Go Back   b-roll.net FORUM > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Founder
Kevin Johnson

b-roll will become famous soon enough
Default Need Your Ideas for the b-roll.net AWARDS

We’re coming up on the 3rd Annual b-roll.net AWARDS, and we couldn’t be more excited. The caliber of work in the competition in the past 2 years has been amazing. We can’t wait to see what gets entered in the contest this year.

Since this is YOUR contest, we need your ideas.

Here are the contest categories and specifics from last years contest. What, if anything, should we change? Do we need to add categories? Drop some? Tweak the rules? Let me know what you think…

Spot News
Single Story Entry
Maximum Entry Length: 3 minutes
Completion Time Limit: 8 hours
Definition: A single, unanticipated news event for which there was no ability to plan in advance. Examples of spot news include but are not limited to crime, fires, accidents and other disasters.

General News
Single Story Entry
Completion Time Limit: 12 hours
Definition: A single, issue oriented news event for which there was time to prepare. General news stories should contain no music unless it is part of the natural sound of the story.

Feature (Soft)
Single Story Entry
Completion Time Limit: 48 hours
Definition: A single report, lighter in nature, with a subject profile or human interest angle.

In Depth
Single Story Entry
Maximum Entry Length: 10 minutes
Completion Time Limit: none
Definition: A single story or series on one specific topic, requiring exemplary effort on the part of the photographer producing the story. Entry may be a composite of up to three stories as long it stays within the time limit and has 1 second of black between stories. Stories and topics covered should not be considered investigative in nature.

Live Shot / Standup
Compilation Entry
Maximum Entry Length: 2 minutes
Definition: A compilation entry of creative and innovative live or taped standups. Entry should be a composite of at least three but no more than five standups, as long it abides to time limit and has 1 second of black between stand ups.

Breaking News
Single Live Story Entry
Completion Time Limit: 2 hours
Definition: A single, unanticipated news event that is aired simultaneously within or outside of a regularly-scheduled newscast. Entry may include multiple live elements. Air-check presentation is required.

Feature (Hard)
Single Story Entry
Maximum Entry Length: 5 minutes
Completion Time Limit: 48 hours
Definition: A single, serious approach to a subject. The report should be hard news in nature.

Sports
Single Story Entry
Completion Time Limit: 24 hours
Definition: A single sports story, best treatment of a sporting event, or sports feature (entry should contain sports action).

Franchise
Single Story or Compilation Entry
Maximum Entry Length: 5 minutes
Definition: A single story or compilation of stories aired in a locally branded segment. Entry may include but is not limited to politics, health, education, environment, or consumer issues. Clips can be composite entries of up to three stories as long it abides to time limit and has 1 second of black between stories. If available, airchecks should be entered. Stories in this category should not be investigative in nature.

Investigative
Single Story Entry
Maximum Entry Length: 10 minutes
Definition: A story that is enterprise in nature. Clips should contain original elements and may include investigative elements such as undercover sources, documents and public records, hidden cameras, ambush interviews, etc.

Last edited by b-roll; 10-04-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:59 PM
PRO user
Jim Sitton

jim sitton is on a distinguished road

I'd like to see the "completion times" for both hard and soft features dropped.
We sometimes shoot early and hold for sweeps or will promote them for a day or two.
I had a couple of stories last year that were ineligible because they didn't air within 48 hrs.

Kevin, I'm still amazed that there are no entry fees and you (Sponsors) give Nice prizes and
Trophies.
NATAS could learn a few things from you!
Good luck.

Homer Simpson
Old 10-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Brad Ingram

Tdomi74

Kevin:
I'd like to see adding a category this year, there are a lot of good Nat Sound Packages that are being produced that are failing to be award because they don't fit into a specific category. Since B-Roll is for photographers I'd vote for adding this too B-Roll contest this year.

Brad
Old 10-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Founder
Kevin Johnson

b-roll will become famous soon enough

Thanks Jim -
I think we can work on the completion time requirements.

