Reporter Gets Punched

NEWSSHOOTER3

HERE's video of CBS Atlanta reporter Jeff Chirico & I attempting to question a business for apparently operating illegally and allegedly ripping off thousands of dollars from customers.

Anyway, I was curious to hear from some people and try & gauge perception of how all this went down?

Or, maybe you just like watching a reporter get punched in the face?

Whatever the case, any thoughts?

http://bit.ly/UIeR0l

svp

First, I clicked the link but it didnt take me to the specific story. I'm assuming its the same video our newsroom watched a week or so ago. Everyone in the newsroom who watched it was pretty much in agreement that the reporter was completely in the wrong when he grabbed the door as if to follow the guy inside. He's not even the suspect, it's his son. You were clearly on private property and at the point he tells you to leave and you don't you are trespassing. Frankly, your reporter got what he deserved. He shouldn't have grabbed the door to keep it open.

code20photog

And I'll bet they promo'd the hell out of it. Most "investigative" reporting these days is simply finding something that will result in a confrontation. My shop is famous for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if NDs across the country are figuring out ways to get their guys punched like this.

Land Rover

I might be private property but its a business open to the public, not someone's home. The video doesn't show if he was asked to leave earlier or not but what it does show is that he was attacked and then told to leave.

svp

Clicking that link from my iPhone only takes me to the stations home page on the mobile site.

svp

Malls are businesses open to the public as well but we all know you can't just show up with a camera and start shooting. Even though its a business open to the public, it's still private property.

Latin Lens

As I've also seen this story multiple times (thanks AJ)...I have a bit of a different view on this. Many investigations require confrontations because they are warranted and can make a dull investigation exciting depending on the result. An investigation requires the reporter attempt to get answers regardless of the individual being confronted. Obviously there's a connection here that warrants the reporter trying to get answers...closed/slam doors might stop some but if you really want the answers you continue but you gotta be prepared for what may come (like a punch to the face). Not many reporters have the stomach for this type of work...kudos guys job well done. I consider this a respectful confrontation...not antaganistic.