Old 02-16-2007, 12:42 PM

Newshutr

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Step Above Productions View Post
Any update?
How is the Photog?
What happened to the Cop?
Did the mall ever coment?
No word that I've heard of other than a deposition was made.

www.newshutr.com
Old 02-16-2007, 01:25 PM

Terry E. Toller is an unknown quantity at this point

409.5 of the CA penal code has nothing to do with this. heck, it doesn't mean much even in CA anymore...

As long as cops attack photogs and the photog and the station make nice, we will keep having this debate.

In the early 70's, tv stations started hiring black photogs left and right. they did because they knew the NAACP and the urban league would sue the heck out of them if they didn't. those groups didn't mess around and management changed...

Cops need to be held accountable! the only tool we have is the law. the law is a wonderful thing when you use it to your advantage... when the fix is equal, justice will prevail...
Old 02-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Warren Watson

Baltimore Shooter is on a distinguished road

Warren

For Actor / Talent / Voiceover work - www.warrenwatson.net
Old 02-19-2007, 07:54 PM

Jonathan
Talking

Guys the biggest way that you can change the system is using your wallet. Don't shop at the malls, and don't give them any good publicity. I have found that malls charge an arm and a leg for rent these days and only attract vendors who have to sell overpriced crap to pay the rent. Just take a look around, malls are suffering from low sales and are attracting more fly by night/high profit businesses like massage booths,$20 paper plane booths, sunglass huts, cell phone booths, $40 miracle creams, samurai sword centers, etc...etc.... It is a Fleamarket of crap now! Have you ever been given a high pressure sales pitch by the guys working the middle booths? Just spend some time in your local mall and you will have cream rubbed on you scarfs thrown at you and so on.

This mall probably just didn't want the public to know how dangerous it had gotten there. Part of the problem is the gang apparel stores that have setup shop in most malls these days attract the wrong crowd.

Don't shoot broadcast quality videos of the mall any more. Shoot from the parking lot, or the copter and talk about how unsafe it is to take a camera crew inside. Use a hidden lipstick camera for any shots inside which will make the mall look even more shady. I will argue for a fullsize camera any day but in some situations it just isn't the tool for the job. I am excited about how cell phones are advancing pretty soon if these places want to outlaw cameras they will have to outlaw cell phones too. Not gonna happen.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:29 AM

MixMinus

One time a security guard put his hand in front of my camera while I was shooting hail hitting the ground in a parking lot at a mall. It was one of those spur of the moment decisions to get hail video, very rare in Monterey, California. I was in the wrong for shooting without permission, but had I tried to get permission I would have missed the opportunity. Needless to say, the security guard called for backup and they refused to let me shoot the ground. So I put my camera away and my reporter and I ate lunch there.

Anyway . . . I'm so glad this photog was in the right in this case.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:59 PM

Rack Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Guys the biggest way that you can change the system is using your wallet. Don't shop at the malls, and don't give them any good publicity.
Not giving them any good publicity is a great idea....IF you have a manager or producer with a set of balls.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:21 AM
Erin Michael Winking

ewink

Of course most of them don't.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:36 AM
Josh Kuhn

Run 'n' Get 'em

Despite some idiot cops, They do make sacrifices for people too... A local sheriff's deputy was just pulling over a car tonight and it turned into this: http://www.wyff4.com/news/11130300/detail.html

I will stand my ground against one like in the mall mentioned here, but all cops have my respect...