Old 03-20-2012, 05:04 PM

paulisphotoman
Default Canon EOS Rebel T2i

Any thoughts of this camera, esp for HD Video ???
thanks
Old 03-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Cyndy Green

cyndygreen is on a distinguished road

I've used the t1i...excellent video but a pain to shoot with. No real audio system. Good in low light compared to my HMC150.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Tres Bruce

tresbeez is on a distinguished road

I have a T2i and use it a lot. It is the baby brother of the 5D and 7D, Its a cropped sensor like the 7D. Like most DSLRs, the ergonomics suck. I have rails and a follow-focus, but mostly I use it for lock-down shots or on my slider, havent used it much for run-and-gun.

Video looks great as long as its held still. Once the camera shakes you get the jello effect.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:48 PM

paulisphotoman

I saw one on sale thru Best Buy for $650, T3 is for $750 (adjustable viewing monitor)....just trying to good a good solid camera for still AND HD to add to my video resume
Old 03-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Marshall Staton

marstaton4

I'd recommend this site http://goo.gl/OggiW
Old 03-20-2012, 08:18 PM

paulisphotoman

thanks for the website....just trying to make a wise decision based on my limited budgets.....I am working two parttime jobs just waiting to get back into fulltime work as a DP/Videographer/Editor
Old 03-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Marshall Staton

marstaton4

Paul,

I think you would have much more luck on this board if you researched many of your questions before you posted and came back with specific questions. Ie "I like the 5d mark ii but the t2i also looks great, do you find that most clients are accepting of a crop sensor" you know, something along those lines.

People here are very helpful, but also very busy and I think a lot of the resentment over the years is from people rehashing a lot of the same questions and not using the search function/google.

That being said DSLR's have a very cinematic look and shallow DOF which isn't something that bodes well with most run and gun ENG shoots. Not to mention the whole workflow is a lot different than a real ENG camera, and about the only thing similar is that they record video and have a lens. I hope you took this as constructive.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:07 PM

paulisphotoman

Marshall, I appreciate you email, but my intent was not to bother anyone, but to get good feedback about a potential purchase. I have a busy schedule too, but good professional feedback is what I'm seeking, NOT to bug anyone. I'm not on this board every day, like some are, I'm only trying to get feedback.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:15 AM
Jim Schettler

Shocker
Default Canon Rebel T3i, not Rebel T3

Be careful when buying the Rebel T3. It's a fine camera but the Rebel T3i is the camera with the adjustable lcd viewfinder. The viewfinder is fixed on the T3 and that is why it is usually a couple hundred less than the T3i. I almost made that mistake when I bought my camera last year.

I really like the T3i because it has great depth of field. Wen I'm not using a tripod, I use the shoulder mount made by Cowboy Studios. I record audio through a Tascam DR-40. The T3i has manual audio control, I don't think the T3 has this feature.

I recommend buying the Rebel T3i, just be careful of which model you're getting.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:20 AM
Banned
Nino Giannotti

Nino will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulisphotoman View Post
Any thoughts of this camera, esp for HD Video ???
thanks
I can tell you right now that you’re going to regret buying a DSLR for the purposes that you intend to use it. I own a 5DMII as well as few other DSLR and I’m in the process of getting the MIII. I use it sparingly and only when client’s ask for it. I also own at least 15 lenses.

DSLR are awful for ENG work. By the time you add on all the attachments and accessories to turn it into an ENG tool you’ll end up spending a lot more tha if you would just buy a video camera.

To start, in order to take advantage of the DSLR capabilities you’ll be needing several lenses, unlike video there’s no one lens that can do it all.

Unlike video zoom lenses that have large apertures, the average DSLR zoom lens has a maximum F4.5 aperture, effectively killing the DSLR’s low light capabilities and the shallow depth of field that made these cameras a professional tool. For the best quality, or better yet marketable DSLR quality most photographers use prime (non zoom/fixed focal length) lenses with large apertures, and the good lenses that you see in all the advertised images cost as much as 3 times the cost of the camera body.

Audio will be a serious problem as none of these cameras have decent audio capabilities. Most if not all users record audio on an external recorder and sync it in post using the DSLR internal audio recording as reference only. A decent digital audio recorder will cost you about $300, plus cabling, mike, etc.

If I was in your shoes knowing what you are looking to do I would go with an inexpensive video camera. If you are also looking to do stills there are several video camera that also take stills. I pulled still images frames for web magazines from 1080HD videos and they looked great as long you stay below a 5x7" size.

Do an in depth homework and think ahead before spending any money.