Go Back   b-roll.net FORUM > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2014, 10:03 AM
John DuMontelle

Lensmith is on a distinguished road
Default Interactive "where can I fly my drone" map

Here's a basic, interactive map to help understand current drone "no-fly" locations...until the FAA can get their act together with a better, clear, opinion on commercial drone use.

https://www.mapbox.com/drone/no-fly/...43.549/-97.031
Old 08-12-2014, 02:15 PM

Focused is on a distinguished road
Default map

Who put that map together?
Old 08-13-2014, 08:08 AM
John DuMontelle

Here's some background on how this map was produced.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ned-skies.html
Old 08-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Cinemaphotographer ASP/SOP/BSP

prosheditor is an unknown quantity at this point

What an incredible waste of time. Does someone actually need a map to tell them not to fly at those types of locations? It seems like common sense.

At first, I thought it was a joke showing the entire U.S. as a no-fly zone for RC because those faint dots just look like topography marks, but that may be the case if anti-UAS people like you are in charge of composing the regulations.

LS, depending on how fast you pick up on how to use this platform, it's probably too late for you and all that think like you to get into this game. But, if you wait around for regulations to be put in place, you will have definitely missed that plane. By that time, every kid and interested adult in the world will have one or three of them and your pitch to your clients will be ignored or laughed at when they say, oh, we already use XYZ and he does it for half of what you charge.

You can at least learn to fly without breaking any rules and if you did get in the air, I'd bet even you would relax your negative outlook. Good luck while watching everybody else have some fun and maybe make some money if there's any left by that time.

Hooterville 2 Poserville >> My Bio

Chicago Dog: "Jesus, Prosh. Cut down that annoying signature."

There's some things producers can pay for, for everything else there's the Craig's List Mastercard
Old 08-13-2014, 06:44 PM
John DuMontelle

Drone photography is like underwater photography.
I don't need to add those skills, or invest in that equipment, to make a buck.
I respect the fact shooting images with that equipment and under those conditions is very different from what I'm paid to shoot.
I'm not threatened by it.
Nor do I feel like I'm missing out on any opportunities by not leaping into those aspects of video production.
Drone work, like underwater work, has limited applications.
Frankly, I have already done two corporate shoots here in Miami where we brought in a very experienced guy who shoots top shelf video with his drones.
He's a great friend and we both made money.
He also has liability insurance...unlike so many others.
I wish all others the very best if shooting with drones is what they're interested in.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:23 PM
Cinemaphotographer ASP/SOP/BSP

prosheditor is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensmith View Post
. . . Frankly, I have already done two corporate shoots here in Miami where we brought in a very experienced guy who shoots top shelf video with his drones.

He's a great friend and we both made money. . . .
Really? So the outspoken, fence-riding, by-the-book advocate, Mr LS, actually colluded in "illegal" RC flight operations and got paid for it after lecturing this website's viewers, SVP and crticizing all the other worldwide irresponsible violators? But you're not really guilty because you insulated yourself by hiring the actual violator and didn't actually perform the flight(s) yourself, right? Apparently it's okay if you do it.

You're just as bad as SVP for inadvertently implicating your friend(s) in questionable activity.

You need to get a life, stop lecturing on things you don't know enough about and quit trying to manage everyone else's business and mind your own. Instead of congesting this forum's topics with multiple similar topic threads, why don't you simply start a dedicated thread and call it The Yet Another Drone Thread or whatever you want to call it? Thanks

And if you try to start back-pedalling, just take a look at what you said here (post #12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensmith
. . . Once the FAA puts some real rules and regulations in place covering the use of drones for commercial/news use...I will have no problem with drones being used

Until that happens, they should not be flying at all unless operated by a government agency. . . .
and here (post #15) both in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensmith
. . . Yes, like anything, there will be a few who ignore the rules and do it anyway. . . .

. . . Anyway, Chris, I look forward to hearing the name of the insurance company. It will go a long way in helping all of us get some better pictures and make a buck...safely. . . .
Ignoring the rules and doing it anyway? Who could be doing that? Make a buck safely? What about legally?

Hooterville 2 Poserville >> My Bio

Chicago Dog: "Jesus, Prosh. Cut down that annoying signature."

There's some things producers can pay for, for everything else there's the Craig's List Mastercard

Last edited by prosheditor; 08-14-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:58 PM
John DuMontelle

We used the drone indoors.

An enclosed building atrium.

Private property and not in "air space".

No FAA issues at all.

We checked.

Sorry to disappoint you and your misguided quoting efforts.