Go Back   b-roll.net FORUM > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Should the OMB Category be added to the b-roll.net AWARDS?
YES 8 25.00%
NO 15 46.88%
YES, but with some changes to the rule. 9 28.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Founder
Kevin Johnson

b-roll will become famous soon enough
Default Should the b-roll.net AWARDS have a OMB Category?

There has been a good debate on the b-roll.net FORUM about whether or not there should be a "One Man Band" category in the b-roll.net AWARDS.

Here is the proposed rule:

One Man Band
Single Story Entry
Maximum Entry Length: 3 minutes
Completion Time Limit: 12 hours
Definition: A single report produced solely by one person. All elements must be shot, edited and written by single producer. Reporter track not required.

What do you think?

PLEASE VOTE ABOVE!
http://b-roll.net

Last edited by b-roll; 10-30-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:56 AM
PRO user
Richard Adkins

Rad is on a distinguished road

I shoot, write and edit... and have an anchor read the track for what I do... am I a One Man Band under this rule?

Purveyor of moving images, Pundit for the TV News Photographer.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Founder
Kevin Johnson

b-roll will become famous soon enough

After a recommendation from: FTOJRLST, I changed the tracking requirement.

To count as a One Man Band, you are not required to track the story yourself. The only requirement is the story be shot, written and edited by one person. A project where the photog was with a reporter for the duration of the story - but wrote the piece will not count as OMB.

Basically, we want a category for shooters working autonomously on a story from interviews to shooting to writing to editing.

Tracking has been removed as a requirement for those situations where the station does not want the photog's voice on the air.
http://b-roll.net
Old 10-30-2009, 10:28 AM
There's no ketchup on a Chicago dog!

Chicago Dog is on a distinguished road

As far as voicing goes, I think the true definition of OMB is lost in that case. In many situations, whoever reads the story ends up rewriting parts of it.

This is one of the reasons why I think a OMB category is unnecessary. There's going to be a ton of different stipulations, and most everyone beyond the person who takes the award will complain their story was unfairly judged in one way or another. It's going to be a mess.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Erin Michael Winking

ewink

No.

They want to pretend they are real photojournalists, let them stack their work in the same pile.

The same goes the other way. If the real photojournalists think OMBs aren't as good, they won't have anything to worry about.

And I have managed to troll all parties involved in one post!
Old 10-30-2009, 11:38 AM

Wideangle

OMB would in my mind mean doing ALL aspects. Shooting, writing, editing, voicing. To leave out one of these four elements in an OMB category would not be fair to those who enter who
do all. I'm thinking therefore all elements should be done by one in defining the OMB group.
I think a bigger issue might be whether a piece can be considered in this category if it has no voiceover
(ie: using the subject voice interview to carry the piece). Where do you draw the line in that case?
Old 10-30-2009, 11:42 AM

slick is on a distinguished road

Erin brings up an interesting argument. "They want to pretend they are real photojournalists"

Aren't THEY the same as US. Aren't stations doing this more and more. Are Rad, Lenslinger and FTOJRLST different from US?

I'm not a fan of the OMB system, but it's coming whether we like it or not. Shouldn't we work to set a higher standard for it?

Is acknowledging it with its own category raising the standard or lowering the bar?
Old 10-30-2009, 12:28 PM

AKinDC is on a distinguished road

Personally, I think we should ban anyone from the contest that is a OMB, has ever been an OMB, or has ever heard of OMBs. It's the only way to be sure!
Old 10-30-2009, 01:21 PM
PRO user
Jim Sitton

jim sitton is on a distinguished road
Default I'll be back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideangle View Post
OMB would in my mind mean doing ALL aspects. Shooting, writing, editing, voicing. To leave out one of these four elements in an OMB category would not be fair to those who enter who
do all. I'm thinking therefore all elements should be done by one in defining the OMB group.
I think a bigger issue might be whether a piece can be considered in this category if it has no voiceover
(ie: using the subject voice interview to carry the piece). Where do you draw the line in that case?
I agree with wideangle. If you have a OMB category it should be for those who do it ALL. Shoot, write, voice, edit and appear on camera if needed. Otherwise it would be a TMB. (Two man band.)

Lat year I entered a OMB piece called Samaritan Aviation-
http://www.b-roll.net/tv/view_video....aee84a12e98098
in the feature category. I wanted to see how it stacked up to the big dogs and I did.
(It did not win and rightfully so.) but I learned from it and will be back even better and stronger this year and that, I believe is the point.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:40 PM
PRO user
Richard Adkins

Boys and Girls,

I can go either way on this. I just don't want to be eleminated from competeing becuase I don't voice the story. It's a Photography competition, right?

Old 10-30-2009, 01:51 PM
There's no ketchup on a Chicago dog!

