KTVU...Anyone Work There

Cameradude

"...but NTSB screwed up and let an intern confirm bad information..."

As the NTSB says in plane crash investigation reports, "an unbroken chain of events led to an irreversible situation".

In this case, an "unbroken chain of stupid", a special kind of stupid....LOL!!

At the scene

I don't know how many times I've posted this on facebook pages, but NTSB screwed up and let an intern confirm bad information.
http://www.ntsb.gov/news/2013/130712.html
Hi Cyndy, you're not suggesting that this is solely the NTSB's fault are you? Are media outlets that "STUPID" that they couldn't figure out that this was a joke, no matter where the source came from. This information could have come from the White House and we would have seen the same results.

Geez and the big wigs of TV news are trying to figure out why the public has lost faith in the media. HMMMM!! I have no idea why!!!!

Capt. Slo-mo

Yes, I find it inconceivable that no one at the station looked at that list...from the producer to the anchor to the AP inputting the CG information...and said "Hey...wait a minute!"

You can even hear the hesitation in the anchor's delivery as she realizes what she's about to say in the fictitious last name that rhymes with duck.

This kind of sloppiness is a good part of the reason why local TV news has largely lost the interest of the viewing public.

Dble(Punched)Vision

Great and Powerful

Indignant responses. I love the snarky and indignant responses of those of you who are incapable of making a mistake. The outrage! If you've been in a local newsroom recently you know exactly how this happened. Good people trying to be thorough and first to air accepted the first "yes" they heard on the phone and forced the bad information to air without taking a breath.

I watched KTVU as their coverage got going on day one and I watched their apology after this major F-up aired. They are solid news folks but they are human. It was embarrassing to witness the video of their noon newscast but it also hit WAY TOO close to home. It could happen anywhere and is a sage reminder to double check facts and take a breath and think when you are rushing to be first.

The reason viewers are tuning local news out? They discovered its not delivered by the Great and Powerful Oz but by a normal person who puts their pants on one leg at a time.

Is it lonely up there on your high horse?

Speed Graphic

The biggest message to take away from this is that if it can happen to KTVU, it can happen to anyone. No station is immune from mistakes despite the posturing of "well it can't happen to us."

Truth be told, I'm surprised incidents like this do not happen more often in this world of less people doing more.

Shootblue

I've often said, just wait til the terrorists figure out the access that a shoulder-mount cam can give you...

As for a group of college kids or a bored comedian, this kind of thing is all to easy to do.

Heck, we once sent a photog to the "ninja parade"...he luckily quickly grasped the humor when he saw noone there.

At the scene

Indignant responses. I love the snarky and indignant responses of those of you who are incapable of making a mistake. The outrage! If you've been in a local newsroom recently you know exactly how this happened. Good people trying to be thorough and first to air accepted the first "yes" they heard on the phone and forced the bad information to air without taking a breath.

I watched KTVU as their coverage got going on day one and I watched their apology after this major F-up aired. They are solid news folks but they are human. It was embarrassing to witness the video of their noon newscast but it also hit WAY TOO close to home. It could happen anywhere and is a sage reminder to double check facts and take a breath and think when you are rushing to be first.

The reason viewers are tuning local news out? They discovered its not delivered by the Great and Powerful Oz but by a normal person who puts their pants on one leg at a time.

Are you kidding me!!!! Dude you live in LA LA land. Yes of course mistakes happen, they happen all the time. However this mistake could have been picked up by a 5th grader. This has nothing to do with the great and powerful oz!!! This has to do with the dumbing down of local TV news. No more do you need yrs of experience to work in the news business!! Obviously any idiot can do it. This is the kind of crap that used to happen in market 2000 where you would have to cut your teeth in the business. NOT IN A TOP NEWS MARKET. If you think there is nothing wrong with what happen then you my friend are part of the problem with today's news business.

