This PKG IS For Critique...

NewsMan

Anyone, including CD: During the sequence with the confused teen, CD calls the "temporal jumpcuts" and I can see why . However, it works for me very well. Is this sequence improper editing? Why or why not?

valkbilly

Cute piece... that's what is cool about this job... you can produce your story the way you see fit.... some may like it, some may not. All that matters is that you were happy with it!
Every story could be better or worse!!

NewsMan

So Nino, are you offering constructive criticism or just jumping on the "slam Newsman" bandwagon? Let's start with the reflector idea: What is your suggestion for using a reflector as a single fotog out there shooting a NAT package. I'm trying to understand how to employ such a device solo.

As for your teacher telling you a Video NAT pkg being able to stand on it's own without audio: Interesting lesson. I'll have top think about it, but off the top of my head a NATURAL SOUND pkg standing alone with no sound seems a little wierd. Perhaps you can explain more without insulting me?

Finally, if you could elaborate on the question I posed regarding the "temporal jumpcuts".

Thanks.

Bismarck

I'm pretty sure that NewsMan wasn't using the auto-iris. When he was training me I think he would have beat me with a stick if I did that.

NewsMan

Nobody is out to get Newsman, personally I don’t give damn about Newsman, I’m only trying to relate 38 year of experience to another fellow photographer who asked for our opinions; you do what you want with it.
I think you and cameradog both should take a look at how you critique me and how you critique this gent:

http://www.b-roll.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20736

Are you out to get me? I certainly doubt it, but you certainly seem to have an attitude with me, which makes me discount your input, 38 years and all. Why would you even tie me in with Rosenblum at all?

Nino

I tell you what Newsman, I deleted both of my posts, I apology so please let me start again.

That piece is terrific, great job, keep up the good work.

AB

I think you and cameradog both should take a look at how you critique me and how you critique this gent:
If you're going to take things so personally, it might be wise to seek advice from someone you know and respect on a one-on-one basis instead of putting it out on the internet.

If you're going to ask for a critique, which you did, you had better get a thick skin. Did it get a little too personal for you? Maybe, but what did you honestly expect out in cyberspace?

I have re-read this thread and the initial posts. It honestly wasn't that bad until you took offense and got into a spat with CD. From his past on this board, you should have known if you go looking for an argument with CD, he'll grant you one and have his points lined up and ready to go.

Even though he deleted it, Nino put it best. If you want an "attaboy", show it to friends and family. The story you posted was okay, it had some nice elements. Overall though, it was not great, not better than average. Sorry.

McFly

There is a way to critique without being a total scrotum.
Like Cameradog...
I think every story needs a SURPRISE. It's critical in the storytelling process. If I said I was going to tell you a story about a little girl who goes to grandma's house and instead finds a wolf in her place... well... where's the climax?

Someone mentioned they thought it was a piece about Ozzfest. That's great because it WASN'T! You had to continue WATCHING to figure out what the piece was about.

The jump cuts? I thought they worked great. I don't buy into rules that don't allow for any flexibility. The first rule is: Know when to break the rest of the rules!

Now... where did this happen? Who was giving the gas away and why? That wasn't included in the PACKAGE... but it may have been a part of the INTRO.

Nice job. You put a lot more time and effort into that than most people would have.

cameradog

There is a way to critique without being a total scrotum.
Like Cameradog...
Nice. The hidden font thing was funny.

As for giving a critique without being a scrotum, his responses make it clear he didn't want a critique. He wanted validation and was ready to argue with anybody who didn't give it to him. As long as he's going to be dishonest about his motives, I see no reason to be gentle with the critique.

McFly

The hidden message is a vintage McFly trademark. Been doing that for years... Glad you liked!

redcoat

Newsman, unfortunately I have little remorse for you. This thread might as well have been titled "This PKG is for my personal validation." In your first post you set out to show people what you are made of, and according to some veterans of news and this board, that's not so much. They phrased things in harsh terms because right off the top you came across in a very arrogant way. You claimed to be looking for critique, but instead you seemed to be saying "just in case my last package didn't floor you, this one surely will."

I'm just paraphrasing the vibe I got from you. So my suggestion is, if you're really looking for honest critique, come to the table with a different attitude. If you don't, people are going to continue to want to put you in your place. If you look at other threads where people ask for critique, you'll see that they present their work with a humble approach and things never head down this road.

