1st Broadcast job

Can Public Access TV survive UTube?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MikeW

After 15 years of working in Public Access TV, it looks my big break has arrived.
I' ve asked for produce a half hour series for local broadcast television.

What are some of the thing I need to know about broadcast TV that never come up in
a public access setting.?

MikeW

Public Access TV has few restriction on content, less for production quality. However, I have to make my programs, both production and content, look and sound like broadcast TV.

In this new show, I will be an independant producer, providing content to the channel.
I will have to get my own sponsorships. I might even have to produce the ads.
In the past, I have been pretty much a one man band---booking, shooting, writing, editing, sometimes appearing on camera.

Although, I have volunteer staff that appear on camera for my public access show. These folks I would like to carry over to the new show.

rcourtney

Depends on what you are producing.
Remember audience will turn the channel if you don't grab their attention in a few seconds.
PAT shows usually had a specific reason for the viewer to be watching, not because it was
better than watching the major networks. While it's nice to keep your on screen friends with
you, could it hurt your viewership? Same ol talent doing a different show? Or if they were great
on screen could help. You decide.

Plan commercial breaks, PAT was slot minus the disclaimer slide. Your package must
include teasers, bumps, etc for current and next episode. Include empty space on lower thirds
for station bugs. Be prepared for rejection. Sounds negative but there are many great shows
that get rejected my major markets that end up on small markets. Remember the kid's show
"Barney"? That purple dinosaur had a rough start.

MikeW

Public Access will air almost anything as long as it is falls in the catagory of educational, entertainment or local issues.

cameragod

My advice would be to find an experienced producer of the type of show you want to make and ask them to mentor you.

MikeW

I have friends with extensive experince in broadcast. That's the easy part.
Turning this into a real business that's the hard part.

F4 Fan

Budgets and deadlines

I spent over three years in Public Access and the last 21 in broadcasting. Here’s the one thing I’ve observed. In Public Access you pretty much have total control. Not so in broadcasting. There can many hoops to jump through before a project comes to fruition. Everybody will have an idea to contribute, especially the sales department.

Be very, very aware of deadlines. Broadcasting becomes more and more like Public Access every day. You may well survive quite well in the broadcast realm.

Go with the flow and good luck.

MikeW

I spent over three years in Public Access and the last 21 in broadcasting. Here’s the one thing I’ve observed. In Public Access you pretty much have total control. Not so in broadcasting. There can many hoops to jump through before a project comes to fruition. Everybody will have an idea to contribute, especially the sales department.

Be very, very aware of deadlines. Broadcasting becomes more and more like Public Access every day. You may well survive quite well in the broadcast realm.

Go with the flow and good luck.
How is Broadcast TV becoming more like Public Access?
Is it that there are more digital journalist (one man bands) replacing the traditional camera crew and journalist covering stories?

Are time slots less rigid then they used to be? I have seen shows like American Idol, Lost go overtime.

Do you see independant producers having more control over their content?