Last edited:

Dble(Punched)Vision

Are you kidding me!!!! Dude you live in LA LA land. Yes of course mistakes happen, they happen all the time. However this mistake could have been picked up by a 5th grader. This has nothing to do with the great and powerful oz!!! This has to do with the dumbing down of local TV news. No more do you need yrs of experience to work in the news business!! Obviously any idiot can do it. This is the kind of crap that used to happen in market 2000 where you would have to cut your teeth in the business. NOT IN A TOP NEWS MARKET. If you think there is nothing wrong with what happen then you my friend are part of the problem with today's news business.
Dude, read what I wrote again. It's a colasal f-up. It will get the station sued. It IS getting the station sued. People produce the news and people will make mistakes, even colasal ones. Heads should roll. But don't be an asshole. If its so easy to pick up, how did this happen?

An assumption was made by every person who touched that copy: the person before me read it and passed it on so it must be correct. Never assume. Question. Verify. Any 5th grader can do it but not every adult does.

Capt. Slo-mo

Sure, anybody can make a mistake.

But this is one that no reputable news organization should have made. If this kind of thing gets past them and onto the air, what about the harder stuff?

At the scene

Dude, read what I wrote again. It's a colasal f-up. It will get the station sued. It IS getting the station sued. People produce the news and people will make mistakes, even colasal ones. Heads should roll. But don't be an asshole. If its so easy to pick up, how did this happen?

An assumption was made by every person who touched that copy: the person before me read it and passed it on so it must be correct. Never assume. Question. Verify. Any 5th grader can do it but not every adult does.
I did read what you wrote, so I do not have to read it again.

"Indignant responses. I love the snarky and indignant responses of those of you who are incapable of making a mistake"
Good people trying to be thorough and first to air accepted the first "yes" they heard on the phone and forced the bad information to air without taking a breath

Tell me where in your first post you wrote this " It's a colasal f-up. It will get the station sued. It IS getting the station sued. People produce the news and people will make mistakes, even colasal ones. "

I am not saying that I am above making mistakes, I am not perfect no one is but really how many people do you think that ran thru. I don't know maybe 5!!! Is every newsroom today "THAT STUPID". Answer YES!!!!!! I have a 5th grader who caught that as soon as he saw it. Come on, there is no defending that.
Sounds like you are in the local TV news business, how honorable to defend your fellow tv news man.

Dble(Punched)Vision

I'll guess by your response you work outside a local newsroom. Neat. Your disdain is apparent. I am impressed you would admit to making mistakes and in the same breathe condemn others for theirs. I don't defend the error but I see no need to pile on, vacillating about the state of "stupid" newsrooms during a Monday morning quarterbacking session.

What happened at KTVU was poetic justice. The arrogant stepped on their own dicks over there and now folks like you are popping up to point and yell "ha, ha!" You got 'em good there Nelson.

At the scene

Ladies and gentlemen there you go. Todays local newsroom employees, lets not punish stupid mistakes lets learn from them and hope it never happens again. We wonder why the public has lost faith in local news. Keep up the solid performance!!!

cyndygreen1

Yes, someone needs to be disciplined...I think the point DPV was trying to make is that we are all human and need to realize that it could have been us. To recognize the human failure as such, and to work vigilantly to prevent future errors.

At the scene

Cyndy would you have fallen for this gag!!! Honestly I understand about human error Im not perfect but really " sum ting wong" " ho lee fuk" come on.
Is this what local newsrooms have become. People who cannot think for thenselves. " geez this must be correct the NTSB said so!!!

At the scene

I'll guess by your response you work outside a local newsroom. Neat. Your disdain is apparent. I am impressed you would admit to making mistakes and in the same breathe condemn others for theirs. I don't defend the error but I see no need to pile on, vacillating about the state of "stupid" newsrooms during a Monday morning quarterbacking session.

What happened at KTVU was poetic justice. The arrogant stepped on their own dicks over there and now folks like you are popping up to point and yell "ha, ha!" You got 'em good there Nelson.
Hmmm!
Doctor says sorry Mr. Bailie we found nothing wrong when we went in the knee for surgery. Mr. Bailie replies "that's because its my elbow that needs surgery".

Ford automotive company apologizes to Mr. Bailie for the terrible accident that caused his wife to lose both her legs, stating " it was human error that the steering was not installed properly".

Jacksons oil company accused of blowing up Mr. Roland Bailie's home. Company says human error "we did not train our staff properly, trying to save money".

But I'm sure this is all ok with you Mr. Forgiven! People make mistakes all the time. Let's not be Monday morning quarterbacks and pass judgment. Heck it's just the world we live in.