Thanks Brad -
I like the idea of a Nat Sound category. I like the idea of 10 categories, so we may have to drop one to pick up Nat Sound. What category should be dropped?
http://b-roll.net
Old 10-05-2009, 08:32 AM

krazycamera
Cool

I too am a fan of a Natsound/talent led category - ie no reporter or voice track.

I'll be controversial and say 'General News' could fall by the wayside.
We pretty much all do general news every day.
General News is defined "news event for which there was time to prepare" - isn't that essentially spot news? Just a thought.

Will there be a separate tier for 'international' entrants, or will this year be all-in, guns blazing?
Old 10-05-2009, 12:19 PM
PRO user
Richard Adkins

Rad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim sitton View Post
I agree with dropping the completion time in these two categories...

If you want to drop a category, how about dropping sports? Most sports stories could fit the other feature or news categoies.

What category was least entered over the last two years? Maybe that should be the one to go?

I would like to find a way to celebrate the "photography" separate from the story.... Maybe that's just part of the judging criteria, but I hate to see poor photography win becuse the STORY is compelling.

Finally, I would like to see a way to reward inovation. Best new technique or approach... Again, maybe it's not a category, but part of the judging criteria.

Purveyor of moving images, Pundit for the TV News Photographer.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:04 PM
PRO user
Jim Sitton

Lord knows I do not want to start another VJ thread but,
How about a VJ category where the story has to be shot, written, voiced and edited by the same person.
It is our new reality in this "Newsroom of the future (past)."
Old 10-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Brad Ingram

Tdomi74

I'd drop standups/live shots, since we require it for b-roller of the year, I think that we make make the entrant put together a b-roller of the year entry and upload everything into one whole entry. Kind of what the NPPA does for it's p.o.y., then that would open it up in the indivual catergories.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Ozkar Palomo

Latin Lens is on a distinguished road

In order to get the NatPkg category in....I vote is to drop the Franchise. I would rather save the individual stand up category to showcase some imagination and/or innovation...sometimes the entire story can de somewhat dry but the standup is cool and catchy. The Franchise category can be formulaic...especially if you shoot alot of them.

"FOX news channel.......NOT for the squimish."--Ozkar Palomo

"ACTION may tell the story, but REACTION makes it memorable"--THE David Wertheimer
Old 10-05-2009, 04:17 PM
PRO user
Richard Adkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin Lens View Post
In order to get the NatPkg category in....I vote is to drop the Franchise. I would rather save the individual stand up category to showcase some imagination and/or innovation...sometimes the entire story can de somewhat dry but the standup is cool and catchy. The Franchise category can be formulaic...especially if you shoot alot of them.
I could back this idea... again, many good franchise peice could enter feature or general news.

Just for the record, I don't have a single "nat-sound" peice to enter... but I could enter a "franchise" peice. ;-)

Old 10-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Joseph O'Neill

JoeyO38 is on a distinguished road

I love the standup/liveshot category because I love to watch what other people can do. I don't think there should be a time limit on entry length only because two great liveshots could easily go a minute each.

I think Spot and Breaking news are very similar. Maybe consider dropping breaking news? I too believe Franchise could fit under Feature or In-Depth stories.

The past two years I have been a fan of what 5 constitutes the core categories.

Really look forward to this contest each year. Keep up the good work!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:25 AM

jtimm is on a distinguished road

How about a "Sports Feature" category and or a "Sports Series" category.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:10 PM

1911A1

Quote:
We sometimes shoot early and hold for sweeps or will promote them for a day or two.
I had a couple of stories last year that were ineligible because they didn't air within 48 hrs.

In the case of features, I'd interpret that as the amount of time it took you to complete the story, not when it aired.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:05 AM
There's no ketchup on a Chicago dog!

Chicago Dog is on a distinguished road

I think you can combine the "Franchise" and "Feature (Hard)" into one category. They're almost identical, the only real difference being the completion time. You could keep the "Franchise" category and just rename "Feature (Soft)" to "Feature" while keeping the same description.

