Old 01-17-2016, 07:55 AM

MikeW is on a distinguished road
Default Hi8 breakage

Back in the day, I shot with a Sony V-5000, the coolest camera I ever owned. Lately, I have been going through some of my old show. Problem is my Hi8 tapes seem to be getting fragile. Two tapes snapped already. The two ends are inside the cassette.

Has this happened to anyone here? Is there anything I can to keep it from happening again? What do you recommend as a repair?
Old 01-18-2016, 01:27 PM

Necktie Boy is on a distinguished road

I may be off base, but it sounds the reels are getting sticky, not able to turn? If these are very important tapes to you, I would bite the bullet and manually rewind or fast forward by hand. Lift the dust cover so that the reels can turn. Use like a flathead screw driver to turn the reels. It will take some time, but it may loosen the reels enough for one pass to move them to another media.

I have fixed a few VHS tapes for a few friends, but they broke near the ends. One tape, the reels got jammed. Move the tape into another shell.

I do remember that camera. It had some sweet features. The pop out mic on the side of the camera.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:23 AM
Cyndy Green

cyndygreen is on a distinguished road

Good one Necktie...but I use the eraser on a new pencil...a bit more give than a screwdriver.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:40 PM

Run&Gun is an unknown quantity at this point

Or send them to a professional service that specializes. Won't be cheap, but better than losing the footage forever.