Old 09-23-2010, 08:58 PM

BlueBoy
Default Sony EX1 as webcam?

What do I need to use my Sony EX1 as a webcam through Skype? I'm on a MAC.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Zachariah James Thiessen Love

zac love is on a distinguished road

As long as you don't have one of the newest MacBooks, you should already have firewire. Plug the camera in through that & see if Skype can spot the camera.

See if that works.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:02 PM

BlueBoy

Nothing works. Connected via firewire, connected via USB. Not recognized by iChat or Skype. Nothing in the manual, nothing on the Sony website. Is there a driver needed.
How could this camera not support this function?????
Old 10-27-2010, 01:45 PM

FeedingFrenzy

Do you have the firewire "enabled" in the menu? If its not, then your computer won't even see it.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:32 PM

Necktie Boy is on a distinguished road

If I correct, only HDV goes down the firewire. Make sure the camera is set to 25, and not 35.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:53 PM

FeedingFrenzy

Nope, it'll do both DVCam & HDV. You need to enable it in the menu. You also may have to choose a trigger mode. I use the "both" mode. Its on page 138 of the manual.

"• Set “i.LINK I/O” (page 131) of the OTHERS menu to “HDV” or “DVCAM.” HDV: To output an HDV stream when you set the video format to SP 1440/60i, SP 1440/50i, or SP 1440/24P in HD Mode DVCAM: To output a DVCAM stream in SD Mode
• Set “Trigger Mode” (page 131) of the OTHERS menu to “Both” or “External.” Both: To record both on the memory card in the camcorder and on the external device External: To record only on the external device.

There's much more, but at least you can get to the page number and go from there.
BTW, as long as the "i-Link" is active, the camera will not let you engage the S&Q mode. Not really necessary for a web cam, but when you try to use it while shooting and it doesn't engage, disable the i-link. Great camera, did you have any backfocus issues out of the box?
Old 10-28-2010, 03:20 PM

BlueBoy

I'm going to go with "this is not possible". Followed FeedingFrenzys menu settings...even contacted Sony.

This was Sonys advice:
To enable the firewire on the camera you need to do the following:
1) Set Menu-->Others-->i.LINK I/O to Enable
2) Set Menu-->Others-->Video Format to an SP format (these formats are 25 Mbps and can be sent over firewire; the 35 Mbps formats require an SDI connection)
3) Set Menu-->Video Set-->Y PB PR/SDI OUT to OFF
After doing this the live camera signal or the playback signal can be output via firewire

Still nothing. Camera is still not recognized by Skype, iMovie, or iChat.
Very disappointing. You'd think a camera of this price could support such a simple function.
How did you correct the backfocus issue?
Old 10-28-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBoy View Post
Very disappointing. You'd think a camera of this price could support such a simple function.
Not sure if I would blame this on Sony or Skype.

Can Skype take a MiniDV camera as a webcam over firewire? If so, then Skype is off the hook. And I wouldn't blame Skype too much if they can take DV but not HDV, as the feed is probably getting scaled down lots & so you're way below SD res anyway.

Sony was a little ahead of themselves in NOT putting SD on the EX1. Their proline HDV cameras can all output DV via firewire while recording HDV to media. So the computer sees it as only a DV device, and any software that can take a DV firewire feed, can then take the HD camera's feed as DV.

I can partially blame Sony for not having a DV downconvert through firewire, but not too much as the camera can't do ANY SD (you have to upgrade to the EX1R for that). So you should know when you purchase the EX1 that it is HD & HD only.

Plus you're using a professional camera & free software. How much do you expect free software to support a cutting edge hardware?

It would be nice if everything high end, played well with everything low end, but it doesn't have to. When you spend lots of extra money, you get to scoff & brag that what you're using is so advanced it only works with other top shelf products.

(PS have you tried Justin.tv? Live web-streaming from about anything. It took me less time to set up an account & start web-casting than it did to reply to this thread.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:23 AM

eugalc

I'm just thinking off the top of my head, but have you tried downconverting the video output? The EX1 will only record HD, but you can use the camera's internal downconverter to get SD out of the camera. We've done this for digitizing...I know why would you digitize S x S media...that's another story.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:19 AM

BlueBoy

OK, forget the EX1...the verdict is that it is useless for Skype use. Moving on.
Looking for suggestions for an affordable "Skype friendly" camera.
Something that looks professional...perhaps adjustable iris and manual focus.
With mic input and headphone output.
Thanks,
Old 08-22-2011, 04:07 PM
PRO user
Mario Page

supedog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac love View Post
Not sure if I would blame this on Sony or Skype.

Can Skype take a MiniDV camera as a webcam over firewire? If so, then Skype is off the hook. And I wouldn't blame Skype too much if they can take DV but not HDV, as the feed is probably getting scaled down lots & so you're way below SD res anyway.

Sony was a little ahead of themselves in NOT putting SD on the EX1. Their proline HDV cameras can all output DV via firewire while recording HDV to media. So the computer sees it as only a DV device, and any software that can take a DV firewire feed, can then take the HD camera's feed as DV.

I can partially blame Sony for not having a DV downconvert through firewire, but not too much as the camera can't do ANY SD (you have to upgrade to the EX1R for that). So you should know when you purchase the EX1 that it is HD & HD only.

Plus you're using a professional camera & free software. How much do you expect free software to support a cutting edge hardware?

It would be nice if everything high end, played well with everything low end, but it doesn't have to. When you spend lots of extra money, you get to scoff & brag that what you're using is so advanced it only works with other top shelf products.

(PS have you tried Justin.tv? Live web-streaming from about anything. It took me less time to set up an account & start web-casting than it did to reply to this thread.
I have used my Panasonic HVX200 with Skype with no problem over firewire. However, It only works in DV/Tape mode (Cannot have switch in P2 mode).
Old 08-22-2011, 04:35 PM

It looks like if you have a camera with FireWire out, you should probably get something to work. So something like a DV or HDV type camera might work. (Google "Skype & Firewire")

According to the description, this live shot was done on Skype, laptop & P2 camera via Firewire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6hnagSBZbc
Old 08-24-2011, 03:42 AM
Banned

Zetandy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac love View Post
It looks like if you have a camera with FireWire out, you should probably get something to work. So something like a DV or HDV type camera might work. (Google "Skype & Firewire")

According to the description, this live shot was done on Skype, laptop & P2 camera via Firewire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6hnagSBZbc
Wow, thanks your information.