Is it just me, or do some people just wait for the opportunity to rip someone else apart? I dont know any of you personally, but it seems some people on this board take themselves and this career way too seriously. Lighten up. We arent curing cancer here.

NewsMan

Newsman, unfortunately I have little remorse for you. This thread might as well have been titled "This PKG is for my personal validation." In your first post you set out to show people what you are made of, and according to some veterans of news and this board, that's not so much. They phrased things in harsh terms because right off the top you came across in a very arrogant way. You claimed to be looking for critique, but instead you seemed to be saying "just in case my last package didn't floor you, this one surely will."

I'm just paraphrasing the vibe I got from you. So my suggestion is, if you're really looking for honest critique, come to the table with a different attitude. If you don't, people are going to continue to want to put you in your place. If you look at other threads where people ask for critique, you'll see that they present their work with a humble approach and things never head down this road.
Then why even say anything. I've looked back at the posts and I disagree. Sorry my requests didn't have a smiley face. My intent was sincere, but it was clear from the beginning that CD was more interested in slammin' me than anything. Same with Nino, who erased his remarks. In them, he goes on about Rosenblum, and this and that. Whatever. I'll make this easy and just lurk from now on.

This isn't the first time members on this board have done this to me, and I'm not the first to get this treatment.

There's a problem on this board, and there has been for years, with elitism.

NewsMan

Let me add...

I believe this treatment comes from the fact that over the years I have made arguments for Rosenblum. When Nino brought that out (which he has since deleted), I knew the problem immediately.

Fact is, if I wanted validation, I would first join NPPA and try to win awards straight off. Second, I've been a member of this board for SIX yeras and have NEVER posted ANY of my packages for critique; something I would've done for validation. At 40 years old, I really do not need validation from any of you. I'm happy where I'm at as are my colleagues and my bosses.

Finally, and I'll say it again, I posted the second package because it is a package I wanted critiqued. It was my best NAT PKG of 2007 and I wanted to know what I could do better with it. All I got was what a pile of rubbish it was. How mediocre it was and how it looks like one of Rosenblum's followers. Now how in the hell can anyone take these remarks to heart? Not only that, but the tone from that direction made any legitimate advice useless at that point.

Regardless what you people THINK the intent of my post (funny how people try to imagine emotion in every email), it was sincere in it's original request which was immediately met with disdain by our local Rosenblum bashers.

Nino

My intent was sincere, but it was clear from the beginning that CD was more interested in slammin' me than anything. Same with Nino, who erased his remarks. In them, he goes on about Rosenblum, and this and that.
Newsman, I erased my suggestions, or "remarks" as you put it, because I'm not going to waste my time with somebody who can not take criticism after asking for his work to be criticize, and not because I made some stupid remarks, you are confusing remark with suggestions, those were suggestions. I'm sorry but I don't know how many ways to say "bad work". I'll look it up in the thesaurus or I can put it to music next time. There were many good suggestions given to you and but you interpreted those as "they are out to get me". Take a lesson from Javary and his recent similar thread, he got "slammed" too and he posted a "thank you" note for the very constructive "slamming" he received. Why on earth would I or anyone else be wasting our time just for "slamming" you is a mystery to me, nobody is that important.

My reference to Rosenblum and his VJ wasn't to "slam" you, I didn't think that was so difficult to understand, wasn't meant to you, it was meant to bad work or mediocre work in general. It was to show that MR's success come from bad work being produced for television today. This is the number one reason for his success. He made such reference on many occasions and be sure that your video is in his collection right now. He goes to his clients, shows bad work and tells them that his VJ can do the same or better for half the cost. His work is much worse but he is smart, try finding some, he removed every piece of video produced by his own VJs at Verizon Hyperlocal so there could be no comparisons. Remember, every time that a bad or mediocre video appears on TV the chances of someone, somewhere loosing his job increases.

AB

My apologies, this was fantastic!

Finally, and I'll say it again, I posted the second package because it is a package I wanted critiqued. It was my best NAT PKG of 2007 and I wanted to know what I could do better with it. All I got was what a pile of rubbish it was. How mediocre it was and how it looks like one of Rosenblum's followers. Now how in the hell can anyone take these remarks to heart? Not only that, but the tone from that direction made any legitimate advice useless at that point.
Okay, I too take back my criticism. That was the greatest natural sound package I have ever seen in my life. Every shot was framed perfectly. The sound, both natural and interviews, was to die for. The reveal was pure brilliance! Any confusion about facts must have been answered in the anchor lead-in and tag. How can you mess with perfection?