Your Favorite Interview Cut-away Shot

prosheditor

On network shows in interviews with multiple cameras, I've been seeing some bold cut-aways instead of the previous serious back and forth format.

I've seen low angle, floor level, high hat or sandbag wide diagonal shots of the set with visible gear in frame, sometimes eye level wide shots from a distance.

Then when a producer or net spent some money or the DP wanted to liven it up, I've seen that distant and wide dolly shot slowly creeping past a dark column, plant, staircase rail, etc..

If possible, I like a moving camera with a dolly or a slow jib descent, an approach over objects including production lights or a slow left/right sweep of the whole set. A wide slow dolly creep or slow, wide or jib ascent reveal is great for a parting bump shot.

What's your favorite shot?

Last edited:

Douglas

I prefer b-roll or other visuals than enhance the story.
Or shoot 4K and do a jump cut, as if there is a second camera.
Just thank god we don't see hands in the lap anymore.

Douglas

Yeah, you mean the wide shot that shows the setup?

"Hey, look at all the gear we have setup! With lights flying overhead and boom stands galore. This must be a great shot, right because we have so much stuff and it took a long time to setup. So let's show it to the world!"

I love to freeze those shots on my TV because then I can see exactly why the actual interview shot most often looks like ****. Those shots are great for forensics. It's funny how the guys who like to pull back and show how the hot dogs are made almost always have the ****iest tasting hot dogs. But they don't even know it. Sad, really, because they will go on and on making ****ty hotdogs for years, when they could make a few simple changes and have gourmet hot dogs.

I have a collection of hundreds of stills (good and bad examples) that I've captured from network shows (as recently as yesterday). I use some of these stills during the interview lighting classes that I teach to help people start to recognize what makes an interview look good or ugly. By learning to analyze the work of others and train your eye to see what is good and what is bad in your own setups with an have an objective eye.

I don't even bother with analyzing local news because that would be just too damn easy to rip apart. But the guys working at the network level should have hire skills levels understand the most basic concepts of creating a nice looking interview. There's no excuse for some of the crap I see on network TV. It's rarely about how much gear you drag into the room, the limitations of the location, etc.

I have to say that we have entered an era where the we are seeing some of the worst looking interviews of all time on network programs. The ratio between good and bad examples is falling fast.

End of rant.

Run&Gun

I have to say that we have entered an era where the we are seeing some of the worst looking interviews of all time on network programs. The ratio between good and bad examples is falling fast.
Which is even sadder and more maddening when you look at the incredible tools that we have at our disposal, today.

But, unfortunately, I think that the availability of the incredible, and now extremely affordable and available tools, is part of the (many pronged) problem. This industry is now overrun by so many that do not deserve to be at the high levels that they are working. They are there just because they were able to buy a camera.

Other pieces of the problem puzzle are also greedy, cheap networks, inexperienced producers and a continuing downward spiral of standards by the aforementioned networks and producers. As long as there isn't a black hole on-air, they really don't care.

prosheditor

I'm a big fan of the Monitor in the forground...
Ahh, I forgot about that one.

I prefer b-roll or other visuals than enhance the story.

Or shoot 4K and do a jump cut, as if there is a second camera.
Just thank god we don't see hands in the lap anymore.
I think we're talking about two different things here. I'm talking about straight interviews in news magazine type shows or any others that don't use b-roll or anything external to cut to like video, stills, etc.. It's more for aesthetics than necessity, not to be overused, breaking the monotony of a boring volley if an interviewer is included on screen. These shots are sometimes seen in sports docs like FSN's Beyond the Glory or ESPN's 30 for 30 even though they are intercut with alot of backstory and sidestory b-roll. And yes, it is definitely a better alternative than hands in the lap.

When you say shooting 4K and jump cutting, do you mean that because it's such high resolution you could shoot a wide 2 shot with one camera & do a push (medium or tight) in post to get a single on either person to simulate 3 cameras such as a wide & two cross cameras?

If you are, I get what you're saying and that is crafty and industrious if you only have one camera and want to mix it up but only if you've got the extra pixels as you mentioned because I've seen that trick attempted with SD and it was horrid. When it was blown up from the push, it looked like they shot a CRT screen with all the scan lines magnified. You know, what some do as an intentional effect in promos for a faux grainy look, except they tried to pass this off as multi-camera. When it first cut to the medium, I couldn't understand why it was so soft & and the scan lines were dancing. Then I later realized the person who was shooting it was a known cheapskate which explained everything. But he got him a multi-cam shoot with only one. Hahaha

Someday there maybe a compound eye type image sensor like on an insect with a companion lens that can capture multiple angles simultaneously and natively. And with the new optical point of interest software technology that's already in use in security and RC helo video systems, one camera could track multiple moving subjects.

