Old 03-31-2012, 12:26 AM
Matthew Frank

SLOStringer is on a distinguished road
Default What's the Vegas Freelance ENG Market Like?

Are there stringers in Vegas, or is everything so well staffed by the different stations that they are no longer needed?

Looking for any other info on Freelance in Vegas - Im considering more frequent visits to the city, or some extended "vacations".

Thanks
Old 04-02-2012, 01:39 AM
Matthew Frank

Anyone? All stations pretty much have dedicated overnight shooters and theres no room for stringers or what? Someone on the board has to be from Vegas and know whats goin on...
Old 04-02-2012, 02:34 PM

filter4preset

Give the assignment desks a call. They will give you much better info then most of us could speculate.

Given that, here's a little speculation. This business like all business is about relationships and those take time to develop. It takes a long time to build a strong book of business. It's pretty hard to just pop into a town and find steady work at your convenience. An assignment editor wants someone who knows the city, is available in a pinch and has a proven track record in town. All three things are working against you. That said, make a few phone calls. That's how the rest of us drum up clients. Don't expect your competition to give you their jobs. Overall we're nice guys but not that nice.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:29 AM

filter4preset

A little extra advice SLOS, when you ask for help and then beg for help and someone offers you a little advice, say thank you. Sorry you didn't get the answer you were looking for but that's the reality of this business. Anyone can buy a camera. It's the very minimum requirement to call you a cameraman. It's what you do with that camera and how you run your business that really defines you.

This board is a community of professionals and you should appreciate the opportunity to learn from our experiences. It's ok to ask newbie questions. That's how you learn. But don't expect others to write your business plan for you. We are busy enough running our own businesses. If someone finds a moment to steer you in the right direction say thanks, it goes a long way. Otherwise you're just another arrogant jagoff with an overpriced home video camera. None of us take those guys seriously.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Matthew Frank

Ive been having several PM conversations with people who have given a couple of key contacts, local tips, info on the stations, etc. - it seems as the public posting portion of this board is just about dead. Sad :/

Your post came off to me as starting with I don't want to help you, and I don't know the area, but...., and then gave some common sense type generalized ideas.

Thank you so much for your extremely helpful post, filter. If I hadn't already of done those things, then I probably would have put more thought into a reply.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:30 PM

PopShaker

Try channel 3. You might be able to get a staff gig.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:07 PM

filter4preset

You're welcome. Since you seem to know everything already I would be wasting my time giving you any future advice. Best of luck.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 PM
James Jackson

jajack71
Default Freelance In Vegas

Hey there like Pop Shaker told you look for the staff position. They didn't pay much when I was a staff shooter in Las Vegas. As far as freelance outside of news I would get a good gig every now and then. With the new wave of DSLR shooters I'm sure the prices has dropped. I'm in Orlando and shooters where getting about 100.00 as of late the rate went down to 75.00 Best of luck to you.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Matthew Frank

Hey Filter - sincerely... thank you for firing up the interest in my thread

A staff job wouldnt be for me as I wouldnt be looking to move full time - a family member is looking to buy a 2nd house there that would be vacant the majority of the time that I would have access to - was considering spending the weekends out there or Thurs-Sundays or something like that at times.

Was just something I had considered and figured Id throw up a post about it. Seems really the only way I can see if it would work out is to show up and shoot and then contact the agencies and see if there is interest.

Especially now that Ive begun to invest in equipment I cant see taking a $10/hour job as an entry level staffer and letting my stuff sit around.