ANYONE STILL ACTIVE ON HERE

Run&Gun

I still stop by almost daily, but unfortunately it’s dead here. Most of us largely “TV” people are dinosaurs and everyone that can hold a camera now, thinks they’re a “filmmaker” and frequent the sites that cater largely to that end of the spectrum. But even those message boards are not what they once were, and even with their huge member base and visitor numbers, sometimes it can be the better part of a day or more with no new posts.

I had heard several years ago that a lot of this type of activity was moving to Facebook groups, but from what I’ve gathered on some of the other forums, a lot of those FB groups are very jingoistic and full of fanboys of particular manufacturers(especially cameras) and any perceived slight against the equipment results in people being kicked-out/banned from those respective groups. They seem to kind of a parallel/mirror society today: continued and increasing division, tribalism and extremism.

Ben Longden

Still here.
Drop by occasionally.
Totally agree with Run& Gun... anyone who touches a camera is an instant expert..
Covid has knocked most of my business for six..

b-roll

Administrator
Staff member
what is all this chatter? what is this website about? how do I become a photog?

Miss you guys... how is everyone doing?

cameragod

I had some issues with logging in, thanks for sorting that Kevin, so I stopped for a while. But I miss the old days on here too :)

goodfoot

Hey, nice that I can log in still! I learned much on this forum in the late 90s/early 2000’s as I was starting out, it was a great resource. Cool to see some of the guys still here checking in. Since most stations use producers and reporters who shoot their own stuff now, and the emphasis is on content vs production value I suppose it’s natural that there isn’t a pool of new photogs keeping these boards alive and giving the veterans here an opportunity to give back by sharing the knowledge and experience to help them. It’s a shame but I’ll forever be grateful for the camaraderie and knowledge that the forums here provided. Thanks again for creating this platform Kev, hope everyone is still enjoying the work and keeping busy.

Hey, nice that I can log in still! I learned much on this forum in the late 90s/early 2000’s as I was starting out, it was a great resource. Cool to see some of the guys still here checking in. Since most stations use producers and reporters who shoot their own stuff now, and the emphasis is on content vs production value I suppose it’s natural that there isn’t a pool of new photogs keeping these boards alive and giving the veterans here an opportunity to give back by sharing the knowledge and experience to help them. It’s a shame but I’ll forever be grateful for the camaraderie and knowledge that the forums here provided. Thanks again for creating this platform Kev, hope everyone is still enjoying the work and keeping busy.
I HATE the word "content". Reminds me of something a reporter I knew once said, "It used to be called journalism. Then it became information. Now it's just content... it doesn't matter what it is so long as it gets on the air."

I lurked and posted a bit in the late 00's... Haven't dropped by in quite some time. I'm surprised it's so quiet, a lot less old-school photogs really :(

shootercub

Good grief. I joined this forum more than 20 years ago.
I scrambled across America and back, returning to Seattle in 2013.

This community was crucial for my development early in my career. I engaged a fair amount and said some dumb stuff. So... Sorry about that.

And... thank you.

Thanks for the giggles, thanks for the guidance, thanks for the camaraderie.

Anyway, after the decades of continued employment, I finally crossed a threshold so many of my colleagues achieved much earlier in their careers.
My contemporaries told me repeatedly, "You don't really work in broadcast news until you've been fired."

Well, here I am. I no longer have a boss and this heavy-lensed puppy is all mine. Feels good!

RODONDO.jpg