. . . I'm tired of seeing how the hotdogs are made, so to speak. It's lazy and was getting old after the first few times I had to do it 8 years ago.
Lazy? How is something that takes skill and extra effort to execute, lazy? I'd call it creative and like Mr J said in addition to b-roll, alot more interesting than hands in the lap. What would you suggest as the alternative Mr Speilberg because there's not very many?

. . . "Hey, look at all the gear we have setup! With lights flying overhead and boom stands galore. This must be a great shot, right because we have so much stuff and it took a long time to setup. So let's show it to the world!" . . .

. . . It's funny how the guys who like to pull back and show how the hot dogs are made almost always have the ****iest tasting hot dogs. But they don't even know it. . . .

. . . But the guys working at the network level should have hire skills levels understand the most basic concepts of creating a nice looking interview. . . .

. . . . There's no excuse for some of the crap I see on network TV. It's rarely about how much gear you drag into the room, the limitations of the location, etc.
I do working set cutaways when appropriate because of what a said above not necessarily to show off, that's just a side effect perception.

You should say 'some' guys and my hotdogs do not taste like sh!t.

"should have 'hire' skill levels"? Auto-correct, right?

I agree. Maybe they should use WarmCards and it would be perfect.

I don't know what that means.
I wouldn't expect any less from a grumpy old hemorrhoid. CG is talking short code about "likes". We're just lucky to get him to grace this thread with his annointed presence, especially since I started it. I believe what he said is to mean there's not enough Facebook likes available to agree with you more.

Although everyone's opinion is welcome and I really like the participation of the vets, I don't understand how asking about DPs' and shooters' favorite cut-away shots degraded into this conversation. It is what it is, a creative alternative shot and I was simply wondering if/when it was done, what a favorite is and why. Just because YOU (anybody) have been there and done that doesn't mean it's obsolete. Thanks and blast away.

Douglas

Ahh, I forgot about that one.
When you say shooting 4K and jump cutting, do you mean that because it's such high resolution you could shoot a wide 2 shot with one camera & do a push (medium or tight) in post to get a single on either person to simulate 3 cameras such as a wide & two cross cameras?
Yes, that is what I'm talking about, but it doesn't have to be a two shot. It can be a single medium and then single 50% tighter extracted from the same shot. When done properly it looks perfect. You cannot tell that the tighter shot was extracted from a 4K medium shot. And a 50% jump is generally enough that it does not look very much like a jump cut, especially if the framing of the tight shot is changed so the jump doesn't just go straight in (sloppy to do it that way).

Also, if you don't mind me saying so, it seems a little odd to invite a conversation and then kind of slam everyone for chiming in with their comments. You should do a blog if you don't want other opinions.

Run&Gun

Lazy? How is something that takes skill and extra effort to execute, lazy? I'd call it creative and like Mr J said in addition to b-roll, alot more interesting than hands in the lap. What would you suggest as the alternative Mr Speilberg because there's not very many?
I can call it that because I was working on one of the shows that started the trend almost a decade ago. One of the cameras would basically walk around during the whole interview and shoot making sure there was equipment in the shot and make sure you saw what we would never intentionally show and used to work so hard to previously keep out of shots. It CAN be cool if used sparingly like as a bump shot, intro or parting type shot, but as part of the meat & potatoes of the piece constantly cutting around with the subject and talent… No.

My .02

prosheditor

. . . Also, if you don't mind me saying so, it seems a little odd to invite a conversation and then kind of slam everyone for chiming in with their comments. You should do a blog if you don't want other opinions.
What? How far down did you scroll in my last post? Please read the last paragraph again and you'll answer your own question. Thanks

Up the BNC

Douglas is right it is punks like you who don't know any better that got Nino kicked off this board and i would much rather hear Douglas, or Nino than you any day.

cameragod

I don't know what that means.

Sorry I was trying to be "down with the kids" and use interweb speak for good rant.

