Go Back   b-roll.net FORUM > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2008, 02:37 PM

Buck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Us vs Them: Newspapers are dying and THIS is how they promote themselves?

Compliments of the Austin-American Statesman

Old 11-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Ozkar Palomo

Latin Lens is on a distinguished road

My initail thoughts were "This is pretty funny" but it kinda hurts....got a little personal there. At least they are attacking the "talent" and not THE TALENT...hahahahaha.

"FOX news channel.......NOT for the squimish."--Ozkar Palomo

"ACTION may tell the story, but REACTION makes it memorable"--THE David Wertheimer
Old 11-28-2008, 03:19 PM

woodsiecam is an unknown quantity at this point

aww... it's hard to stay mad at them when the last time I used their product, it was to house train my labrador.

that said - they think the best way to promote their website is by showing jump-cuts and snap-zooms from a dying newsroom? nice.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:39 PM

at the plate

I wonder what the Statesman paid the ad agency to produce and shoot these spots (along with the actor)?
I'll bet it wasn't done "in house". Cox Newspapers reinventing themselves as TV stations because newspapers are dead.

There was a time when I could spread a newspaper out on my kitchen table and casually read what TV couldn't cover. Now they can't do either jobs well because they want to be "TV". A newspaper reporter devoting his/her efforts to shooting video simply can't give stories the depth that print can, or deserve.

I'm sorry, reading the "paper" on my laptop and watching your reporters play "TV" in a 3"x4" window while drinking my morning coffee doesn't give me the depth that newspapers provided. It just gives me another source for superficial 1:30 coverage.

Last edited by at the plate; 11-28-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:45 PM

Deft Depth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsiecam View Post
by showing jump-cuts and snap-zooms from a dying newsroom? nice.
But it was so...edgy! And those drums! We never have drum circles in our newsroom!
Old 11-28-2008, 03:47 PM

Baltimore's Finest Fotog is on a distinguished road

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Regardless...this will make you feel better...

"I don't know much 'bout cards, but I think these 4 5s beat that full house." ~ Omar Little (The Wire)
Old 11-28-2008, 05:23 PM

Wheatstone Bridge is on a distinguished road
Default They are perfectly right on the money ! !

Dude , what are you pissed off about ? They are right on the money . . . local tv news is all about eye candy and being anorexic . . . .
Old 11-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Ozkar Palomo

Latin Lens is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatstone Bridge View Post
Dude , what are you pissed off about ? They are right on the money . . . local tv news is all about eye candy and being anorexic . . . .

Its not that I am pissed off by these ads...I actually think they're funny...to an extent. Its funny because it makes fun of the exaggeration....hence the joke attack by the Statesman.

Most of the journalists in TV that I have worked with have not fit this mold...are there primadona TV reporters? Sure....but where are the primadona Print reporters? The ones who think they are such great writers they vow to be the next Hunter S. Thompson?

Its a clever ad approach...and we knock it because its kinda our competition in the medium....I say kinda because newspapers have been slowly going into extinction.

"FOX news channel.......NOT for the squimish."--Ozkar Palomo

"ACTION may tell the story, but REACTION makes it memorable"--THE David Wertheimer
Old 11-28-2008, 07:22 PM
There's no ketchup on a Chicago dog!

Chicago Dog is on a distinguished road

How many screen names does Go Daddy/Lake4 have?
Old 11-28-2008, 07:45 PM

newsshooter

http://www.statesman.com/ Check out their video player and their black Friday stories. I hope it didn't take them all day to shoot and edit them. I could have knocked them out in about 20 minutes. They are putting together NAT SOT/VO's They might think they are nat sound packages. We need to go into consulting newspapers on how to shoot and edit. There might be a market for it. The promo is nothing like their stories.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Banned
Nino Giannotti

Nino will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatstone Bridge View Post
Newspaper VJs dont need to look good in the unemployment line

Quote:
The Star-Ledger, New Jerseys largest newspaper, will cut its newsroom staff about 40 percent by years end, one of the largest reductions in a single move by a major American paper.

This only few months after they were trained and converted to video by MR, a move that was sure to return the paper to profitability according to MR.

Another success story of Titanic proportion
Old 11-28-2008, 10:31 PM

Shootblue

I don't think anyone really knows why the gravitation to video by newspapers started...you don't see us doing podcasts or printing our scripts for sale...
Old 11-28-2008, 10:44 PM

Buck is an unknown quantity at this point

I just don't get what they are trying to accomplish. Don't they realize the majority of tv stations also have a web presence these days?

I have no problem with them bragging about themselves, but putting down local tv just cries of desperation.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:04 PM

Horonto is on a distinguished road

In an effort to connect with a younger audience the newspapers have figured out a campaing that will appeal to thecollege age student of privilege.

Do we need an eh-roll on b-roll?

Last edited by Horonto; 11-29-2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Usual: Crappy typing poor spelling.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:41 PM
There's no ketchup on a Chicago dog!

Chicago Dog is on a distinguished road

My favorite part is that most of the crap that's shot is in the newsroom or the parking lot. The guy whipping out the cell phone is probably walking past some landscaping next to the building.

At least the OMB/VJs at KRON have shots of themselves driving. Albeit, it was a shot of the dashboard -- but at least they got into the car!
Old 11-29-2008, 03:47 AM
Peter Mongillo

SeattleShooter is on a distinguished road

whats a newspaper?

But think of it this way. Television stations will STILL take their money to air the ads.

"I live my life in a 32k world."
Old 11-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Alex Lucas

AlexLucas is on a distinguished road

I love the drum kicks, and the shooting style.

I say bump it up a notch... Insert some shots of some guy with an eyepatch making out with a Victoria's Secret model or a Cylon raider exploding as a Viper does a flyby, and you've got a hell of an intro for your webcast.

Methinks someone from the ad agency just got a Battlestar Galactica box set.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:12 PM
PRO user
Brian Wasilauski

satop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
I just don't get what they are trying to accomplish. Don't they realize the majority of tv stations also have a web presence these days?

I have no problem with them bragging about themselves, but putting down local tv just cries of desperation.

It reminds me of the attitude that a lot of print reporters have had the whole time....they are the "real" journalists, and us in TV are nothing more than pretty actors. I see it when I cover sports all the time....there is so much hatred for the TV people from the print people....even saw a fist fight in the phillies clubhouse a few years ago....IMO, it is nothing more than jealousy.

Even saw it at an NPPA clinic a few years ago....there was a video session for print people, I went because the TV class didn't interest me, and there was just so much hatred from the people teaching the class directed towards TV photography.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:19 PM

cameradog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Dog View Post
How many screen names does Go Daddy/Lake4 have?
That's not Go Daddy. That's Rosenblum.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:01 PM

woodsiecam is an unknown quantity at this point

I like this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfBPDOeY__U

Funny, effective, and any local newspaper could produce a similar ad for next to nothing. Instead, they choose to make fun of the industry where many of them will be applying for jobs in the future.

Last edited by woodsiecam; 11-29-2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: bad link