Old 04-08-2015, 01:16 PM

newsshooter
Default Sony FS-7 or the Canon 300 Mark II

I just received my B&H email that says Canon has their new C-300 hitting the streets. It's 5,000 more then the Sony FS-7. I've had great success with my Sony Ex-1. I want a camera I can do higher end corporate video and some news shooting with. The FS-7 with their zoom lens looks like a normal ENG camera. for 10,500. The 300 can't be that much better then the FS-7 and the 300 wouldn't be a great ENG camera. I shoot with the C-100 now and it would be impossible or a bit more difficult to gather news with it.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:26 PM

Run&Gun is an unknown quantity at this point

Just received the same email a little while ago. YAWN. Same body I hate with 4K. The originals are worthless on the used market, now, after the crazy price drop the other week. No reason to sell it for a few $K when I can make more money continuing to rent it out and shoot with it myself. I'll continue to ride my C300 while it's still in-demand and probably get an (used)F55 I have a line on.

EDIT:

OK, just found a video from Canon and maybe I was a little hasty with my comments(the B&H email didn't have all the details that the video has). The body and lack of IN's & OUT's still disappoint me, but after watching the video, now I'm liking the improvements they've made.

Last edited by Run&Gun; 04-08-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:46 PM
Jacques Philip Star

Starman is on a distinguished road

I agree, C300 MK1 still a good option. I rent the C300 MK1 on a regular basis, I will probably buy one due to the price drop. It will still be a relevant camera for another 2-3 years. And at that price point, it makes sense to buy rather than the hassle of renting. I also already have all Canon glass and support gear.

I may look at the Sony F5 or something high end in the future though. Don't the F5 and F55 have a crop feature where you can center punch and use 2/3 inch glass?
http://www.liquidassets.tv
Star Video Productions
http://www.jacquesstarvideoproductions.com
Old 04-08-2015, 02:10 PM
Marshall Staton

marstaton4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman View Post
I may look at the Sony F5 or something high end in the future though. Don't the F5 and F55 have a crop feature where you can center punch and use 2/3 inch glass?
There are some "dumb" adapters that allow you to use B4 lenses on the FS7 as well. If I'm not mistaken you have to use a lens with a built in extender and engage it to project an image big enough to cover the sensor. Sounds like you also lose about 4 stops with it from what I've read. Then you have to power the lens if you want to use the servo, which you can do with a adapter cable that plugs into p-tap.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:58 PM

Run&Gun is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marstaton4 View Post
There are some "dumb" adapters that allow you to use B4 lenses on the FS7 as well. If I'm not mistaken you have to use a lens with a built in extender and engage it to project an image big enough to cover the sensor. Sounds like you also lose about 4 stops with it from what I've read. Then you have to power the lens if you want to use the servo, which you can do with a adapter cable that plugs into p-tap.
With the IBE adapter that has all of the optical elements for the correction(2/3" to s35, no built-in 2x required), I believe it's 2.6 stops. There is one for the 5/55 that works with the center crop mode that only costs you, I believe, 1 stop. I don't know if it works with the 7.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:25 PM

Necktie Boy is on a distinguished road

Don't forget the new XF-AVC Codec. NLE will require a new codec to edit the footage.

Also, I did come across a dumb 2/3 adapter for E-mount cameras. Less than $100 bucks on ebay.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:18 PM
Jacques Philip Star

Starman is on a distinguished road

Yes, but question remains, will the FS7 center crop so you can use a dumb adapter? Other option is a $6,000 magnifying adapter for the C300, but that is expensive
http://www.liquidassets.tv
Star Video Productions
http://www.jacquesstarvideoproductions.com
Old 04-09-2015, 07:08 PM

AFAK No center crop. So you need a lens with a doubler to cover the sensor.

You can't have everything for $8500 bucks.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:53 PM
PRO user
Doug Jensen

Douglas is on a distinguished road

Oh yes you can, Sony has already announced that the FS7 will get center crop after a future firmware update.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:16 AM
Marshall Staton

marstaton4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Oh yes you can, Sony has already announced that the FS7 will get center crop after a future firmware update.
Excellent news! Thanks for sharing.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but what are people using these days for lens supports on a rod system. It sounds like the general consensus is that the E-mount is a bit "fragile." I typically use SLR glass but would love to throw a B4 or 200mm lens on and not have to be as concerned about it.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:55 AM
PRO user
Dennis Hart

dhart is on a distinguished road

Checked with my crew booking agency the other day. He said a lot of DPs were buying the FS-7 but the demand was still mainly for the C-300. Remains to be seen if the FS-7 prevails at least in crew booking situations.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:01 AM
PRO user
Doug Jensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by marstaton4 View Post
Excellent news! Thanks for sharing.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but what are people using these days for lens supports on a rod system. It sounds like the general consensus is that the E-mount is a bit "fragile." I typically use SLR glass but would love to throw a B4 or 200mm lens on and not have to be as concerned about it.

I've used this one from Shape for a few years.
It's cheap, it's easy to adjust or remove completely, and it works with every lens I own.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...G&Q=&A=details
Old 04-10-2015, 01:41 PM

Douglas,

That is good news that the FS7 will get a center crop! Thanks for jumping in and clearing that up.

But when?
Old 04-16-2015, 10:07 PM
Dieter Melhorn

Cameradude

Order of importance:

1) F5

2) C300 (one free throw out of a tie for 1st)

3) FS-7

4) The rest....
Old 04-17-2015, 06:27 AM
PRO user
Doug Jensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necktie Boy View Post
Douglas,

That is good news that the FS7 will get a center crop! Thanks for jumping in and clearing that up.
But when?
With firmware version 3.0 sometime during 2015. I don't think Sony has been more specific than that. My feeling is that it might come in June for Cine Gear, but I could be wrong.