Back in our day crews saw being on the big interview shows as something to strive for. You practiced your "60 Minutes" style every chance you got so when you got your chance to work on a show like it you could bring your A game and maybe even show a new thing you have thought up. All in the hope you might get invited back or even (gasp) permanently assigned.
You had to nail the big interview or you were doomed to regional shows forever.
Now producers seem more interested in how cheap you are or what camera you have, relying on cheap time in post to fix the paint by number crews who have no fresh ideas and no real skill set to build on.

I don't have a favorite shot (OK that's sort of a lie, I do have a signature shot) to me its about using the best shot to help tell the story, not shoehorning in my current shot of the week to the story whether it fits or not.
The shots are influenced by by location and story content. Yesterday I lugged a slider to location and left it in its bag because it just wasn't right for the shoot once I got there. I actually ended up using the hated hand shot as in this case it really worked emotionally and was intimate, where as the slider would have created distance.

I guess I'm saying you need to be able to shoot whatever the story needs and make that your favorite shot, for that story.

prosheditor

Douglas is right it is punks like you who don't know any better that got Nino kicked off this board and i would much rather hear Douglas, or Nino than you any day.
You mad bro? I see we're back in kindergarten again. At least when Chicago Dog bit into someone here it spoke with intelligence, complete and correctly punctuated sentences.

I think you are dillusional and need to see a psychiatrist, psychologist or whatever it takes to fix your mental issue. Do you even comprehend what you said? How do you function in today's society or this insane, evolving production world thinking and making reckless statements like that? If I had called you or some of the other overly sensitive types here a punk, you or they would have run to the teacher (Big K) like a little kid and demanded that I be reprimanded or banned. You're probably going to whine to him about this very reply because that's how controlling and hypocritical you are. Well, I got news for ya, you don't call the shots here and it's a good thing too! If it was up to people like you and others like you, it would be even more of an oppressed graveyard than it already is. Thankfully, Big K has more of a life, a level head and common sense than you and others here.

Over the past few years, I've taken weeks, months and as much as 2 yrs away from this place because of work, the lack of diverse, engaging content and because of the nauseating, exclusive backpatting, highfiving, go along to get along, club atmosphere that exists on every board. Anyway, I just returned in the last 2 weeks from an 8 month hiatus, and once again as before, I see few new conversations and the SAME small group of people talking and arguing about much of the same thing. So it ain't just me pal.

But according to you, it's others' fault that a person gets banned? Really? It clearly sounds like you are someone who has been told they can do no wrong their entire life and that it's everybody elses fault. Apparently who you mentioned getting banned happened during one of my extended abscenses from this board so I was unaware. But did it ever occur to you that a person is usually removed because an owner is displeased or an overwhelming number of complaints by many others caused it prompting the owner to agree and act on it? What does that tell you, huh? It doesn't matter if the person in question is 100% right, if the majority or consensus doesn't recognize that or the right and helpful comments of the accused have enough negative side effects, it doesn't matter how right that one person is, they will be removed. So, it's that person's repeated actions or comments got them removed not anyone else. Do you get that? I agreed with most of what he said and he never openly criticized or attacked me. Again, it's a good thing that Big K is fair and has the final word to override the exclusive, eccentric club mentality.

It's more than clear that the two people you mentioned are very experienced & accomplished in their careers and I certainly acknowledge and highly respect that but I don't have to constantly praise them and sniff their tails like a dog to affirm it. I've been a part of and have some notable professional accomplishments myself and I don't care if you or anybody else believes it or not. Do you really live your life idolizing, deifying and worshiping only two people on this board and in this industry thinking they are the only ones that know everything there is to know? If so, you're cutting yourself short which is narrow minded and explains your bizarre response but it's not the way I exist. I've had the absolute privelage to stand inches or a few feet from, along with rare brief conversations with a few of the most amazing A-list feature film and tv XPs, directors, DPs, camera/steadicam/jib/crane operators, audio mixers, boom ops, ACs, loaders, gaffers, key grips, crafty, etc along with a few tv and film actors in the entire industry that makes tv news, magazines, etc look like romper room. So don't you dare lecture me on who the best is, you got that? It is becoming abundantly clear that if you don't go by the templated script here and bow to a certain few, you're exiled into oblivion. But I tell it like it is and if you don't like it, don't read it.

Up the BNC

hmmmm must have struck a nerve. I guess I am just old and cranky and my cold Piles have gotten the best of me I am off to the retirement home for us cranky old folks that don't know any better ;p

BluesCam

My favorite is a second camera on the floor, shooting up the nose, through a glass table top. :>)

Last edited: