreen1

It isn't necessarily the "rush" of news. That I got when I was a youngster. As I got older it became more about my community and making sure important stories got covered properly. I bailed in my early 50's due to burn-out and a desire to take on new challenges...as a high school teacher (English, broadcasting, journalism, drama, photography, multimedia) where once again the pay was low, the stress at times unbelievably high, but the opportunity to make a difference continued.