Avid users

tarzan

You know, it never occurred to me that there's no clickable undo button. That's because in 10+ years of using Avid, I've never had a keyboard malfunction or die on me. Ever. It's never been an issue. So don't freakin worry about it, okay?

At the scene

You know, it never occurred to me that there's no clickable undo button. That's because in 10+ years of using Avid, I've never had a keyboard malfunction or die on me. Ever. It's never been an issue. So don't freakin worry about it, okay?
LOL! It has happened to me twice in 15 or so years since going NLE. Never say never:D

At the scene

Not... entirely. You have to set it up yourself, hopefully before the keyboard craps out.

Open AVID and open the Tools menu. Select 'Command Palette'. This'll open up a smaller window with all sorts of commands. At the bottom of this window are three options but the two you're gonna be most concerned with are: 'Button to Button' and 'Menu to Button'.

'Button to Button': This allows you to drag-n-drop any command from this smaller window onto the buttons on your timeline or (if you have the keyboard settings window open) the keyboard.

'Menu to Button': (**This is what you are asking about**) This will allow you to do the same as 'B2B' but from the drop-down menus. So, highlight 'Menu to Button' on the "Command Palette" window and you'll see the cursor change shape to a clipboard... thingy. Next, select any of the buttons on the top of the timeline. (There are a couple that are blank so you don't have to sacrifice another functioning button.) Then go to the "Edit" drop-down and select "Undo" and... viola. You now have UNDO on your timeline.

You can also save your settings in general, save custom settings in your bin and save custom settings on your timeline. How to move those settings from one machine to another is something I'd love to figure out...

1. You can do this with any and, I think, all commands.
2. I'm not an AVID nerd. I too hate the damn program just as much as anyone else but have made several shortcuts that have helped me adapt to it.

Good luck.
A Big THANK YOU!!!! Correct on moving setting from one machine to another. I just set my settings individually on all 8 machines.

At the scene

A new question: I'm still learning the system, I'm trying to cut out the middle part of a pkg.Can anyone tell me how to collapse the video with in the timeline with out A) Lassoing the remainder of the clips and moving them over or B) using the cut left or right function. (which every time I use it, it throws the video off from the audio by X amount of frames). Obviously I am doing something wrong!! I hope I am explaining myself properly to figure out what to do.
Thanks!!

Capt. Slo-mo

Mark and in and an out, then use the yellow extract key. Make sure you have all the video and audio channels lit up, so that it pulls out everything...otherwise you will get the video/audio mismatch.