Combine "Breaking News" and "Spot News." They're one in the same, really.

In the "Spot News" category, I'd like to see the completion time drastically shortened. Eight hours is still a long time for a truly polished story to come out of a spot news situation. I have a feeling that the vast majority of these entries are going to be from 10/11pm newscasts.

In my opinion, spot news is the absolute ultimate and very definition of news: a photojournalist truly doesn't understand just how far they can push themselves until they experience the extreme pressure of a fast-approaching deadline. To me, that's where the real rush of news is!

Quote:
Lord knows I do not want to start another VJ thread but,
How about a VJ category where the story has to be shot, written, voiced and edited by the same person.
It is our new reality in this "Newsroom of the future (past)."
I disagree. If they want to claim their work is just as good as the big dogs, they can compete with us without special treatment.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:29 PM
PRO user
Jim Sitton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Dog View Post
If they want to claim their work is just as good as the big dogs, they can compete with us without special treatment.
good point.

Homer Simpson
Old 10-07-2009, 08:13 PM

1911A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Dog View Post
In the "Spot News" category, I'd like to see the completion time drastically shortened. Eight hours is still a long time for a truly polished story to come out of a spot news situation. I have a feeling that the vast majority of these entries are going to be from 10/11pm newscasts.

In my opinion, spot news is the absolute ultimate and very definition of news: a photojournalist truly doesn't understand just how far they can push themselves until they experience the extreme pressure of a fast-approaching deadline. To me, that's where the real rush of news is!

You're confusing the coverage with the content. The amount of shooting and editing time doesn't dictate what "spot news" is. The subject of the story is what determines wheter it's spot news or not.

If a shooting or fire happens at 10am and it's a vo/sot at noon and the lead story at 6pm, it's still "spot news". Hell, if you work for a FOX station that does a 9pm news (11 hours after the shooting happened) the story is still a spot news one.

I routinely do general assignment and even semi-"feature" pkgs in four hours or less. Using your definition, should they be called "spot news" stories because there's a "rush" to get them shot, cut and on the air?

Old 10-07-2009, 10:32 PM
PRO user
Danny Rogers

Brock Samson is on a distinguished road

Just tossing this out there-

What about a category that could potentially be raw video of a great "get?"
What I mean is it could be those kinds of things where you are driving down the highway, see a police chase, follow them, and get awesome video of some guy wrestling with the cops. Or some dude running into a burning building to save a kid. You know, realy crazy stuff like that.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:32 AM
PRO user
Ed Sharpe

couryhouse is on a distinguished road

First off.... this B-Roll contest is sure neat...

A few more catagories are a great idea.

I would like to see technical inovation added as well.
some of us like a little engineering bent mixed in too...

I am not opposed to a VJ catagory... although in reality we are all doing the same thing.... reporting news. I do hve to credit the VJ that has to be all to do all thoughout the entire process. but... there are some old time station photogs that have done this also..... for years! Not all are blessed with the bugget for a crew...

A good newsman will
never go hungry in this town!

___

Ed Sharpe - I live my life vicariously though myself!

Archivist for SMECC - A Communications and Computation Museum -AZhttp://www.smecc.org

Videographer for Glendale Daily Planet and KKAT-TV

Last edited by couryhouse; 10-08-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:23 AM
PRO user
Richard Adkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Samson View Post
Just tossing this out there-

What about a category that could potentially be raw video of a great "get?"
What I mean is it could be those kinds of things where you are driving down the highway, see a police chase, follow them, and get awesome video of some guy wrestling with the cops. Or some dude running into a burning building to save a kid. You know, realy crazy stuff like that.
In the first year, we talked about a "Best Moment" category, but in the end, I think you just have to parse down the categories to make it manageable.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:15 AM
PRO user
George Atkins

thru-the-lens is on a distinguished road
Wink Bears~

BEST ANIMAL STORY. This one is for the producers out there who just love these stories.

thru-the-lens.