1/2 day travel? 1/2 day?

Icarus112277

Had a couple of clients trying to negotiate long travel days at a half day rate. Told them no. Is this usual for you guys?

To me, it's still time spent in the interest if the client. Plus, I can't take a 1/2 day of work with another client if I'm spending 10 hours travelling. Finally, I may have to turn down full-rate work, possibly for regular clients, for that day. It's a business loss, and a loss of personal time.

Second, had a client who wanted a half day. Do you guys do half days? I told them my half day rate is the same as my full day rate. The only time I do half days is if they mesh with something I already have planned. I feel it's a bad precedent and leads to business losses.

Run&Gun

Half days are a bad precedent. I don't usually do them. I think I did two half days for my A client last year. But I'm billing six figures, so when a show of good will is needed for them, I'll do it. Anyone else, nope.

And I think travel days should be full days, as well, especially if you're flying across the country.

2000lux

I agree. I only do half days occasionally for good clients, or if its part of a longer project. I think its a bad precedent to set. Rarely can I double dip because schedules tend to change or slide. I always tell them "I'd rather have one happy client than two unhappy clients."

A travel day should be a full day rate minus gear. However, that being said, I've negotiated all kinds of deals to make a project work.

Starman

I don't mind half days if they are local and just that, half days. I did a half day corporate gig Monday and then got a full day working the football game on the same day. Now THAT I can live with amigo.

I agree. I only do half days occasionally for good clients, or if its part of a longer project. I think its a bad precedent to set. Rarely can I double dip because schedules tend to change or slide. I always tell them "I'd rather have one happy client than two unhappy clients."

A travel day should be a full day rate minus gear. However, that being said, I've negotiated all kinds of deals to make a project work.
I am on the same page as you on the half day thing. The only times I will do one these days is if it is guaranteed to be less than 5 hrs port to port, and for a good client.

I usually tell anybody that asks that it is actually very hard to get travel to the job, 1 hr of setup the job which they say will be one hr but usually runs 3 tear down and travel home packed into less than 5 hrs.

As for the original question I am a little more flexible on travel days, again if it is a true half day, i.e.. I am driving out to West TX for tomorrows shoot than I will do the half day travel thing. But if I am driving 8 hrs of flying which usually takes more than 5 port to port.... than that is a full days work no matter how I look at it.

Also of note I had somebody try to pull a just bill us for an extra half day for travel last year when they worked us a 17 hr day with 7 or so of that being travel. Also not kosher.

satpimp

Run and Gun is right. My situation is a bit different but if a good client needed my services for a number of days.. say 6 or more, I'd cut a deal on my travel days for just the day rate and keeping per diem and expenses the same. Scheduled days off while on the road in the services of a client could also be cut if it was a two week or more deployment. That was for clients who gave me at least 10 day rates a month consistently. If you are going to discount the prices of your services make damn sure the discount gets you more than just goodwill.