Chicago Dog is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim sitton View Post
Lat year I entered a OMB piece called Samaritan Aviation-
http://www.b-roll.net/tv/view_video.php?viewkey=04bd3baee84a12e98098
in the feature category. I wanted to see how it stacked up to the big dogs and I did.
(It did not win and rightfully so.) but I learned from it and will be back even better and stronger this year and that, I believe is the point.
Jim, I want to buy you a beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad View Post
I can go either way on this. I just don't want to be eleminated from competeing becuase I don't voice the story. It's a Photography competition, right?
Rad, why wouldn't you just enter the story into a more fitting category? I don't understand why you'd enter it into the OMB category but not find it appropriate for one of the other many categories. Does your story carry content not covered by any other category?

Nothing against you, Rad, but this is exactly what I mean about the OMB category. It will be impossible to make everyone happy about a fair category. Someone doesn't like a prerequesite of the category, so they want it catered to their specific needs. The fact of the matter is that most folks will find an excuse as to why they didn't take first place.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Warren Watson

Baltimore Shooter is on a distinguished road

I suppose you could name it the "One Man Bland" award.

Warren

For Actor / Talent / Voiceover work - www.warrenwatson.net
Old 10-30-2009, 03:54 PM
PRO user
Richard Adkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Dog View Post
Jim, I want to buy you a beer.

Rad, why wouldn't you just enter the story into a more fitting category? I don't understand why you'd enter it into the OMB category but not find it appropriate for one of the other many categories. Does your story carry content not covered by any other category?

Nothing against you, Rad, but this is exactly what I mean about the OMB category. It will be impossible to make everyone happy about a fair category. Someone doesn't like a prerequesite of the category, so they want it catered to their specific needs. The fact of the matter is that most folks will find an excuse as to why they didn't take first place.
I will enter in other categories, depending on each category's details, I'm looking to not be excluded from THIS Category. I've always competed in the traditional categories.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:45 PM

krazycamera

Hate to open the can of proverbial here, but how are we asserting the difference between VJ pieces and an OMB's work?

Writing etc is certainly a journalistic pursuit.

Mind you, lots of us do it.

To me, OMB is not a regular shift I do - I fill in where it's too late to send a journo, or it's an unplanned story that starts life as a sot, growing from there.
I'm there and doing it before a producer gets the headache of 'how to?'

They're my stories from 0'00-1'30'', but voiced by someone else. Occasionally it's even left for the overnight editor to cut. But they're my questions, my shots, my effort to seal the deal.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Anthony Mirones

bluffton
Default I'm a OMB

I say NO! If a reporter wants to shoot video and edit it then the reporter should enter it in a photography contest. If a photographer wants to write a story, then (s)he should enter it into a writing contest.

OMB Award = "She's pretty good for a girl." NO thank you. I want to be awarded for being the best, but not the "...pretty good for a OMB."

Just a thought.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:23 PM
PRO user
Danny Rogers

Brock Samson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad View Post
Boys and Girls,

I agree. For some of us, we do everything but voice, simply because voicing is not an option for us. It's a photography competition, not a sexy voice competition.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:42 PM
PRO user
Stewart Pittman

Lenslinger will become famous soon enough

As I'm not much of award hound, I have no dog in this fight. I am however the classic example of what some of you here fear. I shoot, write AND edit. Well. By choice. The scripts I hand to anchors to read are virtually NEVER rewritten. In fact they repeat verbatim the intros, bumps, tags and teases I write as well. I am not alone. In my shop FTOJRLST does much the same. Down the road, RAD pulls it off aplomb. Surely, it isn't a Carolina thing. I'm betting more photogs toil solo all across our fruited plain, but the way this age old method has been vilified on this board, I wouldn't blame them if they kept it to themselves. Do what you want with the trinket race. But when you pronounce photogs incapable of producing quality material all by themselves, you insult those of us who prove you wrong on a daily basis.

Pithy Epistles from the Thinking Man's Photog at lenslinger.com
Old 10-30-2009, 07:43 PM

1911A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffton View Post
I say NO! If a reporter wants to shoot video and edit it then the reporter should enter it in a photography contest. If a photographer wants to write a story, then (s)he should enter it into a writing contest.

OMB Award = "She's pretty good for a girl." NO thank you. I want to be awarded for being the best, but not the "...pretty good for a OMB."

Just a thought.
^
This.

If I were to enter something I shot, wrote and edited and I thought it was good enough, I'd just put it in the appropriate category and let it compete with all the other stories.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Stephen Press

cameragod is on a distinguished road

The thing about awards is often the story behind the story, the nightmare mass of events and disasters that the shooter overcame to make the story, is what they are thinking about when they enter. That’s not what we see. When we look at the final product we don’t know what went on behind the scenes. The public don’t know. OMB, two man or the whole damn newsroom it doesn’t matter to the public, so should it matter to us?
Winning OMB will always be a bit like that fat kid at school who always won the prize for most effort…
The most beautiful girl in the whole room.

"A Cameraman without a camera is just a man." Stephen Press
Old 10-30-2009, 10:18 PM

At the scene is on a distinguished road

I believe if you have a one man band category. You have to open the same rules and categories for it. I just don't think it would be fair that a one man band who enters in general has to compete against the feature, spot news, sports, and in depth all in one category.

Then the complaint would be why do the 2 man crews have seperate categories. I say keep it the way you have it and everyone enters, one or two man crews in the categories listed without separating one man bands.